Concordance/Browser improvement opportunities

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3648
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 22 2018 3:12 AM

This morning I set out to seek to complete a couple tasks with the existing graphical tools I have in Logos 7 but was frustrated in my efforts. Now, before saying anything more, I know that I can do what I want through searches, but the idea of the graphical tools -- it seems to me -- was to offer a more convenient way and visually more appealing approach to a number of queries. 

So, I was in a gospel and tried first to see all the miracles in order to evaluate distribution. The Browser gave me the best results using Preaching Themes Jesus Miracles. My only regret there is that (a) one cannot collapse the result into a list (with pericope headings for instance) preventing a quick glance; (b) although I can send to searches, what is sent is not the equivalent search to what I looked for in the browser but the selection of passages as a search range (presumably to search for something else within this selection). This means that I cannot quickly apply the graph results functionality to what I found in the browser; (c) while I appreciate the ability to detail what kind of miracle I might want to see, it would be good to be able to select all entities within a category rather than gave to pick a subcategory.

I tried, as an alternative, to use the Bible Event Navigator but it collapses "Jesus' Life" into one category and one cannot just work with one gospel. Although some events are related to one or more gospels in the title (with a bracketed reference), typing "Mark" returned only 20 events for the whole Bible and many of them are references in Acts. 

I wanted also to trace the places Jesus went to in order. Again, while I know I can do this with searches, I had no luck with graphical tools. I tried the Concordance but it does not give the ability to list places in canonical order of occurrence. There is no general heading available for "places" in the Browser. Places Jesus Went yields only 2 places in Mark in the NRSV or NASB95.

The Atlas does allow one to pick a biblical book and it is somewhat useful, but there is no general category for all places (as opposed to subcategories such as activity in Galilee or resurrection appearances). Although it is possible to see a listing of associated events, again there is no indication of canonical order and the corresponding Bible references are not visible. So, it did not do the trick.

Now perhaps I have missed some of the functionality of the tools above. Feel free to point them out if that is the case. Otherwise and in any case, there seems to be much opportunity for the graphical tools to improve yet in terms of ability to produce the kind of information a user may want. 

To illustrate, while it is well possible that in some cases, users will want to know which places are mentioned most often (the "count" sorting order in the Concordance) or might use the alphabetical listing, it would seem to me that many users would want to track geographical progression. So, using a canonical order sorting capability would useful there and for other categories. 

Moreover, as alluded to earlier, more flexibility and usability would result if users can select a whole category (the way sections can be selected in the print/export menu for instance). 

Posts 21704
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 3:33 AM

Francis:
I wanted also to trace the places Jesus went to in order.
Hi Francis

Very helpful - some good analysis.

Francis:
So, I was in a gospel and tried first to see all the miracles in order to evaluate distribution. The Browser gave me the best results using Preaching Themes Jesus Miracles. My only regret there is that (a) one cannot collapse the result into a list (with pericope headings for instance) preventing a quick glance; (b) although I can send to searches, what is sent is not the equivalent search to what I looked for in the browser but the selection of passages as a search range (presumably to search for something else within this selection). This means that I cannot quickly apply the graph results functionality to what I found in the browser; (c) while I appreciate the ability to detail what kind of miracle I might want to see, it would be good to be able to select all entities within a category rather than gave to pick a subcategory.

Another option in Bible Browser is filtering on "Miracles - Agent:Jesus"

If you send the results to a Passage List and then view that in compact mode you just get a list of passages. 

But the "Miracles of the Bible" interactive probably gets closer to what you are looking for - again specifying Jesus as Agent

Francis:
I wanted also to trace the places Jesus went to in order.

Do you mean order within a particular Gospel or are you looking for something working at a harmony / synopsis level?

Posts 3648
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 22 2018 7:43 AM

Graham Criddle:
But the "Miracles of the Bible" interactive probably gets closer to what you are looking for - again specifying Jesus as Agent

Yes, this works perfectly for the task I had in mind this morning with regard to miracles (not places obviously). Thanks for the reminder of this interactive. I am wondering if it might be worth it for interactive and tools to cross-reference? For instance, when looking up miracles in the browser, have a "see also" miracles in the Bible interactive. When seeing places, see also the Atlas, etc. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS