Is there a way to make the book title display more specific on search results in the passage guide?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 71
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 11 2018 9:42 AM

For example, when I generate a passage guide for a verse in John, I get a listing of several commentaries from my library.  One result is “The Gospel According to John” but I would rather see “NICNT - The Gospel According to John”.  Another result in my list is ”John” but I would rather see ”Zondervan Exegetical Commentary - John”.

Note: this example is using the Logos app on my iPad.  

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 10:03 AM

Bryce, you need to edit the title, in your desktop Logos library view. Then re-start the desktop. It populates to the mobile app.

This is painful, but a 1-time and you can also prefix your title with series and (Bible) book sort. Very handy.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 10:07 AM

Yes! You can rename your books however you want and they will show up that way in the passage guide, or at least on your desktop. Not so much for mobile or the web app. It may be overkill, but I renamed my commentaries using the format:

[Series]: [Book(s) of Bible] ([Author Last Name], [Year])

I don't have NICNT John, but I have John in WBC. I named it:

Word Biblical Commentary: John (Beasley-Murray, 2002)

Again, overkill for many people, but I have personally found it very helpful as I acquire more commentaries but have limited time. Examples: Yes, the volume may belong to the International Critical Commentary set, but is it a newer volume or one of the ones over 100 years old? Yes, it is the Pillar commentary on Romans, but is it the one by Morris or by Kruse? Which of the two is the newer one? Being able to see stuff like that at a glance has helped me a lot.

Posts 627
Scott E. Mahle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 10:31 AM

Denise:

Bryce, you need to edit the title, in your desktop Logos library view. Then re-start the desktop. It populates to the mobile app.

This is painful, but a 1-time and you can also prefix your title with series and (Bible) book sort. Very handy.

On Android, this works in library view but, unfortunately, not in the passage guide. Does it change in the passage guide in the Apple world?

Logos Series X Pastor’s Library | Logos 3 Leader’s Library | Logos 4 Portfolio | Logos 5 Platinum | Logos 6 Feature Crossgrade | Logos 7 Essential Upgrade - Large | Logos 8 Methodist & Wesleyan Platinum and Academic Professional

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 10:54 AM

Scott E. Mahle:

Denise:

On Android, this works in library view but, unfortunately, not in the passage guide. Does it change in the passage guide in the Apple world?

Ditto ios. I don’t use the tools.

Plus the web ignores user-titles entirely, last time I checked. Ergo a waste ... not going to battle my library just because they can never coordinate platforms for customers with more than a starter investment.  

Posts 1734
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 1:38 PM

If you've ever exported your library to Excel, you'll note that there are two titles:  1 Title - this is the one that gets edited. 2 Logos Title - static. Changes to the Title do sync to mobile, but (and it's a big but), as noted above, 1 & 2 are used differently in the different applications. The one aspect I noticed first is that the Library in mobile apps (Android, at least) is sorted by the Logos Title. This defeats any sorting scheme on the desktop involving title editing. I started editing titles of commentaries on the desktop with a canon-order prefix, (01)...(66). It worked great on the desktop, but I noticed my Android tablet was ignoring it for sorting, even though it displayed the user-edited title. So, I changed strategies and put the (01)...(66) as a tag, which still works fine on the desktop (sort by MyTag), and on the Android library use mytag:(01)  or just plain 01.

This might even be worth a suggestion to add "Sort by User-Title" and "Sort by MyTag" on the mobile apps. And assume/hope the Web App will eventually have all of the desktop metadata exposed in the Library panel.

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 2:03 PM

Robert M. Warren:

This might even be worth a suggestion to add "Sort by User-Title" and "Sort by MyTag" on the mobile apps. And assume/hope the Web App will eventually have all of the desktop metadata exposed in the Library panel.

I find it strangely bizarre (vs normally bizarre) for users to suggest a consistent application of a company's UI tools. 

Alternatively, in the Help section, they could put 'Titles can be editted as needed by each user. The software may or may not use user edits. We'll decide as we go along. Or maybe we'll just forget, or something like that."

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 2:24 PM

I have often wondered if the inconsistency has to do with the fact that running the passage guide on mobile or the web app relies on Faithlife's servers (hence Internet access is required), but that running the passage guide on the desktop does not. I would guess -- and I could be entirely wrong -- but Faithlife may have opted not to use custom titles on mobile and the web app in order to display results as quickly as possible. In other words, it is faster for Faithlife's servers to identify what commentaries we have a license for that match the passage guide query and then display those resources using their default titles than it would be to add the extra step of converting the display to use the custom titles. If that is the case (and that is a huge "if"), then I can understand Faithlife choosing a route that would produce results faster than a route that would be slower and only benefit the small subset of users who take the time to rename their resources. As it is, Faithlife is already criticized heavily for their software running slower than the competition. I for one would rather wait an extra second or two in order to have results that use my custom names. I avoid using the passage guide on mobile and the web app because it is such a terrible experience without the customization.

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 3:15 PM

Maybe we could require minimum performance specs on their servers. Or maybe they could get some tips from the Logos.com folks (I think they used to work for Libronix Research).  Actually, I wish Amazon could do like Logos.com (user tailoring). You have to select an Amazon book to see if you own it.

Posts 71
Bryce Hufford | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2018 5:57 PM

Thanks for the responses.  I've experimented a bit with this.

• Library Search Results in IOS & Mac Versions: shows my edited book titles
  • Using Passage Guide in Mac Version: shows my edited book titles
  • Using Passage Guide in IOS: shows Logos default book titles

The book cover icon that is available in the library search results helps me easily distinguish commentary resources with non-specific titles.  While it would be handy for the IOS passage guide to show edited book titles, it looks like this is a current limitation of the app.

Posts 14
John | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 23 2020 9:44 PM

Two years later and this still hasn't been fixed for the mobile app...  Anyone know if this is in the works?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS