Remote stopped working part way through service.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4665
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:17 AM

It was with a deal of embarrassment that I continued a recent service with the display stuck on a slide that was half way through the service.

Please will somebody review my service '180129 Kensington John' and see if there is any indiction as to why this happened.

The remote was running in one panel on my iPad and worked perfectly if a little laggy up to the slide 'Fear no More' at which point it stuck.

Once the Memorial service ended I was able to go to presenting computer and change the slide to the 'In memorial' one immediately from the keyboard.

Posts 612
LogosEmployee
Jordan Sjodin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:20 AM

Sorry about that Mike. You can now send us logs from the iOS remote by going to the about screen and hitting send support info. 

So the iPad was frozen? Or did you continue to advance slides on the iPad and Proclaim was not reflecting those changes on the projector?

Mac | iOS | Android | Windows | Web Developer 

Posts 4665
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 12:39 AM

Jordan Sjodin:

Sorry about that Mike. You can now send us logs from the iOS remote by going to the about screen and hitting send support info. 

So the iPad was frozen? Or did you continue to advance slides on the iPad and Proclaim was not reflecting those changes on the projector?

I have just sent the logs but that was on Monday - it wasn't possible to send logs during the service itself.

Do the logs build up over a number of presentations?

The iPad didn't freeze and I could view slides on the remote - it was the slide change on the presenting computer that failed.

If the Remote is going to be temperamental even on a wi-fi network an appropriate method needs to developed so that the presenting computer does not keep an inappropriate slide showing indefinitely. When the computer lost contact it would have been better if it had dropped back to a quick slide.

Posts 352
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 31 2018 1:01 PM

Thanks for the logs Mike.  It does look like a communication error occurred, and the remote app timed out around the slides "Prayer James".  You were configured to run off local wireless, correct?

You could always set an auto-advance on the slide in service section, but that may cause it to transition before you want it to.  Service section slides will not advance by default.

Posts 4665
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 12:24 AM

Justin Soety (Faithlife):
You were configured to run off local wireless, correct?

Greetings Justin

I have never been able to get the 'Local Wireless' to work for me but that is another story. On this occasion the presenting computer and the iPad were connected to a 'normal' router and modem system. This worked well up to the point we reached the slide before Prayer James. Prayer James never showed.

I don't think that using auto advance is a reasonable solution to the problem of unreliable wifi communications. If the connection drops there should be some sort of 'reconnect' protocol in place that doesn't leave the lone minister high and dry.

As an example of the difficulty in using the local control try typing this in without making a mistake....

Actually when I am on the road the first line of this address is always absent.

Posts 352
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 6:03 AM

Understandable, and I really like that suggestion of having an automatic reconnect, or at the least a prompt to reconnect, in place. 

And the IP address is unfortunate, seems like you got stuck with a lot of IPv6 addresses.  If you're interested in making it easier, you could always configure your router at the place you're presenting to assign a static IP to your device so it never changes in that location, and it'll save you from having to re-enter it.

Posts 4665
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 8:22 AM

Justin Soety (Faithlife):
If you're interested in making it easier, you could always configure your router at the place you're presenting to assign a static IP to your device so it never changes in that location, and it'll save you from having to re-enter it.

If I may ask a supplementary :-)

Not in the actual circumstance above but usually...

I carry an Apple Express and an Apple TV with me.

I use the Apple Express to establish the local network and then feed the presentation into the Apple TV (wirelessly from my MacBook) and out of the Apple TV into the HDMI input of a projector.

I would like to have the MacBook plugged directly into the Projector and controlled by the Remote app - but as I explained I have never managed to get this to work. The presentation does not appear in the part of the list that allows control.

If I find out how to set the Apple Express to a static IP will that remain constant wherever I am Leading Worship?

Posts 352
LogosEmployee
Justin (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 1 2018 9:04 AM

It should work and remain static.  You can follow this page for a walk-through guide

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_to_configure_a_static_dhcp_reservation_with_airport_extreme

Posts 1
Apostle Keith Richard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2018 11:18 PM
Mike, make sure you change the address to the location in “settings”, to the address you present from when you are traveling.
Posts 129
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2018 12:15 PM

I always try a test run before service, and this has been sol glitchy that I have not used it in service to this day. I feel this is a non-feature at this moment.

Posts 50
Andy Bleach | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 30 2018 7:22 PM

yes - please could you add an automatic reconnect to the Proclaim remote apps (both Apple and Android).

I find they quite often loose the connection / have slide change issues.

Also if the reconnect could also be configured to try connecting after the presentation has been taken off air and put back on air again that would be very helpful. We often have the situation where the projectionist takes the presentation off air for a last minute change and then the remote needs to be reconnected again.

Thanks,

Andy

Posts 161
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 8:08 AM

Andy Bleach:
yes - please could you add an automatic reconnect to the Proclaim remote apps (both Apple and Android).

This should be happening now actually.

Andy Bleach:
Also if the reconnect could also be configured to try connecting after the presentation has been taken off air and put back on air again that would be very helpful

This is good feedback, but I don't think there are any plans for this to happen as if you go off air you'll have to exit the presentation, refresh, then click on the new presentation. (same presentation that was on air, but a new on air session) which will then take you back to where you were last left off at. 

Posts 4665
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 1 2018 11:01 AM

Matt Mattox:
Andy Bleach:

This should be happening now actually.

Not in my experience.

Both Saturday - with a standard WiFi connection in Church, and Sunday with a local WiFi Network, the remote on my iPad lost its connection to the Presenting Computer and would not reconnect. I did pull down the display to no avail. I was reduced to pushing the arrow keys on the laptop.

Posts 161
LogosEmployee
Matt Mattox (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 2 2018 7:04 AM

Mike Binks:
Not in my experience.

Thanks for the report. Let me follow up with Jordan S here and see what we can come up with. 

When you pulled the screen down to refresh did you give it a few tries? The refresh isn't top speed, but I thought our code was set for it to auto connect. Unless it broke somewhere, but I'll look into it. 

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS