Multiview Resources – ESV OT + HDNT

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 32 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 5003
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 3:01 AM

Pete no sarcasm was intended so accept my apologies if you took it that way. If you read what I actually said I was offering a solution outside of the box that was cost effective for you and cost and time effective for FL.  What might seem like a simple change in he surface could actually require a lot of code change because of the flow on effects of the change you are suggesting. Whether you are willing to accept my word or not, there was no judgement of you intended by what I said, I was simply someone standing from the outside looking at the problem with a different perspective and I stand by my belief if you had access to the HDOT in the firstplace that you may have never suggested this change to software. And this change is not like to happen any time soon while with my solution your problem could be resolved very quickly.

in addition such a change will only increase the complexity of the software. FL have generally been resistant to increasing user choice in the software as that they always say leads to increased after sales support costs. Hence once again I go back to my solution of granting you a license to access the HDOT as the quickest and most cost and time effective solution to your initial problem.

If FL decide there is merit in what you are suggesting, now that you have suggested it, that still could be looked at, while your immediate problen is dealt with immediately if you get access to HDOT.

Pete De Bonte:

Disciple of Christ (doc):
So what you are wanting is for FL to redesign the software because the [the alternative] is to expensive for you to purchase.…

Sarcasm?

I tried to pose this as something that might be useful for others, as well. If I could, I'd rename the thread.

I think KS4J was also posing another application with his "Send Hyperlinks Here" screenshot, above; but for yet another example,
how about a Multiview column using:

• OT: Lexham English Septuagint
  • NT: Lexham English Bible

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 4:32 AM

Whether you are willing to accept my word or not, there was no judgement of you intended by what I said,
I am certainly willing to accept it. Thanks. : )

I stand by my belief if you had access to the HDOT in the firstplace that you may have never suggested this change to software
That is true, as I've been using the HDNT for a couple years now, and a full Bible + HDNT was my first Multiview application, which has made it easier to use when I am switching between NT and OT passages (thanks Faithlife! : ), but I think this suggestion could make it even better (btw, I'm also a programmer : )

I go back to my solution of granting you a license to access the HDOT as the quickest and most cost and time effective solution to your initial problem.

I do appreciate Faithlife's generosity with free resources and HDOT access certainly would be a generous gift (I do enjoy Steve Runge's stuff : ). On the other hand, I also certainly wouldn't expect that, and simply giving the HDOT to me it wouldn't help others (e.g. MJ who would like to apply my idea "for resources with differing canons.")

Posts 357
LogosEmployee
Adam Borries (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 10:51 AM

MJ. Smith:

Pete De Bonte:
One way to think about it (but certainly not the only way), would be to to allow prioritization of resources in the Multiview, e.g. in one of the Multiview columns, always display this resource if it contains the passage, and then fallback to this other resource when it doesn't.

Put this way, I think this is a reasonable and useful request - especially for people who set multivews for resources with differing canons.

Reasonable and useful, agreed. I suspect, however, that even within the narrow scope of Multiview there are other features that would be more widely appreciated. For instance: 

• A one-click toggle on/off.
  • A better resource picker UI (which would also apply to Text Comparison)

Pete, thanks for this idea. Would you do me a favor and post it at https://logos.uservoice.com, so we can better gauge user interest against other feature requests?

Adam Borries | Product Manager, Logos desktop application

Message me on Faithlife.com >>

Posts 5003
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2018 2:58 PM

Pete De Bonte:

Whether you are willing to accept my word or not, there was no judgement of you intended by what I said,
I am certainly willing to accept it. Thanks. : )

I stand by my belief if you had access to the HDOT in the firstplace that you may have never suggested this change to software
That is true, as I've been using the HDNT for a couple years now, and a full Bible + HDNT was my first Multiview application, which has made it easier to use when I am switching between NT and OT passages (thanks Faithlife! : ), but I think this suggestion could make it even better (btw, I'm also a programmer : )

I go back to my solution of granting you a license to access the HDOT as the quickest and most cost and time effective solution to your initial problem.

I do appreciate Faithlife's generosity with free resources and HDOT access certainly would be a generous gift (I do enjoy Steve Runge's stuff : ). On the other hand, I also certainly wouldn't expect that, and simply giving the HDOT to me it wouldn't help others (e.g. MJ who would like to apply my idea "for resources with differing canons.")

👍

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 2:59 PM

Adam Borries (Faithlife):
Pete, thanks for this idea. Would you do me a favor and post it at https://logos.uservoice.com, so we can better gauge user interest against other feature requests?

Well, based on the length of this thread, I've clearly had difficulty conveying this idea. Anyone with experience writing successful UserVoice post(s) want to propose how to phrase it?

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 19 2018 3:44 PM

Without requiring the range specification to come from Advanced Prioritization, you could phrase the request like:-

Allow a display Range for resources in Multiview

Allow a datatype range to be specified that would limit the information displayed by a given resource in the Multiview e.g. only display the resource in a Multiview column if the active reference is within the specified range. This would restrict use of the resource similar to "in this range" in Advanced Prioritization.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2018 6:46 PM

Dave Hooton:
datatype range

Thanks for giving it a shot, Dave, but what's a "datatype range"? This thread is the only hit that Google has on Logos.com for that phrase, so I'm presuming we'd need to choose a more common description if people are to be inclined to vote for this feature.

Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 24 2018 3:55 PM

Pete De Bonte:
Thanks for giving it a shot, Dave, but what's a "datatype range"?

You could use "reference range" to tie in with the rest of the description e.g. Mt-Rev, Louw Nida 12.1–12.10, Greek Strong's 1-10

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 6:18 PM

Wow, 2 months have passed and I still haven't gotten over the presumed bother of having to create a UserVoice account. Tonight I finally tried posting this to confirm that I really must create an account. Yup.

Regardless, any feedback on the following description, which I expanded from Dave's draft? (Thanks : )

I suggest you…
Allow a reference range for resources in Multiview

Allow a reference range to be specified for a resource that would limit when a resource will be displayed in the Multiview panel. For example, lets say we have Bible A with Apocrypha as the main resource, and add the following Multiview resources:

• Bible B without Apocrypha: include for any passage that it contains.
  • Bible C with Apocrypha: include only for Apocrypha references

Thus, the resultant Multiview panel would always display 2 and only 2 columns:

• Bibles A&B for non-Apocrypha
  • Bibles A&C for the Apocrypha
Posts 24919
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 25 2018 6:33 PM

Pete De Bonte:
Regardless, any feedback on the following description,

The description is clear. Post the suggestion to Uservoice. You should be able to use your Logos account to sign in.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 9 2018 4:46 PM

Dave Hooton:
The description is clear. Post the suggestion to Uservoice. You should be able to use your Logos account to sign in.

Thanks Dave, but my Logos account doesn't satisfy it, and creating an account involves pages of ToS.

Might anyone who already has a Logos.UserVoice.com account mind pasting what I wrote there?

Posts 128
Pete De Bonte | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 10 2018 7:27 PM

Thank you! : )

Page 2 of 2 (33 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS