Improvement: Add ability to undelete a note (and separate 'Remove Annonations' and removing notes)

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
James Bruce | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 11 2018 7:37 PM

I personally see this as a bug, but I've no doubt the developers see this as functioning as designed. However, I see the whole idea of linking highlights/notes to be poor design, thus broken, thus a bug.

The poor design, in my opinion, is the connection between notes and highlights. Most people don't intuitively see 'Remove annotation' as entailing 'Remove note' also. Linking the two together precludes, as best I can tell, the ability to remove a highlight while at the same time retaining the note. That's unfortunate.

IOW, adding a noted and adding a highlight are two completely separate events and concepts. (consider most of the time they are kept in two separate documents) Linking the two inseparably is bad design. (IM[NS]HO) :))

This leads to many users clicking 'Remove Annotations' having the impression that the highlight will be removed, and are quite surprised that the note is also removed. Then they are horrified when they realize there is no way to recover the note. (that's also bad, I mean unfortunate, btw; hence the subject)

Is there any way to redesign (and perhaps refactor) this process to make it more user friendly and intuitive? And, of course, adding the ability to undelete a note (even if you don't redesign the process by "unlinking" notes and highlights).

Thanks,

James

Posts 2968
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 11 2018 10:40 PM

Welcome to the forums, James.

James Bruce:
This leads to many users clicking 'Remove Annotations' having the impression that the highlight will be removed, and are quite surprised that the note is also removed. Then they are horrified when they realize there is no way to recover the note.

I’ve been burned by that issue: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/146802.aspx

Hoping the new notes implementation will fix this, as it’s time-consuming to go back and re-highlight material.

Posts 113
Mark Prim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 3:09 AM

Have you tried www.documents.logos.com to recover your notes documents?

Posts 3
James Bruce | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 3:07 PM

Thanks, but it’s not the document that is unknowingly deleted. It’s a note within the document. I don’t think that site/interface allows one to undelete a note, just a document (perhaps). 

Posts 1
Sarah Moul | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 8:18 AM

Yes, I tried that, however, the notes are not there and entirely deleted.  I have LOGOS 8 and when "remove annotations" are selected any notes are deleted and cannot be retrieved via the documents.logos.com.  Really sad, because I just did this this morning and lost all the notes I had in that section.  Very frustrating.

Posts 9751
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 9:33 AM

Sarah Moul:

Yes, I tried that, however, the notes are not there and entirely deleted.  I have LOGOS 8 and when "remove annotations" are selected any notes are deleted and cannot be retrieved via the documents.logos.com.  Really sad, because I just did this this morning and lost all the notes I had in that section.  Very frustrating.

The new notes tool saves all deleted notes in a recycle bin - there should be an icon in the bottom left corner of the tool. Just click it and choose the notes to undelete

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 627
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 10:12 AM

James Bruce:
The poor design, in my opinion, is the connection between notes and highlights.

Agreed. I burned myself with that one and shrunk back. I'm now wary of doing some things in this area. I can accept there is commonality that makes treating notes and highlights the same behind the surface but I'm too afraid now to even test things out.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 9751
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 12:07 PM

Guys, the design discussion was held some ten years ago when Logos integrated notes and highlights- this is not new. The effect that remove annotations removes both notes and highlights must have been felt back then, this is unchanged. I must admit that as a non-native speaker if I used such a functionality without knowing what it does, I'd expect it to remove notes rather than highlights (my ESL-learned understanding of "annotations" would default to notes, but it is easy for me to get that annotations are notes and highlights.)    

The strange thing is we're talking in a suggestion thread asking for undeletion of single notes - and guess what: the New Notes system brought exactly that. No need to be afraid. Smile 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1676
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 12:22 PM

NB.Mick:
The strange thing is we're talking in a suggestion thread asking for undeletion of single notes - and guess what: the New Notes system brought exactly that. No need to be afraid. Smile

👍🏽

Posts 2907
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 1:09 PM

NB.Mick:
Guys, the design discussion was held some ten years ago when Logos integrated notes and highlights- this is not new. The effect that remove annotations removes both notes and highlights must have been felt back then, this is unchanged. I must admit that as a non-native speaker if I used such a functionality without knowing what it does, I'd expect it to remove notes rather than highlights (my ESL-learned understanding of "annotations" would default to notes, but it is easy for me to get that annotations are notes and highlights.)   

As an EFL user of the software, I would expect "annotations" to include "notes". The word "annotation" means "note". Notwithstanding, "annotation" is not a common English word, and I'm not surprised by people expecting it to mean something else. Perhaps the word "annotation" should be swapped out for a simpler word.

NB.Mick:

Yes

Posts 873
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 7 2019 2:15 PM

SineNomine:

NB.Mick:

As an EFL user of the software, I would expect "annotations" to include "notes". The word "annotation" means "note". Notwithstanding, "annotation" is not a common English word, and I'm not surprised by people expecting it to mean something else. Perhaps the word "annotation" should be swapped out for a simpler word.

NB.Mick:

Yes

I agree. Separability might be a desired feature and maybe a different word would be helpful, but I would be very confused if ‘remove annotation’ deleted a highlight and not a note.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS