Finding the Historical Present & Visual Filters

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 21 2010 7:17 PM

I am trying to create a visual filter to help mark the use of the Historical Present in the NT.

For example:

Matthew 16:13 Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, “Who do people say that the Son of Man is?”

Matthew 16:14 And they said, “Some say John the Baptist, others say Elijah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets.”

Matthew 16:15 He said (says) to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 

In v.16 the word said is actually the historical present in the Greek but translated in the past tense  in English.  

Any recommendations on the most effective way to highlight with a Visual Filters are meaningful instances of the Historical Present?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 3:47 AM

I went back to Wallace to refine the criteria. This is a start: "@VP??3 ANDNOT lemma:εἰμί" at identifying quickly potential Historical presents. The only things missing would be to custom-limit the search range to only narrative portions and use ANDEQUALS with Louw Nida ranges to limit the search to "action" words. Unfortunately the last idea doesn't work. It appears the search engine cannot pair ANDEQUALS with a Louw Nida number... I'll file a bug report.

Even if the ANDEQUALS worked I'm not certain it would be 100% accurate. I'd have to compare the search with a list of historical present usage.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 9:12 AM

ah, good suggestions. I will use them to refine my existing Visual Filter.  Excellent CoolYes

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 10:28 AM

I tried your suggestion with a slight modification in that I made it find Indicatives too.

However it didn't seem to work. My test case was an example pointed out in the Lexham Discourse Intro, the verb "appeared" in Matt. 2:13. My filter showed it as present, but the other filter didn't add the wavy underline. Can't figure out why.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:05 AM

I am having a few problems with it as well. 

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:06 AM

Joe Miller:

ah, good suggestions. I will use them to refine my existing Visual Filter.  Excellent CoolYes

Joe, I noticed in another thread you were using <LN 33>. In my research I came across 33.69, 15.81, and 24.7 as the most common domains for Historical Present.

Hope this helps in the refining process.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 22 2010 11:28 AM

I noticed a few that were missing.  The problem now is that I can't get Logos to recognize some of the Boolean operators to make one simple visual filter.  I don't know if that is a bug or by design :-)

Posts 59
Todd White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 8:47 AM

Kevin Becker:
It appears the search engine cannot pair ANDEQUALS with a Louw Nida number... I'll file a bug report.

I didn't see a bug report on http://wiki.logos.com/Logos_4_Bugs, but I do see that we have a bug report in our internal system. It looks like in that case Bradley has a workaround that you can try. Put parenthesis around the morph code. I get around 11k results for this search in the ESV.

(@VP??3) ANDEQUALS <LouwNida = Louw Nida 33.69>

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 11:55 AM

Thanks for the new tip Todd.  I think this combined with the use of Verse Lists is the way to go.

Posts 222
LogosEmployee
Mike Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 12:03 PM

Go to Matthew 2:13 in the LDGNT

Right click on φαίνεται.

Select the tab for Lexham Discourse Greek New Testament: Historical Present

Search this Resource.

Choose "Make Filter."

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 9 2010 12:15 PM

Sweet... that can work nicely!  Much easier than I was even imagining.

Posts 283
Michel Pauw | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 3:40 AM

In case people don't have LDGNT or for any other reason, would it be possible to filter for:

• all verbs with present indicative
  • in non-direct speech?

Posts 17987
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 4 2017 11:35 AM

Michel Pauw:

In case people don't have LDGNT or for any other reason, would it be possible to filter for:

• all verbs with present indicative

Logos Greek Morphology search @VP?I 

Logos wiki has => Examples of visual filters

For Historical Present, Logos 7.11 Right Click can also include Greek Grammatical Constructions

Noticed LDGNT Historical Present has six more results.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS