all with the help of intuitive, interactive tools…

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3921
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:31 AM

I was reading the Home page today, and an article mentioning "all with the help of intuitive, interactive tools…" caught my eye.

Last night, I had run into a problem using Fuzzy Bible Search. Since I don't use that feature regularly, I didn't remember that Basic had to be selected instead of Bible.

When I typed in a few words I could recall into a Bible Search, Logos didn't find the verse. So I tabbed to Safari and did a Google search to quickly find the verse I was thinking of.

Later on when I had some free time, I googled Fuzzy Bible Search to find out how to use it. (I'm sure the answer is also in Logos Help, but that's not a place I even think of checking.)

It doesn't seem intuitive that you have to use Basic to do a (Fuzzy) Bible Search. (In addition, I wonder why we much search "everything," when we know it's a verse we're looking for?)

We all agree that the Search tool could use some help to become intuitive, and I understand that FL is thinking about or working on this. I look forward to it becoming more intuitive, so we won't need to google for verses (or instructions).

Thanks to FL for including Carta and a Hebrew audio bible in Logos 9!

Posts 3921
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 9:40 AM

On a somewhat related note, "the AND operator will find return results if the left and right side are found in the same verse, not just if they're on the same word" was surprising and unexpected. If a very helpful, knowledgeable MVP got confused by that AND issue, how intuitive is it that less experienced users would understand these nuances about a search operator?

I can understand that a jesus wept search would need to find two words in the same verse, and the AND scope would have to be the verse.

But I wonder how many of us would expect that some <root ...> <sense ...> search would have a word scope, and not expect additional matches resulting from AND instead of INTERSECTS?

I don't know how to solve a complex issue like this when users expect different behavior, but I hope FL can tackle an issue like this to make the Search tool more intuitive for more people!

Posts 2361
LogosEmployee

As of 7.9, Fuzzy Bible Search should be available in Bible searches.

https://wiki.logos.com/Logos_7.9

It should be right above the Bible Results section, but may be collapsed by default:

Posts 3921
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:34 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
As of 7.9, Fuzzy Bible Search should be available in Bible searches.

Thank you, Andrew.

Ah, inline search won't do a fuzzy search. Another gotcha to mentally remember. Embarrassed

Fuzzy bible search seems to filter/limit results. Also, fuzzy is very particular... if you don't give it what looks to be a longer phrase, it won't turn up the verse you're looking for.

• light darkness produced 9 fuzzy results, 117 bible results
  • light and darkness produced 20 fuzzy results, 151 bible results
  • light darkness evil produced 82 fuzzy results, 20 bible results <- clearly the scale tipped here, with fuzzy going overboard.
  • light and darkness and evil produced 92 fuzzy results, 24 bible results

The last fuzzy search was the only search that turned up Isa 45:7. It was the 8th fuzzy result.

While eventually successful, I'd consider this more of an experiment. I likely wouldn't have continued to try to find it via Logos (although I'd hope that Logos should be able to find it as easily or quickly as Google).

Posts 26025
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 2:24 PM

PetahChristian:
But I wonder how many of us would expect that some <root ...> <sense ...> search would have a word scope, and not expect additional matches resulting from AND instead of INTERSECTS?

If you are trying to find individual words that have both (left and right side) attributes you must use INTERSECTS e.g. love INTERSECTS lemma:ἀγάπη. Otherwise love AND lemma:ἀγάπη will also find words "love" that don't have  ἀγάπη as their lemma. So I would state that "the AND operator will return results if the left and right side are found anywhere in the same verse even if they're on the same word".

Note that originally we only had ANDEQUALS for the first case, and it was less than satisfactory in RI's. WITHIN was an improvement but INTERSECTS provides a broader match.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 26025
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 24 2018 10:38 PM

PetahChristian:
The last fuzzy search was the only search that turned up Isa 45:7.

I'm puzzled that it needed the 'and'  e.g evil and light darkness is the same.  The ranking of the results is also puzzling, with light and darkness ranked higher than results with the three principal words.

PetahChristian:
Ah, inline search won't do a fuzzy search. Another gotcha to mentally remember. 

Fuzzy is an online search with its results reflected in your resources.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS