Clean up Passage Guide on the fly?

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 22 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 21
Kenneth P. McCaulley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, May 4 2010 3:52 PM

I am using a custom passage guide ("My Passage Guide").  As I'm studying I close the commentaries I have read, so that only the unread ones appear next time I open Logos. BUT . .  when I reopen Logos the next day, they're open again.  It used to keep them closed from session to session.  Any way to fix this so they stay gone?

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 4:34 PM

So you open several commentaries from PG in different tabs and then close the ones you have studied? When you restart L4 the closed ones re-appear?

I opened a couple and closed one. When I restarted L4 only the unread one was there...

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 21
Kenneth P. McCaulley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 4:40 PM

No - I close them in the passage guide, so they are removed from the PG.  Then, when I re-open, they are back in the PG.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 5:07 PM

Kenneth P. McCaulley:

No - I close them in the passage guide, so they are removed from the PG.  Then, when I re-open, they are back in the PG.

Do you mean you "remove" them ("x" them out)?  I had never tried that until your post, but like your experience, my "removed" commentaries reappear when I open Logos.  I think the Passage guide is simply regenerating itself.  What is the reason you want them removed?  I am heading out of the office, so I can't try it out, but maybe if you save your layout, with the PG not displaying "removed" commentaries, that upon opening up that saved layout, the commentaries might still not be shown.  DOes that make sense?  Ie, remove the commentaries you don't want, save the layout as "current study" (or something), close the layout, and then open it up again.  See if that saves your PG as you left it.  It may not, but it is worth a shot.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 5:47 PM

Kenneth P. McCaulley:

I find that they come back when I change the passage or restart L4. I've created a bug report at http://wiki.logos.com/Bug$3a_Commentaries_removed_in_Passage_Guide_do_not_stay_that_way!

Please edit that as necessary.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 6:09 PM

Dave Hooton:
I find that they come back when I change the passage or restart L4

They are supposed to return when you change the passage - you are simply marking them of no interest in the passage guide of this particular passage. You change the commentary collections to remove a commentary from all passages. They should stay closed for a particular passage guide until you asked to refresh the guide - that portion would be a bug.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 6:27 PM

YES - they come back often ...

I too sometimes delete each commentary from the PG as I read/review each in turn. I note that if I start with only the first 6, and don't expand the "More": If I delete the first two or three, then click "More" for the rest, the deleted ones come back then too.

Same after restarting Logos4: In the same way that Searches rerun, the PG restarts too, so ones I've already read (deleted) comes back too, just like above.

Using the STARS to mark a commentry is no use. The stars don't survive a Logos4 restart, and its not clear if they have any use at all.

As to why I might restart Logos4 and want to maintain some kind of state for a current PG? Thats easy: I have over 30 commentaries, so it can take a long time to review them all if I want to see what each might say. It would be useful if I could carry some PG state over multiple restarts/days as I continue to work down the list.

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 6:31 PM

Jim Towler:
Using the STARS to mark a commentry is no use. The stars don't survive a Logos4 restart, and its not clear if they have any use at all.

This is also a bug - one I thought had been fixed. Are you comfortable reporting this bug in the wiki? The failure of a passage guide to retain integrity across a stop and start seriously limits the usefulness.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 21
Kenneth P. McCaulley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 6:58 PM

I've tried that - saving the layout as "WIP".  Doesn't work.

Posts 25858
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 7:17 PM

MJ. Smith:
They are supposed to return when you change the passage

There's a thought that one may remove them for a session, irrespective of passage changes. Refresh Guide can renew the list if one doesn't like that! But I'm not invested in that thought as a bug, so please change the wiki report (and title if necessary) to reflect the issues on restart.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 4 2010 11:07 PM

Dave Hooton:
so please change the wiki report (and title if necessary) to reflect the issues on restart.

I did add a note to it. My expected behavior was from Camp Logos ... which does not mean I remember accurately. So I modified it to indicate that there were multiple expected behaviors and will let Logos sort out their intent.

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 1:47 AM

You have to save it as a named report in order for the stars and deleted commentaries and notes to be remembered. After deleting commentaries, making notes and stars, click the little triangle beside the reference in the topmost section of the passage guide (in the guide itself, not the locator bar), and give it a title. Then it will be saved under this name and this particular saved report will get regenerated the next time you run that particular customized passage guide on that particular verse or verse range. When I do that and close and restart Logos, it remembers which commentaries I starred and deleted, and my notes.

I don't think there's a bug here. At least it's functioning for me as it was designed to function (EDIT: I'm using 4.0c Beta 7). But it's a peculiar design that I've never come to appreciate. It is completely unintuitive, and it stumps smart people like all of us every time.

Posts 29605
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 2:09 AM

Rosie Perera:
At least it's functioning for me as it was designed to function (EDIT: I'm using 4.0c Beta 7). But it's a peculiar design that I've never come to appreciate.

You are likely correct. In the early releases we were left with all sorts on unintentional stored PG's. I still have a PG specifically to find such leftovers. I wasn't aware of the changes.

Posts 21
Kenneth P. McCaulley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 5:47 AM

But then how do I delete the report when I'm done with it, so I don't have all the clutter?

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 6:26 AM

Kenneth P. McCaulley:
But then how do I delete the report when I'm done with it, so I don't have all the clutter?

[ Thanks Rosie, on that tip that a PG saves if you name it. ]

OK - Logos4 just wins an award for UI-Feature-You-Wont-Guess.

I just made a few saved PGs, for 1 Cor 12-14, and 1 Cor 13 and I saw a "More" option. So, taking that to the next level ...

I made a PG for Matt-Rev, and now on MORE, I get to see my saved ones, complete with DELETE options.

Is there no better way to open saved ones than to define one for a whole book or NT etc?

Anyway, the gaphic with the clues on deleting old ones now - or to open saved ones ...

( Sorry no mouse on capture, but it was near the red "delete")

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 1:04 PM

Jim Towler:
Is there no better way to open saved ones than to define one for a whole book or NT etc?

If the saved guide is for more than one verse, you can run the guide on just one of those verses to display the saved guide and delete it.

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 1:40 PM

Melissa Snyder:

Jim Towler:

If the saved guide is for more than one verse, you can run the guide on just one of those verses to display the saved guide and delete it.

The problem is remembering what verse(s) you might have made saved guides for. To find them all, you need to run a guide on a larger section of the Bible that would encompass them. And to find them all, you have to run a guide on the whole Bible. We've been complaining about this cumbersome UI for months. It would be really nice if somewhere we could just open a list of all our saved guides and look through them, to recall what we'd studied before and see if we want to weed out any old ones we don't need anymore.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 2:44 PM

Rosie Perera:
The problem is remembering what verse(s) you might have made saved guides for. To find them all, you need to run a guide on a larger section of the Bible that would encompass them. And to find them all, you have to run a guide on the whole Bible. We've been complaining about this cumbersome UI for months. It would be really nice if somewhere we could just open a list of all our saved guides and look through them, to recall what we'd studied before and see if we want to weed out any old ones we don't need anymore.

I've submitted a request to make this easier.

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 7:06 PM

Melissa Snyder:
I've submitted a request to make this easier.

OK - Logos wins a new award now: Great company that listens to users.

Thanks Melissa.

Posts 18899
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 5 2010 7:31 PM

Jim Towler:

OK - Logos wins a new award now: Great company that listens to users.

That's not new. They've won that award for the last several years running. Smile

Thanks, Melissa!

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS