Alpha 20 Teasers

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 60 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 127
Darren Paul Wright | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 10 2010 3:35 PM

Scott Criswell:

Scott Fleischman:

Shortcuts will be available in Alpha 20.  You can drag a resource or tab onto the empty toolbar area to create shortcuts.

This is a welcome addition (thank you), but is this the final design for this portion of the software? This header just does not seem to fit with the apple UI aesthetic.

No, it's not.

User Interface Designer - Logos Bible Software

Posts 82
Wade Bishop | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 7:56 AM

YES!!  I love previews of the next ALPHA!  [MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE MORE]Big Smile

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:52 AM

Great to hear! I look forward to seeing the final design. You wouldn't want to share a screenshot of the final application design by any chance would you. Wink

Hey it doesn't hurt to ask! :)

"Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart
be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer."

- Psalm 19:14

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 12:40 PM

Scott Criswell:
You wouldn't want to share a screenshot of the final application design by any chance would you?

If we had a screenshot of the final design, it'd be implemented, already. Smile

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 1:15 PM

David Mitchell:

Scott Criswell:
You wouldn't want to share a screenshot of the final application design by any chance would you?

If we had a screenshot of the final design, it'd be implemented, already. Smile

Wow, developers outpacing designers... I thought that was impossible. LOL. :)

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 2:24 PM

Scott Criswell:
This header just does not seem to fit with the apple UI aesthetic.

I agree. To match the standard Apple UI, there should be a 'Customize Toolbar...' item in the 'View' menu which brings up a pane something like this one from Mail:

Each of the elements already on the standard L4 toolbar (Home button, Library button, Search button, Command bar, layout menu) should be in the suite of buttons available, plus - I guess - everything in the 'Guides' and 'Tools' menu. This shouldn't change the current standard look and functionality, but provide ultimate flexibility and co-ordination with the Apple UI.

Read FAQ and Guide for Reporting Bugs.

13" Macbook • 2GHz • 2GB RAM • OS 10.6.6 • 160GB Hard Drive

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 2:36 PM

The problem with such an approach is that our palette of tools that you can add to the shortcuts bar is virtually infinite: not only can you add the standard panes, but you can also add links to your documents, layouts, specific locations in books, and even commands like "rebuild index" or "facilitate serendipitous discovery".

The Apple provided UI for managing toolbars doesn't even come close to supporting these scenarios.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 12 2010 11:22 PM

David Mitchell:
The problem with such an approach is that our palette of tools that you can add to the shortcuts bar is virtually infinite

Take a look at the Finder toolbar, where Apple have included the all the major icons on the 'Customize Toolbar...' pane, but the Finder still allows me to drag any folder, file or alias onto the main toolbar. Isn't that exactly what you want?

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 8:53 AM

Stephen Ashton:
Isn't that exactly what you want?

More or less, yes. Unfortunately, the means for accomplishing such an effect is not part of the documented interface for the toolbar.

With a little digging around, we could probably figure out how the Finder does it and replicate that effect. In doing so, however, we'd be making our application much more fragile: if Apple were to change or remove this mechanism in the future (something they frequently do with undocumented interfaces), our app would either lose much of its toolbar functionality or possibly even cease to function at all (if, for example, calling into the changed/removed code caused a crash).

There is, of course, always the possibility that Apple may choose to document this behavior in a future release of OS X (in fact, you can even go to http://radar.apple.com and recommend that they do so). When and if that happens, we may revisit this issue once that version becomes the oldest supported version for Logos.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:09 AM

Link is broken above. Should be http://radar.apple.com

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:13 AM

Fixed.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:39 AM

I would argue a middle ground approach. Maintain the standard mac behavior for toolbar customization. But you don't need to include every element within the sheet itself. I would only maintain the standard UI elements and an element that can contain the shortcuts, while not containing every available shortcut. So then the end user could still interact with the main tool bar as expected (arrange, rearrange controls etc.) and you don't have to be concerned with the quantity and type of shortcuts available only the shortcut field would be required for management.

So if the end user (and this would be the default setting) had the shortcut field or segment available to them in the header they could then add whatever they like to that field just as they can now in the windows version.

All this being said, my original concern was more aesthetic in nature than interactive. But I would love to see this level polish for the mac version. For me this is what separates a windows port (even a very good one) from a fully integrated native mac application (and this argument has nothing whatsoever to do with the use of Mono). It's the use of native system calls, UI controls and expected user experience of something designed for the platform that are my main concerns. Logos 4 has a great design but it is in so many ways customized to the very unique WPF windows experience. So far the Mac client feels like a port of this experience to the mac more than a native mac app.

I don't want to rain on anyones parade. I'm very happy with the progress of the Logos 4 client for the Mac. Once it's completed and a bit zippier I'll be THRILLED even if it's more or less a fantastic port. But I know that I'd be even more excited to have a slightly altered Mac client with a more native UI feel and experience.

Everything said and done, I love the core concepts of Logos 4 and I would hate to see them removed for the Mac. I'm thinking mainly of the wonderful window management design.  All and all It's looking like I'm going to be a very happy customer. I just think a little nudge here and there never hurt. :)

Blessings!

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:46 AM

I posted a few screenshots and comments a few months back that are related to this discussion.

See this thread:

The conversation begins here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/5448.aspx

The UI starts to take shape here:

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/5448.aspx?PageIndex=3

It's not a perfect design, but it's something to help the conversation along.

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 9:59 AM

As a windows user, I'll comment that the Mac UI has style to burn.... Stick out tongue

It wouldn't bother me if my windows app looked and behaved just like the Mac version...it just looks so darn cool...

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 235
Stephen Ashton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 10:27 AM

Scott Criswell:
All this being said, my original concern was more aesthetic in nature than interactive.

I agree with you. However, for me the real beauty of the Apple UI is in the usability rather than merely the aesthetics.

Posts 55
Scott Criswell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 10:38 AM

I would agree but with one exception. I don't think it's an either or but rather an argument for both for me. I think both are required to accomplish the ideal user experience.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:24 PM

Stephen Ashton:

Scott Criswell:
All this being said, my original concern was more aesthetic in nature than interactive.

I agree with you. However, for me the real beauty of the Apple UI is in the usability rather than merely the aesthetics.

I agree, one of the things I love about the Mac for example is in Pages '09 vs. MS Word (I know MS Word in on the Mac, I have it, but Pages is so streamlined is easier to work with) is the fact that I have the inspector (no annoying drop down menus) but a wonderful interface. But function (I can add buttons for things I do a lot). While it would be nice to to have a streamlined toolbar (I might not put books and things like that (favorites works better) but the ability to have some of the items (i.e. highlighting, cited by ect.) on the toolbar rather than a pull down menu will be very nice!

Posts 1246
David Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 4:42 PM

Also new in Alpha 20 will be a sync state indicator (which can be clicked to force an immediate sync) and the ability to drag commands from the command bar into your window or the shortcuts menu.

David Mitchell
Development Lead
Faithlife

Posts 82
Wade Bishop | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 8:08 AM

NOTES! NOTES! NOTES! NOTES! [chanting]  Big Smile

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 14 2010 9:28 AM

Yes Notes Please, and Clippings! I like the look of that on the PC videos. It would be so cool to do that on the Mac.

Page 2 of 4 (61 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS