Errors in results from search for Hebrew root

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Ryan Nolterieke | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 12 2018 3:40 AM

I'd like to create a visual filter for all occurrences of the Hebrew root רום in Isaiah where it has the sense "pride." However, when I run the search I also get hits for other roots that have the sense "pride." So when I put this same syntax into the visual filter document, words are highlighted that shouldn't be. I can't figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a bug. My search syntax and results are in the screenshot below.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Posts 19753
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 4:44 AM

Hi Ryan - and welcome to the forums

I can reproduce this - and find something similar when doing a Lemma search with the same set of Senses

I don't know what is causing this - hopefully someone else will be able to comment

Graham

PS: And, in general, better posting these types of issues in the Logos 7 forum.

Posts 1692
LogosEmployee

The reason for this behavior is that if you search for <Sense pride>, then you are searching for that sense or any senses that are a child of that sense. The "arrogance" sense happens to be a child of "pride". If you want to only search for an exact sense, and none of its children, then you need to use the "=" operator. You can find some details in the Help file under the "Data Type References" heading in the "Advanced Searching" section.

Note also that the AND operator will find return results if the left and right side are found in the same verse, not just if they're on the same word. You'll probably want to use the INTERSECTS operator instead.

<Root = lbs/he/רום> INTERSECTS (<Sense = pride> OR <Sense = to be proud> OR <Sense = to be proud ⇔ raise up> OR <Sense = proud person>)

Posts 19753
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 9:31 AM

Thanks Andrew

It was the AND issue that was confusing me - INTERSECTS is much better 

Posts 2
Ryan Nolterieke | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 12 2018 1:45 PM

Yes, thank you, Andrew. Switching from AND to INTERSECTS did the trick.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS