Fast access to new books

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 16
Rob | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 20 2018 12:11 AM

Hi guys, I buy a lot of books from Amazon, and want to buy Nancy Pearcey’s latest book and the new Crossway 1000 page tome critiquing theistic evolution.

I would prefer to give you my $$$ than give them to Jeff Bezos at Amazon, but how?

I would be happy to get the books without all the crosslinking and stuff that you add, at least at first, just so that I can actually read them.

Please – tell me that there is a way…? 

Regards,

Rob

Posts 103
pk47 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 12:26 AM

It sounds like Vyrso is what you're looking for.  Although they do have a rather small collection, considering that half of them or fiction/Christian romance novels. Would really like to see more volumes added to this platform.

Posts 16
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 12:30 AM

Sure thing -- Vyrso would be useful, but to my mind ALL Logos books should be on Vyrso.

I live in the Amazon ecosystem and have hundreds of their digital books, and it is unthinkable that those books are not available anywhere I want to read them.

Logos I think should release these books onto Vyrso quickly when they are published, then move them to Logos with all the additional searching stuff.

Unfortunately for Logos, Amazon also have all my money, which is sad, given the Christian would would certainly benefit from it.

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 7:39 AM

Rob:
I live in the Amazon ecosystem and have hundreds of their digital books, and it is unthinkable that those books are not available anywhere I want to read them.

Praying for more publishers to offer new eBooks simultaneously for Amazon, Vyrso ...

Concur Vyrso (24,714 eBooks) could have thousands more eBooks (a competitor currently offers 64,983 Christian eBooks). Thankful for Faithlife offering over 100,000 digital resources while being aware that Kindle Unlimited has over 1,000,000 that includes many titles appropriate for Vyrso; e.g. The Urban Ministry Institute (TUMI) Capstone Curriculum + Mentor Manual

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2042
LogosEmployee

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Concur Vyrso (24,714 eBooks) could have thousands more eBook

Plus another 22,353 over here: https://ebooks.noet.com/

Posts 290
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 20 2018 12:18 PM

I would suggest that FL could be creative and do a two stage release of new books.  Once they have the publishers agreement, put it up for a short pre-pub but when they have the threshold met, release a simplified version of the resource.  Then later update the resource with all the various components that go into a FL resource. That should speed up the delivery of items to folks.  I think it would be easy with monographs.

I can take a text of a book and make a PB in a few moments without doing anything to it.  It would only take a little effort to crate a TOC and and have the rest come later. 

I have noticed some books are coming out faster but some not.  I am still waiting for NT Wrights book, The Day the Revolution Began: Reconsidering the Meaning of Jesus's Crucifixion, which came out in Oct 2016.  Another lent season goes by without it.  I may have to resort to the Kindle version.

Posts 16
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:03 PM

Who is the competition that has the 65000 ebooks?

Posts 16
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:05 PM

Wow this is just weird. Why do logos duplicate and this make this all so complicated? The noet app looks like a copy of logos app.

Posts 16
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:06 PM

Bruce, totally agree. A two stage release makes sense. Today I bought more kindle books so the money is flowing away from logos. 

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 9:34 PM

Rob:

Who is the competition that has the 65000 ebooks?

Christian Book Competitor has CSB Study Bible deal (albeit lacks Logos pre-pub => CSB Study Bible Notes integration)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 21 2018 10:00 PM

Rob:

Wow this is just weird. Why do logos duplicate and this make this all so complicated? The noet app looks like a copy of logos app.

Faithlife has different target audiences:

• Logos - Protestant (Logos is Greek for Word)
  • Verbum - Catholic (Verbum is Latin for Word)
  • Noet - Scholarly (Bible specific features removed => Logos engine vs Noet engine?)

Logos and Verbum have Bible features. Thread => WARNING: Verbum Plus is like a NEW INSTALLATION! includes screen shots showing some differences between Logos and Verbum in version 5.

Thankful can use Logos and Verbum at the same time.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 13
William Stacy Ellsworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 9:47 PM

I really like the added abilities that Logos offers for research but it is becoming increasingly frustrating for me as I end up deciding to go to outside sources (usually Amazon/Kindle) to be able to actually buy and read the book. I have Pre-Pubs from 2015 that are still "gathering interest."

Rob, I like your idea of finding a way to actually get new books out quickly. However, I think that I would also like to say that it would be nice if Logos/Vyrso could find a way to become more competitively priced or at least utilize some type of price matching strategy or policy as well. Unfortunately, when Logos proposes charging about $24 for a Pre-Pub while the same book is available for  about $17 elsewhere, I still find myself leaning towards instant gratification and saving $7 in the process. ( https://www.logos.com/product/53312/tt-clark-companion-to-methodism )

I have found that Vyrso has had some of the books that I have needed and the ability to use Logos with those books has made checking their site a part of my book buying process.

Peace,

Stacy

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS