MM: Let's get serious for a second about commentaries...

Page 4 of 6 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 100 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 52
Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2018 3:36 PM

Neither Longman or Carson are dispensational so this does influence their reviews but in general they are pretty fair. Both are coming from a much more academic perspective so many of their favorites may not always be the most useful for pastors with a busy schedule.

Personally, I really recommend John Evans "A Guide to Biblical Commentaries and Reference Works (published by Zondervan 2016). Although not available in Logos Evans does a great job in pointing out both technical and pastoral commentaries. He notes those work he feels are the best, those that are useful for scholarly papers and those that are useful for the pastor. He also notes those works that are more critical (liberal). Finally, Evan also includes a list with bargains for a Bare-Bones library; an ideal basic library for the pastor, and an ultimate reference library. (While not dispensational, I feel he is fairly irenic in his evaluation of those works.  

Also, if you are interested, Jim Rosscup's "Commentaries for Biblical Expositors" available in Logos evaluates commentaries from a dispensational perspective but is a bit dated. 

Posts 149
Alexander Fogassy | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 14 2018 7:44 PM

Erwin,

Thank you. Rosscup's contribution seems interesting, to be sure. 

Alex

Posts 1421
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:35 AM

I am a retired engineer and interested in exegesis. My main goal is to understand what the writer intended to say. 

One aspect is which ones are using

original script (Greek, Hebrew) - O

and which ones are using transcription/transliteration - T

List stolen from Mark's comment:

1. NICOT/NICNT (I'm not sure it's still the best overall for the NT, but nothing can touch it for the OT) -T
  2. ZECNT (a new series, but I'm very impressed with it) - O
  3. BECNT (relatively new, and consistently good) - O and T
  4. Pillar - T
  5. NAC - T
  6. EEC - O
  7. WBC - O

Slightly less heavyweight, but still excellent at what they're trying to do, I would recommend, in this order:

1. Expositors - O
  2. Tyndale - T
  3. BST - T
  4. Socio-rhetorical - T
  5. NIVAC - T

I hope I've got it right. It may also vary with the author. In the socio-rhetorical Matthew it does not seem mention original words at all, but the Thessalonians mentions original words.

I personally prefer original script, but can live with the transliteration.

Exegetical summaries is also nice https://www.logos.com/product/149560/exegetical-summaries-series . It often refers to ICC, thus I might buy ICC some day although it may not be exactly in line of my theology.

UBS handbook is not really a commentary but I lke it https://www.logos.com/product/39480/ubs-handbook-series-old-and-new-testament-collection 

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 1397
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 5:46 AM

Veli Voipio:

I am a retired engineer and interested in exegesis. My main goal is to understand what the writer intended to say. 

One aspect is which ones are using

original script (Greek, Hebrew) - O

and which ones are using transcription/transliteration - T

List stolen from Mark's comment:

1. NICOT/NICNT (I'm not sure it's still the best overall for the NT, but nothing can touch it for the OT) -T
  2. ZECNT (a new series, but I'm very impressed with it) - O
  3. BECNT (relatively new, and consistently good) - O and T
  4. Pillar - T
  5. NAC - T
  6. EEC - O
  7. WBC - O

Slightly less heavyweight, but still excellent at what they're trying to do, I would recommend, in this order:

1. Expositors - O
  2. Tyndale - T
  3. BST - T
  4. Socio-rhetorical - T
  5. NIVAC - T

I hope I've got it right. It may also vary with the author. In the socio-rhetorical Matthew it does not seem mention original words at all, but the Thessalonians mentions original words.

I personally prefer original script, but can live with the transliteration.

Exegetical summaries is also nice https://www.logos.com/product/149560/exegetical-summaries-series . It often refers to ICC, thus I might buy ICC some day although it may not be exactly in line of my theology.

UBS handbook is not really a commentary but I lke it https://www.logos.com/product/39480/ubs-handbook-series-old-and-new-testament-collection 

I'm a lay person, about to retire, and share your interest.  However I have no Greek/Hebrew training.  When I first started looking at the more scholarly, exegetical resources, I was concerned that I would be put off by resources that did NOT either use transliteration, or at least include it in addition to the original language.  But... I discovered there are some resources I really enjoy such as ZECOT/ZECNT that use original language and NO transliteration, but they do include the English translation immediately following the original language pretty much wherever it occurs in the text, and I find that works just fine for me.  Thankful for so many great resources.

Posts 40
Joseph Sollenberger | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 6:23 AM

Veli Voipio:

Substitute chemistry teacher for engineer and you have my background and interests.

With the modern software tools I don't worry about original language only in a commentary since a mouse over or click will reveal what is needed to know about that specific word. In the process of repetition I will learn the often used or important terms in the original language. It is fun for an old guy to learn something new each day!

I am very thankful for a library (the old English term would translate to book hoard today) on my portable devices.

-Joseph

Joseph F. Sollenberger, Jr.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:02 AM

Ryan:

I realize that commentary favorites are as subjective as preferred Bible translations and everyone has a strong opinion, but if all my commentary sets were taken away and I was told I could only have one back, I would choose NICOT/NICNT.

I agree completely.  Yes

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 980
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:12 AM

Joseph Sollenberger:
It is fun for an old guy to learn something new each day!

YesYes

I get a kick out of it because it reminds me that not all my marbles have fallen out yet. Seriously, the day I stop getting a buzz out of learning something new no matter what field it is in, I have told my wife to get me measured up for my coffin. I am fortunate that she feels pretty well the same way about life.

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:14 AM

Alexander Fogassy:

Thank you all, this is quite helpful. 

Anyone have further on the WBC? what makes it great, what purpose does it serve, and why do people like/don't like it? 

Another thing I should mention is that I'm also dispenstionalist to the core...so the EEC might also be worthwhile (as they come out...frustrating). 

My interest is not so much preaching...I am in seminary with the goal towards one day teaching at the university/seminary level. Not sure if this distinction matters, but I am not interested in commentaries that have cool alliterations for each pericope..(not that there is anything wrong with that!)

Alex

I like the WBC.  It would second on my list of best commentary sets, after the NICOT/NICNT.  

As to a preference for Dispensational commentators, I believe you will find more of them in the EEC, without a doubt.  Although, not all the EEC commentators are Dispensational.  Something like the Bible Knowledge Commentary would have mostly, if not all, Dispensational commentators.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:42 AM

Mark Barnes:

If you're an evangelical wanting the best heavyweight evangelical commentaries, I would personally recommend, in this order:

1. NICOT/NICNT (I'm not sure it's still the best overall for the NT, but nothing can touch it for the OT)
  2. ZECNT (a new series, but I'm very impressed with it)
  3. BECNT (relatively new, and consistently good)
  4. Pillar
  5. NAC
  6. EEC
  7. WBC

I deeply respect Mark's opinion and would align pretty closely. Yesterday I re-evaluated my Commentaries and concluded I will be buying NICOT/NT & WBC.  Why WBC if it is so low?  Because the cannon is 66 books, not 27.  By having these 2 sets (besides what I already own) I will have the top 2 bestcommentaries.com on almost the entire OT, and almost all of the top 5 for each NT book. Just an observation to help other exegetes while these prices will be at record lows.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 8:20 AM

David Thomas:
I deeply respect Mark's opinion and would align pretty closely. Yesterday I re-evaluated my Commentaries and concluded I will be buying NICOT/NT & WBC.  Why WBC if it is so low?  Because the cannon is 66 books, not 27

Yes, if you want complete coverage of the whole Bible, WBC is a good choice (along with NICOT/NICNT and NAC). Certainly more useful overall than Hermeneia and Anchor, IMO.

There are some newer series that are gradually building out the OT (Apollos Old Testament Commentary which is the OT equivalent of Pillar, and ZECOT, for example), but completion of those series is a long way off.

Posts 1421
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 8:24 AM

David Thomas:
almost the entire OT

NICOT seems to be missing Exodus and some historical books Indifferent

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 8:56 AM

Veli Voipio:

NICOT seems to be missing Exodus and some historical books Indifferent

Just so that potential buyers are aware, sometimes collections don't always have the most recent volumes. For example,

The NICOT collection has the 1987 version of Haggai and Malachi and not the 2017 version which can be purchased separately here: 

https://www.logos.com/product/147720/the-new-international-commentary-on-the-old-testament-the-books-of-haggai-and-malachi 

And the NICNT collection has the 1984 version of Colossians, Philemon, and Ephesians but not the 2017 edition devoted exclusively to Philemon which can be purchased separately here:

https://www.logos.com/product/145358/the-new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament-the-letter-to-philemon

Not a deal breaker, but just good to know before spending that kind of money.

Posts 129
Robert Bigouette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 9:16 AM

Is there a March commentary sale? These prices don't look low at all to me, LOL.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 9:44 AM

March madness means when it is done in a week or a bit there will be significant sales on the winner and the losers too will have a fair discount. I suspect NIC will be the big winner with EBC coming second. Already we have the discounts on the previous ones knocked out..

-dan 

Posts 618
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 11:33 AM

Robert Bigouette:

Is there a March commentary sale? These prices don't look low at all to me, LOL.

Robert,

Just to piggyback on Dan's comments you can check out the most up to date deals here: https://www.logos.com/current-deals, but make sure to check back when the winner is crowned.

Posts 8
Scott Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:36 PM

I was just looking at the ZECNT collection that was added to the 55% sale, and I noticed that the edition on John, while published, is not included in the bundle. Any guesses as to why the outlier?

And no matter where NICOT/NICNT ends up in MM, that is going to be one awesome opportunity for a cash strapped individual (e.g. me)! 

Posts 556
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:42 PM

Scott Sullivan:

I was just looking at the ZECNT collection that was added to the 55% sale, and I noticed that the edition on John, while published, is not included in the bundle. Any guesses as to why the outlier?

And no matter where NICOT/NICNT ends up in MM, that is going to be one awesome opportunity for a cash strapped individual (e.g. me)! 

I was also wanting to know what happened with John. It was on sale to just recently. 

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 5:21 PM

WBC used to cover the whole Bible, but with O’Brien’s volumes not available anymore........I hope they can replace them soon.

DAL

Posts 263
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:16 PM

Writing from the perspective of a pastor who preaches weekly here. Certainly, I don't have all of the commentary series, but here are the ones I have personally found to be very, very helpful.

Technical/Academic level commentaries

NICOT/NICNT

WBC

Respected/Mid-level commentaries

New American Commentary 

Expositor's Bible Commentary

Tyndale Commentaries  OT/NT

Baker New Testament Commentary

Pillar New Testament Commentary

Pastoral Commentaries

MacArthur New Testament Commentaries

Preaching the Word Commentaries

Bible Exposition Commentaries

Thomas Constable Expository Notes

Study Bibles that are good one-volume commentaries

MacArthur Study Bible

Zondervan NIV Study Bible

CSB Study Bible

I would say to buy these commentary sets first and it will give you a great foundation. After that, I would also pick up....

UBS Bible Handbook OT/NT

The Bible Speaks Today  OT/NT

The Preacher's Outline and Sermon Bible  OT/NT

Lange's

Lenski

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 8:47 PM

DAL:

WBC used to cover the whole Bible, but with O’Brien’s volumes not available anymore........I hope they can replace them soon.

DAL

Not quite 1Cornthians and Acts have yet to be published although I expect they will show up sooner than later unless the authors die first which is a real possibility with one who last I heard was battling cancer. 

-Dan

Page 4 of 6 (101 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS