Plagiarism?

Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 72 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Feb 9 2018 9:45 AM

In my sermon prep I came across these two resources that have strikingly similar definitions.

Wanted to see what you guys think. I'll post the older one first, then the newer one (by the date on the resource info page). I'm pretty sure it wouldn't fly if it were submitted without citation in a seminary paper.

The creation of a kinship relationship between two individuals that is recognized as essentially equivalent to one stemming from natural descent. In the ancient Near East, such ties were typically between adoptive parent(s) and a son or daughter, but individuals were adopted into other roles as well.

Adoption is the legal establishment of a kinship relationship between two people that is recognized as being equivalent to one based on physical descent. There are few references to the practice of adoption in the Scriptures, but the concept was employed to explain the nature of God’s relationship to his people and to their king.

I didn't look more deeply into the articles than the brief definition. I did look this up in other bible dictionaries and didn't see any of them nearly this close to each other.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 937
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:08 AM

I'd say that's close enough for the red flag to go up. 

Posts 26336
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:18 AM

Which two resources?

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 2236
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:22 AM

The one resource does list the other in its bibliography at the end of the article.

Posts 5599
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:22 AM

The newer one (NDBT) lists the older one (AYDB) in the bibliography section at the end of the article.

Both are dictionaries/encyclopedias. I don't know if encyclopedia articles (especially general audience works) always use in-line citations so I'm not sure of convention. Perhaps the bibliography reference is sufficient.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 79
LogosEmployee
Doug Mangum | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:23 AM

abondservant:

I didn't look more deeply into the articles than the brief definition. I did look this up in other bible dictionaries and didn't see any of them nearly this close to each other.

I found the two articles and didn't notice any other content overlap apart from this similarity in their opening definitions of the concept. The AYBD article covers mostly ANE background and includes very little on the concept in the Bible. The NDBT article is almost entirely on the theological use of the concept in the Bible and Second Temple literature.

Posts 2236
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:24 AM

Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary and New Dictionary of Biblical Theology, pp. 76 and 378.

Posts 26336
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 10:59 AM

Ronald Quick:

The one resource does list the other in its bibliography at the end of the article.

which means... it’s still plagiarism. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 11:19 AM

JT (alabama24):

Ronald Quick:

That was my thinking too. Its unfortunate. Its probably some silly oversight. But, i feel like they need to release an updated version that adds "according to aybd", or else re-word the definition section.

Its not going to keep me from using it. I'm just disappointed... you know?

Doug Mangum:

abondservant:

I found the two articles and didn't notice any other content overlap apart from this similarity in their opening definitions of the concept. The AYBD article covers mostly ANE background and includes very little on the concept in the Bible. The NDBT article is almost entirely on the theological use of the concept in the Bible and Second Temple literature.

Thanks Doug, thats good to hear! I sort of feel like going forward authors should have to submit their books to plagiarism detectors.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 9473
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 12:23 PM

Hmmm. I hope I don’t offend, but the example, I haven’t seen that unusual. I’ve seen pretty decent chunks of word-for-word, almost always between a commentary and monograph (different authors). I guess I’m a little comfortable with a little copying (not me of course)?

Posts 5133
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 12:35 PM

JT (alabama24):

Ronald Quick:

One sentence reworked ever so slightly does not constitute in my mind plagiarism, Indeed thankfully I am not in academic circles but to footnote  source there seems virtually nitpicking.  Now if he had utilized large swaths of text (even half a paragraph) or even just the ideas, that seems most certainly something one could call plagiarism. I just hate to impugn one persons work over what seems at worst the enjoying of the flow of a sentence and reworking it to his liking. 

-Dan

Posts 937
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 1:52 PM

Dan Francis:

JT (alabama24):

Ronald Quick:

One sentence reworked ever so slightly does not constitute in my mind plagiarism, Indeed thankfully I am not in academic circles but to footnote  source there seems virtually nitpicking.  Now if he had utilized large swaths of text (even half a paragraph) or even just the ideas, that seems most certainly something one could call plagiarism. I just hate to impugn one persons work over what seems at worst the enjoying of the flow of a sentence and reworking it to his liking. 

-Dan

Having been in the academic world for years, I would say a footnote is the minimum here.  I would be satisfied with that.  It is clear that there is enough there that it is not an original idea. 

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 1:59 PM

Denise:

Hmmm. I hope I don’t offend, but the example, I haven’t seen that unusual. I’ve seen pretty decent chunks of word-for-word, almost always between a commentary and monograph (different authors). I guess I’m a little comfortable with a little copying (not me of course)?

No offense taken.

It just surprised me. If I did that in a seminary paper I could be expelled at the discretion of the Dean. Post-graduation should plagiarism be discovered a students degree(s) can be revoked (for something turned into the school, not for something submitted for publication) pending re-attempting the class.

Here is my schools statement on Plagiarism (I left off the punishment though as it is already a lengthy quote).

Policy on Plagiarism
Students in attendance at (school name) are expected to maintain high standards of academic integrity appropriate to a Christian lifestyle. Plagiarism and cheating in any form will not be tolerated.

Integrity requires that the Christian student conduct him or herself according to the highest academic standards. Plagiarism is a very serious offense because it is stealing. Not only does plagiarism steal from the original author, it also takes away from the student the opportunity to learn and grow in the way the assignment was intended to provide.

What is plagiarism?
Joseph Ribald defines plagiarism in this way: “Derived from the Latin word plagiaries (‘kidnapper’), plagiarism refers to a form of cheating that has been defined as ‘the false assumption of authorship: the wrongful act of taking the product of another person’s mind, and presenting it as one’s own’ ” (MLA Handbook, 6th ed. [New York: Modern Language Association, 2003], 66, quoting Alexander Lindey, Plagiarism and Originality [New York: Harper, 1952], 2). Plagiarism can be committed in a number of ways, four of which are highlighted here:

1. Quoting one or more sentences verbatim without proper citation. This is the most obvious form of plagiarism. In addition, using unattributed direct quotations is a violation of US copyright law. Electronically cutting and pasting is easy to do, so it presents a definite temptation-especially if a deadline for an assignment is looming.
  2. Presenting the thoughts or ideas of another without proper attribution. Many students fail to realize that this practice is also plagiarism even if a student writes the summary himself. If one paraphrases the work of another, then he must give a proper citation.
  3. Borrowing without proper citation such things as an outline, an idea, or an approach to dealing with a problem that is unique to an author. This type of plagiarism often results from poor note taking on the part of the student.
  4. Using improper methods of citation. The student is responsible for learning the appropriate rules for citing sources and for following those rules throughout the paper. Ignorance of the rules of citation is not an excuse.

For other definitions of plagiarism and ways to avoid it see Robert A. Harris, The Plagiarism Handbook: Strategies for Preventing, Detecting, and Dealing with Plagiarism (Los Angeles, CA: Pyrczak Publishing, 2001.) If there is a question as to whether a citation is necessary at a particular point, it is a good rule of thumb to include it. Very few papers are penalized for over-citing! In addition, help is available from professors, the Writing Center, and the Library regarding how to work with sources.

Posts 98
Jonathan Ray | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 2:07 PM

This all brings up an idea. It might be nice to have some sort of tool somewhere (but probably not in LOGOS itself) to report plagiarism. Faithlife could then forward the examples to the proper publishing editors. Doing so would allow editors to do updates to articles like these or even commentaries without us posting examples here on the forums. This, I feel, would have helped a couple commentaries not being ousted over the past year or so when minor footnoting revisions would have done the trick.

Posts 1001
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 2:12 PM

At this rate every single resource we have will be pulled for plagarism...

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 2:13 PM

Jonathan Ray:

This all brings up an idea. It might be nice to have some sort of tool somewhere (but probably not in LOGOS itself) to report plagiarism. Faithlife could then forward the examples to the proper publishing editors. Doing so would allow editors to do updates to articles like these or even commentaries without us posting examples here on the forums. This, I feel, would have helped a couple commentaries not being ousted over the past year or so when minor footnoting revisions would have done the trick.

I was thinking about those commentaries when I left the names out. A search would easily lead to discovering who penned both articles... But it still seemed more discrete.

I guess I should email IVP and let them know what I found. they need to update the title.

Posts 9473
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 2:57 PM

abondservant:

It just surprised me. 

I’m sure you’re right. These days, ‘taking’ is ok, and if caught, always unintensional.

I guess I see so much in my library, I view it as where religion has moved to.

Maybe it’s like illegal highway passing. Their future is in their behavior.

Posts 5133
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 3:12 PM

Everett Headley:
I would say a footnote is the minimum here. 

While now I know... I  do not intentionally use others words but I think of poor Dorthy Parker 'You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think'?

She didn't credit Old English Homilies for 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

-dan

Posts 3935
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 5:06 PM

Dan Francis:

Everett Headley:
I would say a footnote is the minimum here. 

While now I know... I  do not intentionally use others words but I think of poor Dorthy Parker 'You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think'?

She didn't credit Old English Homilies for 'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink'.

-dan

apples and oranges though, one was a reference book, the other was a flip answer given on a game show.

When game shows can be taken seriously, when cited in scholarly works then we can compare them directly. till then its just false equivalency.

Posts 495
Bobby Terhune | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 9 2018 5:40 PM

abondservant,

i don’t think Douglas agreed with you on the plagiarism issue. I would consider it at least a stretch in this particular case.

Page 1 of 4 (73 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS