Preferred Commentary: Advice?

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 3706
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 23 2018 6:23 PM

Bill Carroll:
I was wondering if the 'community' had any recommendations on which 'preferred commentary' should be listed first in one's library.  Granted that's going to come down to personal preference.  But I'm hoping to glean some tips and recommendations to help me make that decision.

The ACCS should be up there. It provides perspectives unique among the many commentary sets sold by FaithLife. It draws heavily from the very best in early Christian scholarship without losing pastoral applicability.

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:35 AM

I agree with what everyone say, but put at number spot a 1 volume comentary.  By placing a 1 volume commentary on top gives me a brief context and highlights the main points of the passage in a small read.

Posts 142
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:49 AM

Why doesn’t NAC not have psalms and Ephesians?

Posts 2680
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:50 AM

phil tuften:
 By placing a 1 volume commentary on top gives me a brief context and highlights the main points of the passage in a small read.

Yep. That's why I use BKC.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:52 AM

Not written, or not in Logos as yet.

Posts 142
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:55 AM

I see ephesians available on NAC print sets?  Not sure about psalms. Is logos actively working on Ephesians I wonder?

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 11:57 AM

Someone from FL will have to coment on this as I do not know if they are doing it, one would hope so.

Posts 11054
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:00 PM

phil tuften:

I agree with what everyone say, but put at number spot a 1 volume comentary.  By placing a 1 volume commentary on top gives me a brief context and highlights the main points of the passage in a small read.

Normally, I'd agree.

But if you park an Explorer panel nearby, you can mouse and scan your top 5 choices. At verse level, often it's all she wrote.  I rarely get past my top 5.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2680
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 12:23 PM

Denise:

Normally, I'd agree.

But if you park an Explorer panel nearby, you can mouse and scan your top 5 choices. At verse level, often it's all she wrote.  I rarely get past my top 5.

Good rebuttal! 

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2278
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:14 PM

I wish Logos would actively work on putting BECNT on sale.  How long has it been?  Even a paltry 32% would be nice.

Posts 7390
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:22 PM

Oh boy,  I’m going to have to revise my list. I didn’t include MacArthur’s NT Commentary, Hermeneia, Interpretation series, New Testament Library series, Lenski, REC, PtW and others. I might end up with a top 20 prioritized list.

DAL

Posts 18468
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 2:30 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
After UBS translation handbooks, now have a custom series with Top 2 Commentary volumes per Bible Book => https://www.bestcommentaries.com/topcommentaries/ (albeit my library lacks many Top 2 volumes so custom series includes 3rd or 4th highest rated - March Madness 2018 is providing incentive to acquire more Top 2 volumes)

March Madness was unkind to wallet Crying

After UBS and custom Top 2 Commentary Series, am liking => Poor Man's Old and New Testament Commentary (12 vols.) whose product description includes:

Poor Man's:

Charles Spurgeon exhorted his students, “Gentlemen, if you want something full of marrow and fatness, cheering to your own hearts by way of comment, and likely to help you in giving to your hearers rich expositions, buy Dr. Hawker’s Poor Man’s Commentary . . . he sees Jesus, and that is a sacred gift which is most precious.”

Thankful for friendly discussion so prioritized Exegetical Summaries as # 3.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus Smile

Posts 2589
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2018 3:03 PM

Don't listen to us - figure it out for yourself. [[unless you are using 'our' advice on what to buy next]]

How do you figure that out?  Do two short studies - One each OT & NT.  Use every resource in your Logos library.  Let your library tell you which to use.  

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS