So Who Bought the NICOT/NICNT?

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 63 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 2041
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 6:29 PM

Thanks.  Now I won't miss that! 

Glenn Crouch:

Gao Lu:

I was very pleased to finish off the NICOT/NT set.  Also finished off EBC and a few missing NIVAC.

Have you also grabbed the following as it comes out in a few weeks - so good to keep your set complete (at least that's my plan):

https://www.logos.com/product/150087/the-new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament-the-letter-to-the-colossians 

Whilst I really like the FF Bruce one that is included in the Set, McKnight's update is at a good pre-pub price Yes

Posts 6322
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 1:35 AM

Here is another volume that is not included:

https://www.logos.com/product/7457/new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament-the-gospel-of-luke

It’s a volume on Luke 1977.  We should at least get this one thrown in for free since all the older volumes are included in the 48 volume set except for the new ones.

DAL

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:09 AM

DAL:
We should at least get this one thrown in for free

Agreed

DAL:
since all the older volumes are included in the 48 volume set except for the new ones.

Not true. There are several older New Testament volumes listed on bestcommentaries.com that are not included in the 48 volume set.

Posts 6322
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:23 AM

Matthew:

DAL:

Agreed

DAL:
since all the older volumes are included in the 48 volume set except for the new ones.

Not true. There are several older New Testament volumes listed on bestcommentaries.com that are not included in the 48 volume set.

You are correct!  I have some of the older volumes that I got for free that’s why I thought they were part of the 48 volume set. My bad 🤗 

DAL

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:37 AM

DAL:

Here is another volume that is not included:

https://www.logos.com/product/7457/new-international-commentary-on-the-new-testament-the-gospel-of-luke

It’s a volume on Luke 1977.  We should at least get this one thrown in for free since all the older volumes are included in the 48 volume set except for the new ones.

DAL

I don't know about for free but I'd buy it for 60% off. As for haggai, I already have it for some reason... Recent prepub?

Posts 218
Joshua Tan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 5:58 AM

I've already got a couple of those topping the charts at BestCommentaries. My question is: should I complete the NIC collection? Or should I wait for the next sale (and possibly pay $5-$10 more per book - but only for the so-called better ones)?

I know for one that I will not be completing the WBC collection, since it has a reputation for being a rather uneven series.

What % of books in the NIC set would all of you consider to be not-so-helpful in your respective use cases?

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:14 AM

Joshua Tan:

I've already got a couple of those topping the charts at BestCommentaries. My question is: should I complete the NIC collection? Or should I wait for the next sale (and possibly pay $5-$10 more per book - but only for the so-called better ones)?

I know for one that I will not be completing the WBC collection, since it has a reputation for being a rather uneven series.

What % of books in the NIC set would all of you consider to be not-so-helpful in your respective use cases?

I guess it all depends on when the next sale might be.  From what I remember, the last sale I saw on NIC was $20 for 20.  I don't think this set goes on sale all that often but I could be wrong.  I have not by any means read more than 10% of this thing but the one reason I did get it as I've never been disappointed when I do go to it.  Not to mention it seems that very often when I read a book, an NIC volume is cited.  I'm never happy with citations so I always follow them up for context.  That is why I completed it.

Posts 58
WR82 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 12:51 PM

Joshua Tan:

I've already got a couple of those topping the charts at BestCommentaries. My question is: should I complete the NIC collection? Or should I wait for the next sale (and possibly pay $5-$10 more per book - but only for the so-called better ones)?...

I am also interested in the answer to this. I have 22 of the strongest NIC volumes. I am not sure about the others.

Should I buy the EBCrev or just save my pennies for Logos 8?

Posts 777
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 12:57 PM

WR82,

I had bought about the same number of highest ranked NIC volumes on bestcommentaries.com but when this sale came around, of the 25 that I still did not have, I found 16 were in the top 5. So, based on that, I purchased the remaining volumes of the NIC this week. Even though it cost me $350, we're probably not going to see the same price again. So, you may want to consider that.

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 1:01 PM
I would finish the NIC set if I were you, I don't think this sale will come back for awhile. It has never been this cheap

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 1390
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:50 PM

Matthew:

DAL:

Agreed

DAL:

Groan... Sad  I didn't realize there are old/older/oldish NIC volumes ranked on Best Commentaries that are NOT included in the 48 volume set.  I just assumed (silly me) that some of the NIC volumes were multi-book, but that all books were covered.  Guess now I have to find out what's missing.

Posts 3160
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 3:53 PM

I wish someone from FL could at least tell us why they weren't included

Posts 640
Into Grace | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 4:38 PM
Mattillo:

I wish someone from FL could at least tell us why they weren't included

Yes, please. I've been contemplating this purchase to complete my set. Now I see that Logos has withheld some volumes.
Posts 777
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 5:56 PM

I had to purchase separately John Murray's 2-volume NIC on Romans and Herman Ridderbos' NIC on Galatians. These are two older volumes not included in the current set.

Posts 4917
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:24 PM

David given publication date is 2017 I would say this was on prepub within the last 12 months and hence why it is yet to make it into the larger collection. It would be the same story with the volume on Philemon. This is normal FL practice.

We often have issue about things being bundled but on this ocassion we an issue with something not being bundled.

Eventually these titles will make it into the bundle.

David Bailey:

Posts 20
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:29 PM

That was my thinking, too, after looking at the publish date.  I will have to wait until it gets bundled.

thanks,

David

Disciple of Christ (doc):

David given publication date is 2017 I would say this was on prepub within the last 12 months and hence why it is yet to make it into the larger collection. It would be the same story with the volume on Philemon. This is normal FL practice.

We often have issue about things being bundled but on this ocassion we an issue with something not being bundled.

Eventually these titles will make it into the bundle.

David Bailey:

Posts 100
Brad | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:51 PM

I've added this set to my cart, removed it, added it, removed it.  Can't make up my mind.  Almost too good of a deal to pass up.  When is the sale over?

Logos 8 - Reformed Baptist Pastor - Student at MBTS - theologynights.com

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 7:15 PM

Brad:

I've added this set to my cart, removed it, added it, removed it.  Can't make up my mind.  Almost too good of a deal to pass up.  When is the sale over?

It's an excellent deal. Through March 31st.

Posts 1390
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 9:52 PM

PetahChristian:

Brad:

It's an excellent deal. Through March 31st.

Agreed!  In my previous post about not realizing the 48 volume set did not include all the NIC entries in the rankings list on Best Commentaries web site, I didn't mean it as a complaint about the set.  I was just kicking myself for having made the assumption that the set included all the NIC entries in Best's list.  As soon as Faithlife made the set available at the conclusion of the MM competition, I purchased all the volumes I needed to complete the set and haven't looked back.  I'm very thankful Faithlife made it available.

Page 3 of 4 (64 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS