Passage Guide Quit Working

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 440
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Apr 20 2010 4:07 AM

Was working with layout; closed all and went to passage guide and got no response only a spinning wheel and had to force quit.  Logs attatched

1462.Archive.zip

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 9:40 AM

How long did you wait? Did CPU usage for Logos 4 remain high, or did it drop?

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 440
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:38 AM

David,

I waited for about 2 minutes I guess.  Then I checked my finder and saw that the program was not responding.   I forced quit and restarted program.

Posts 82
James Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 10:55 AM

I just started a thread on how to collect diagnostic help...and I'm not sure its related, but the Passage Guide for me keeps spinning and I get the color wheel of death and MAC OSX 10.6.3 thinks Logos 4 Mac has stopped responding outright. In my case, its been that way for more than 10mins. I apologize if its not related.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:12 AM

OS X reporting that the application shouldn't be cause for concern (during the Alpha) unless CPU usage drops. Running a passage guide is currently very resource intensive, and may require far longer than two minutes to complete.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 82
James Ng | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:18 AM

Define not a cause for concern? ie, Nothing in Logos 4 Mac works at that point, no scrolling no clicking, no menus, etc. I wouldn't expect it to be at the point it isn't responsive at all for more than 10 mins.

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 11:24 AM

If nothing works for you, then you are having a very different experience from most users (and from what you have previously reported).

Start posting logs and instructions to reproduce the issues you're experiencing, and we may be able to help you out.

Updated: I read your post too quickly. Not responding means not responding--including all of those things. Most of the slowness in the Passage Guide is caused by a third-party library that we use (and that I'm in the middle of removing). It may cause the app to appear to hang for some time.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 440
Lewis Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:04 PM

David,

Help me to understand.  When a program is not responding, it is my experience that it will never respond even if you leave it running all day.  It's not that I had too many programs open.  I only had Safari and Logos 4 open.  When I closed all layouts and went to passage guide, that's when I got the spinning ball and had to force quit program.

MBP  2.53

4 GB 1067 Mhz DDR3----so it couldn't have been a memory problem

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:47 PM

LewisHarper:
When a program is not responding, it is my experience that it will never respond even if you leave it running all day.

While this is sometimes the case, it is not always so. Here is what will very likely be a boring explanation (with lengthy background):

Many applications appear to be doing multiple things simultaneously, despite the fact that your computer likely has only one or two processor cores. This is accomplished by creating "threads", which are essentially little programs in and of themselves. The operating system is capable of starting and interrupting these threads very quickly, and by switching between them rapidly, the illusion of lots of stuff happening at the same time is maintained.

In most applications, only a single thread is allowed to directly respond to user events and update what is shown in windows (for a variety of technical reasons that I won't go into). This means that if some long-running chunk of code gets sent to be executed on this thread, the application will appear to hang, as it will not be able to update the screen or respond to events.

Sometimes, this chunk of code will be something that never exits, which is the case with applications that you have to quite. Other times, it's merely something that needs to be optimized and/or moved to a different thread.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS