collections of monographs

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 24 2018 7:20 AM

Has anybody tried to divide up all the monographs into smaller collections so that one doesn't have hundreds of miscellaneous results in one category when  using, say, the passage guide?

There is another popular Bible software program that puts everything into more manageable categories, so i suppose I could just their categories and create my own.  But I am hoping somebody already did this in Logos and knows the best way to do this. 

Thank you.. 

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 12:42 AM

I'm not sure my method is useful to others but

1. For those that can appear in a predefined guide section, I tag them with a GS <guide section name>
  2. For those that I want to put into collections that can then appear in a guide Collection secion, I tag them with a GC <my collection name>

Then I have some tagging that is relevant for my personal interests - like ties to the ISSL or RCL or other lectionaries.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 6:52 PM

I'm playing around with all this.  It's not working very well.  I thought I would have one for hermeneutics.  No results.  I tried  few others, and there are so many books that shouldn't be there, I am deleting one at a time.  This is taking way too much time.  What I did for another collection, when I did a passage guide search, if the top results in a given collection were definitely in the wrong place, I would open the collection and try to delete them, if I could find them easily.  But the whole project seems far more time consuming than I want to devote to it.  If you put a book from monographs into a collection, it still appears in the monograph collection right?  I guess I would have to work with two collections open at the same time.  Delete it from the one as I add it to another.  Maybe another time if I see I really need to do something about this.  I had to quit work for health reasons, and now finally I have time to really get into my studies.  So I'm gradually exploring more things as I finish some projects and start new ones.

But thank you.  Thank you very much.  I will hold on to this.

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:36 PM

I often do something along the lines of the for a collection of items I still need to account for.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 25 2018 8:47 PM

Thank you.  I will save this.  As I get more time after I finish some projects I'm working on, I will start using more of the categories in my passage guide and then I will figure out what I want to do with them.  I haven't used them for a while, but that's coming soon.

Thanks again.

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 1:10 AM

You should know that in the middle of the night, I had an idea about a collection, and I used some things from your post to help me.  You saved me a number of hours of work.  thank you.

Posts 26543
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 26 2018 1:40 AM

Yes

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS