Convert Kindle ebook to a .docx file

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 17
Cal | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 23 2018 9:50 PM

Greetings Fellow Users: I want to purchase God Redeeming His Bride from Amazon as an ebook.  I want to convert the kindle file to a .docx file so I can add it to my Logos library.  Has anyone done this?  How has it worked for you?  Thank you in advance for your help.  Cal

Posts 666
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 4:16 AM

Just to check, are you aware this book is available to purchase for use in Logos through the Vyrso site? Or is that a different book with the same title?

I only mention it because converting Amazon's books is a pretty grey area at the best of times.

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 4:26 AM

Is this the book? https://vyrso.com/product/130351/god-redeeming-his-bride 

If so, it would be better to buy it from Logos directly 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 17
Cal | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 5:32 AM

alabama24 THANK YOU!!! 

I ran a search on vyrso for God Redeeming His Bride: A Handbook for Church Discipline and it came up: We couldn't find God Redeeming His Bride: A Handbook for Church Discipline.  So I went to Amazon.

This is a good lesson for me to look a little deeper into how I use search parameters. 

I appreciate your leadership and may God empower you to do great things for the kingdom!  I will be praying for you...

Posts 27249
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 6:23 AM

Calvin Juelfs:
This is a good lesson for me to look a little deeper into how I use search parameters. 

Unfortunately, you can't perform a single search across the various Faithlife stores. The primary store (Logos) is much more developed than the "hobby" stores (Vyrso, Noet, etc.). FWIW - Logos is rebranding Vyrso to "Faithlife eBooks". See this thread: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/158725.aspx 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 616
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 11:11 AM

I hadn't seen this announcement. Thanks for the tip. I appreciate it.

Posts 2
Albert Bolian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 27 2018 5:42 AM

WOW - thanks for pointing out that the store fronts aren't synced.  I must have thought that they did due to some crossed emailings, or maybe because buying something vrom Vyrso ends up in the same Logos library.

Calvin, there IS a way to convert Kindle books to docx, and the reason it is considered "grey" is that you've got to go through some steps to strip out the Digital Rights Management (DRM) protections in order to do so.  This is legal (in the US) under the fair use laws, but may not be universally legal across the globe.  In addition, the steps to get there are a bit convoluted (you have to find the DRM removal tools on the web) and the conversion process to docx often leaves a lot to be desired from a formatting perspective.  Once you've got the formatting the way you like, you can import the book into the Personal Book builder in Logos.  Of greatest (to me) detriment, personal books won't be available to you on mobile devices, since (likely to avoid any legal ramifications) Logos won't sync those books on the iOS or Android apps.  (There are also problems w/indexing that personal books present as well for the mobile apps.)  

As you can tell, I've spent some time doing this, and I feel like a goof for missing the fact that the Vyrso site had the books that I wanted (Chris Hodges' Daniel Dilemma being the most recent.)  I will definitely search Vyrso (and the upcoming Faithlife eBooks rebranded site) before going through the hijinks to get a Kindle book converted.

God bless you all!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS