Fathers of the Church Series (127 voluimes). Entirely comprehensive?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 13 2018 11:44 AM

I was wondering if this series is a compilation of ALL that Logos has on the Early church fathers (in English), or if there are still other collections that have works which are not included in this series (early Church era only). 

I already own Early Church Fathers Protestant edition. Would I be buying a ton of "replicate" works that are just translated/published by a different source?

Posts 1563
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 13 2018 1:44 PM

To my knowledge there is no such thing as an entirely comprehensive edition of the Fathers. The one you mention is probably the most complete edition in English at this time. Of course, Migne is even more comprehensive if you can handle the Latin.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Posts 25143
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 13 2018 5:25 PM

Ken McGuire:
Migne is even more comprehensive if you can handle the Latin

and Greek i.e. see Patrologia Latina, Patrologia Graeca but that still leaves the Oriental Fathers. See The North American Patristics Society for clues for comprehensive collections. Also note that Schaff is sometimes condensed or selected portions ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 132
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 6:31 AM

The 127 volume Fathers of the Church is the entire Catholic Press edition of the early church fathers. That seres is available in segments also, but this includes all of them. It includes many duplication with the edition you already have, which I will call the Schaff edition. The Catholic Press edition has a lot more works than the Schaff edition, such as including the entire Augustine expositions of the Psalms. The Catholic Press edition is also newly translated; the Schaff edition originates from the 19th century. The Catholic Press edition is under copyright, whereas Schaff is public domain. 

Catholic Press does not include the Medieval Extension collection from the same publisher.

Catholic Press covers essentially the same era and subject matter as Schaff but is more extensive and in newer translations.

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 8:35 AM

Thank you so much that is very helpful.

can you give an estimate of just "how much" theee volumes are more extensive than Schaff's? twice the amount of works? Three times? 20 times? O

Posts 1492
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 9:17 AM

I don't know how much longer the CUA 127 volumes is than Schaff's. But just as important I've found as length is the selection of works. The CUA volumes are much more centered on Scriptural commentaries and homily series from the first centuries than Schaff's volumes, which tend to avoid those works in favor of more thematic works.So, for the typical Scripture study in Logos and Verbum, the CUA series is much, much more useful.

This especially comes to light when using the amazing Ancient Literature section of the Passage Guide, which indexes every Scriptural reference in the CUA version, allowing you to easily get an overview of how Christians of the early centuries understood a certain Bible passage. Of course, Schaff is also included when available, but you'll find most references in the Passage Guide won't work if you only have Schaff, as the Schaff works are not so centered on Scripture and thus the huge majority of references are not found in those works, but in those found in the CUA collection.

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 10:53 AM

Thank you Fr Roza, that is a helpful endorsement.

I would still be very interested to know what percentage of overlap there exist between the CUA series and Schaff's. 

Posts 564
Ted Weis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 3:51 PM

Here's the link to the 127 volumes of the Father of the Church series

https://www.logos.com/product/33665/fathers-of-the-church-series

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 14 2018 6:01 PM

Thank you for the link, that is how I originally came up with the question in the post.

I am very curious to know what percent of overlap there exist between the CUA series and Schaff's (and if Schaff's has any works not included in CUA). 

Alex

Posts 132
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 15 2018 4:11 AM

Another point about the CUA set to keep in mind - it is onoing. 

I believe it is 132 volumes now, with 5 not available in Logos yet.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS