Order of maps in the Atlas?

Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 23 2018 2:57 AM

The order of the maps in the Atlas does not make a whole lot of practical sense. In the example below, one can see that the maps the listing of maps showing for the Gospel of Mark is neither in alphabetical nor in canonical order (and there is no sorting capability that I can tell):

Posts 420
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 23 2018 7:58 PM

You've made a good point Francis.  Some form of order would be desirable for this resource. Perhaps the gospel entries could be in some form of approximate chronological order? Keep well Paul 

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:32 AM

Thanks for pointing this out, Francis. And good timing-- we are planning some improvements to Atlas soon, and I'll make sure that this gets taken into consideration. 

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:50 AM

Any updates on the release of the rest of the maps Adam?

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 12:44 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):

Thanks for pointing this out, Francis. And good timing-- we are planning some improvements to Atlas soon, and I'll that this gets taken into consideration. 

Yes

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:02 PM

Mattillo:

Any updates on the release of the rest of the maps Adam?

I'm glad you asked, as this is the main reason for updating Atlas. Dozens of new maps have already been created using a newer technology, which the Logos desktop version of Atlas doesn't support yet.

You can see these new maps (116 all together, at the time of this writing) in the web app version of Atlas, along with some cool new functionality like changing the angle of view. We also actively developing dozens more maps that we plan to ship in coming months.

The new desktop version of Atlas will gain all the new content, while retaining all current functionality. 

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:30 PM

Neat! Any idea when that will make it to desktop?

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 3:51 PM

Mattillo:

Neat! Any idea when that will make it to desktop?

Yes. Smile

I'm not going to share it yet, though. I've been burned too many times in the past when promising (or even hinting) at a ship date. So until I'm sure when we can deliver it, I'm Zip it!

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:10 AM

Understandable sir. Can you give me a few of the new names of the new maps? I'd like to take a look at them but I don't remember which one's are new and which are old

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:49 AM

At this point, the web app does not seem to provide the ability to view maps by biblical book, so I have no point of comparison. 

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:58 AM

Dozens of new maps have already been created using a newer technology, which the Logos desktop version of Atlas doesn't support yet.

If new maps are being produced -- and assuming that these are not just old maps redesigned for the new tech but that there is new content as well -- may I request gospel specific overview maps. While there is definitely a place and need for "Life of Jesus" type of maps, it is important to the study of individual gospels to trace (again in canonical order) the movements of Jesus within that gospel. 

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 10:39 AM

Francis:
If new maps are being produced -- and assuming that these are not just old maps redesigned for the new tech but that there is new content as well -- may I request gospel specific overview maps. While there is definitely a place and need for "Life of Jesus" type of maps, it is important to the study of individual gospels to trace (again in canonical order) the movements of Jesus within that gospel. 

Yes, there is brand-new content, as well as updating existing maps for the new tech. 

You may always request. Smile In this case, however, we are months into this project, and we already have a well-defined list of content left to complete. As far as I am aware, we are going with the same harmonized approach we use for Bible Events, Lexham Geographic Commentary, etc. I'm not saying passage-specific maps aren't a good idea, but I think it's too late in the process to add it to the scope of the current project.

Mattillo:
Can you give me a few of the new names of the new maps?

There are many. Just as an example, almost all the maps in the "Patriarchal Period" section are new:

• Abraham and Isaac at Mt. Moriah
  • Abraham Gets Isaac a Wife
  • Abraham’s Sons by Keturah
  • Abraham with the Philistines
  • Biblical World — Patriarchal Period
  • Isaac’s Life
  • Jacob and Family Live in Egypt
  • Jacob Returns to Canaan
  • Jacob Starts a Family
  • Jacob’s Troubled Family
  • Joseph — From Slavery to Power
  • Joseph’s Family Comes to Egypt
  • Sarah Dies, Abraham Mourns

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 1:45 PM

Thank you sir! The maps look great and I love the fact that I can tilt the map for a different POV. I do wish that elevation was more prominent though.  It still looked very flat even with the tilting but maybe that is the web app limitations

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 2:59 PM

Yes, there is brand-new content, as well as updating existing maps for the new tech. 

You may always request.

As a disappointed early adopter of Maps, I have to say that this new iteration is well worth the wait!

One feature request: allow for overlays, e.g. Modern cities, Ancient cities, multiple "maps" displayed as one map

Posts 351
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 3:01 PM

Mattillo:
The maps look great and I love the fact that I can tilt the map for a different POV. I do wish that elevation was more prominent though.  It still looked very flat even with the tilting but maybe that is the web app limitations

That would be great! We aren't actually encoding any topographical data at this point, though. Any any "elevation" effect is coming strictly from the shading of the flat "terrain" map images.

I still find it a useful feature, though. For example, I used it to illustrate to my 6-year-old daughter just how far Mary and Joseph had to travel to Bethlehem. 

Posts 20
Bobby Bosler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 27 2018 9:53 AM

One feature I'd really love to see is the ability to select multiple "maps" at the same time. Sometimes I want an overview not only of a single leg of a journey, but of the whole thing.

Paul's missionary journeys, for instance, are only available in small segments (and not in order, hernce this thread). It would be nice to either let us select multiple segments or to "nest" the smaller segments under the larger whole and allow us to select the whole as well as the individual segments.

Does that make sense?

Posts 752
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 6:40 PM

Francis:

The order of the maps in the Atlas does not make a whole lot of practical sense. In the example below, one can see that the maps the listing of maps showing for the Gospel of Mark is neither in alphabetical nor in canonical order (and there is no sorting capability that I can tell):

Atlas maps are ranked in a way that combines a variety of factors to try and put the most relevant maps first, based on passages, places, people, events, etc. For an entire book of the Bible, though, that might not be as helpful. We'll have to see if we can improve on that.

Note that there's a list of all the planned maps in the dataset documentation: https://ref.ly/logosres/cidbdocl6map1.

Posts 752
LogosEmployee
Sean Boisen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 7:02 PM

Francis:

Dozens of new maps have already been created using a newer technology, which the Logos desktop version of Atlas doesn't support yet.

We made a deliberate decision for Atlas to make focused "story maps" that illustrate specific biblical events, since there are already other map collections (including Biblical Places Maps) that provide more traditional, big-picture overviews. We'd definitely like to produce additional overview maps, but our current focus is completing our Atlas volumes.

Posts 3659
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 12:42 AM

Thank you for the explanation of what is currently in the pipeline, Sean. We look forward to discovering the new material. 

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS