Cancelled on CP

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 15 2018 10:16 AM

Sad to receive the emails about cancelled projects:

You are receiving this email because you placed a bid on Spurgeon Commentary Collection: Gospels (2 vols.). Unfortunately, this product has been cancelled

and

You are receiving this email because you placed a bid on The Bible in Seven Acts, with Slides (7 vols.). Unfortunately, this product has been cancelled.

Posts 482
Travis Walter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 10:47 AM

I rarely if ever get emails from Faithlife from their system.  I always get order emails but never the system generated ones..  Wish they would fix that on their end.

Posts 9010
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 10:49 AM

I was saddened by this news too.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 11:15 AM

Very disappointing; this one boggles the mind. I'm also sad that "The Bible in Seven Acts, with Slides" is also cancelled.

Posts 151
Rob Lambert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 11:29 AM

Mark:
The Bible in Seven Acts, with Slides (7 vols.). Unfortunately, this product has been cancelled.

guys, i am so sorry about this.  I was buying this to provide a means by which I could look at pictures while i read the bible.  Any idea of a way logos can be set up to use its immense horsepower to automatically put up relevant pictures as I read through the bible.

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:01 PM

Mark:

You are receiving this email because you placed a bid on Spurgeon Commentary Collection: Gospels (2 vols.). Unfortunately, this product has been cancelled

That one made me sad Crying

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:07 PM

Yasmin Stephen:

Mark:

That one made me sad Crying

Yes.  The other resource was interesting but I was not sure what it would be like.  But the Spurgeon resource...well let's hope it is cancelled for a good reason...let's hope they plan to make it available in another way.

Posts 187
James Hudson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:17 PM

Really upset about Spurgeon.

Sad when I got the 'Bible in 7 Acts' email too.

I, too, hope for more Spurgeon (maybe in other bundles?)

Posts 12
Tim McMillian | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 12:30 PM

I am also very disappointed about the cancellation of the Spurgeon Commentaries on the Gospels. I cannot understand why there would be so little interest?

Posts 18010
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 1:28 PM

Tim McMillian:

I am also very disappointed about the cancellation of the Spurgeon Commentaries on the Gospels. I cannot understand why there would be so little interest?

+1 puzzled while Thankful for New Testament letter collection => Spurgeon Commentary Collection: New Testament Letters (10 vols.)

Also Thankful for Spurgeon's commentary on Matthew => The Gospel of the Kingdom: A Commentary on the Book of Matthew

A search of Spurgeon resources finds many Gospel references:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3321
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 2:04 PM

I am also puzzled as to the Spurgeon volume.  I thought that was a lexham press production.  It seems like there are many others floating around in Logos so now the set would be incomplete as they do more volumes

Posts 2372
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 2:27 PM

Mattillo:

I am also puzzled as to the Spurgeon volume.  I thought that was a lexham press production.  It seems like there are many others floating around in Logos so now the set would be incomplete as they do more volumes

Maybe they could be added back as PrePub...?

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 4:33 PM

Some time ago, Dec 26 2013, Bob Pritchett told us exactly what we had to bid to get a CP.
See Community Pricing Data Crunching - Price Predictions!
https://community.logos.com/forums/p/79393/555540.aspx#555540     [Always add a space after a link]

We did not learn and I have not seen a current update to that list.

Maybe if there was a line on the CP page that stated something like:
If all current bidders raised their bid to $XYZ this product would go into production.
[[Where XYZ is the price it would take if all current bidders on this resource raised their bid to XYZ]]

And a line:
If all CP bidders bid $ABC then all CP bidders would get this resource.
[[Where all CP bidders are all that have an active bid on anything – not just the ones that bid on this resource]]

Note that he said that “The Bible in Seven Acts: Herod to Jesus would go to ([for])  $6.”

Posts 2133
LogosEmployee

Rob Lambert:

Any idea of a way logos can be set up to use its immense horsepower to automatically put up relevant pictures as I read through the bible.

Open up the Explorer from the Tools menu. Then expand the Media section.

Also, try turning on the Media options in the Visual Filters menu (the icon with the three interlocking circles).

Posts 438
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 15 2018 7:55 PM

Thanks Andrew - I tend to forget about the media option under the Visual Filters Menu so a great reminder!  Keep well Paul 

Posts 80
LogosEmployee
Jake Mailhot | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 11:12 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for your concern about these two Lexham Press projects. I'd like to give a little explanation about why they were cancelled. Both of these projects have languished on Community Pricing for a while now without reaching the threshold for production. 

The Bible in Seven Acts was posted five years ago! This project was originally conceived by our former Publisher, John D. Barry. Since he's left, the enthusiasm and vision for the project fell by the wayside. For such a large and complex project, we'd have to carve out a significant portion of our production schedule to accommodate it, to the detriment of some of our other projects. We were unwilling to make that compromise and we decided to just cancel the project altogether.

We had hoped the Spurgeon Commentaries on the Gospels would be funded at some point but the reality of Community Pricing doomed this project. Both of these volumes are massive, leading to an extremely high production cost. At the time of cancellation, there were over 2,500 bids on this project. To fully fund it, we'd need to accumulate almost twice as many bids at the $10 bidding price. The community was too efficient at lowering the price on this project (some of that was our fault too—we didn't set an appropriate initial bid price for this project so it quickly dropped to $10).

The Spurgeon Commentaries series has been very well received so we're not giving up on them yet. We are planning on producing the two Old Testament Spurgeon Commentaries that were funded via Pre-Pub sometime this year. And we're considering adjusting the scope of the two Gospels volumes to lower the production cost to a feasible level. For now, we'll focus on producing the OT volumes and revisit the Gospels volumes afterwards.

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 11:26 AM

Here is a suggestion to help with CP:

When FL believes it is time to kill a project, before cancelling, why not let us know in the forums?  Give it another month to let Forum members talk it up and see if something develops.  That would be wiser in my opinion than blindsiding everyone with an announcement of a cancellation.  Is there some sense to what I am suggesting?

Posts 2423
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 2:20 PM

Mark:

Here is a suggestion to help with CP:

When FL believes it is time to kill a project, before cancelling, why not let us know in the forums?  Give it another month to let Forum members talk it up and see if something develops.  That would be wiser in my opinion than blindsiding everyone with an announcement of a cancellation.  Is there some sense to what I am suggesting?

And tell us what we need to bid to get it done.  

As I have said before, if we had some guidance: for example a statement like: IF ALL CURRENT BIDS WERE $250 IT WOULD BE PRODUCED

Then when the peak bid is at $25 we KNOW that we will NEVER see it.   

Please stop hinting at how much to bid with your ranges - Spell it out in words.  Please

https://community.logos.com/forums/p/79393/555540.aspx#555540     [Or post an update to this list every six months or so] 

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 16 2018 2:44 PM

FL, it is possible to revamp CP.  For example:

Resource A:

1. We need 2000 bids at $20 to get it into production

2. We need 1000 bids at $40 to get it into production

3. We need....

So far the chart shows we have

1. 300 bids at $20

2. 800 bids at $40...

Posts 128
Wayne Clarke | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 24 2018 12:08 PM

Jake,

Thank-you for your further explanation--greatly appreciated.

I am not sure if I am unique with this thought or not, but I often do not bid on CP or order a Pre-Pub Lexham titles.  Why?  Because those titles almost always form some part of a bundle or base package in the future.  Right or wrong, I have the belief that the pricing will be the same or cheaper as part of a 'sale' Lexham bundle or in part of a discounted Logos base package.  I do not need them now--I want them--but I can wait.  My purchasing approach is not unique for Lexham titles.

In the case of the Spurgeon Commentaries on the Gospels (2 vol.) I did place a CP bid, but I typically do not--for the reason stated above.  Maybe I am part of the problem as to why titles are cancelled.  Although, I definitely want these titles and WILL purchase them in the future, I am not placing a bid or Pre-Pub order 'now'.

Maybe there is a way to somehow determine potential 'future' purchasers of a title, so as to help make the decision to actually move forward with producing a title.  I know 'potential' orders is not necessarily a helpful way to fund a project, but maybe it can be part of your decision making process, if not already embedded in your decision tree.

Respectfully,

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS