How to automatically highlight OT verses that are quoted in the NT?

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Sangjoon Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Apr 15 2018 8:53 PM

Hi,

Is there a way to automatically highlight in my Bible

• all OT verses that are quoted (or alluded to) in the NT, and
  • all NT verses that are quotations (or allusions) of OT text?

Having this sort of highlight on would make me more aware of significance of OT texts that are mentioned in NT.

I'm thinking there must be a way of doing this with a visual filter, but I know not how.

Thanks in advance!

Posts 25631
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Apr 15 2018 11:55 PM

See Keep Smiling 4 Jesus from https://community.logos.com/forums/p/160835/964694.aspx

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Updated "Label Intertext + Quotation: Blue Letter" visual filter as Label Intertext has expanded so {Label Intertext} finds more than Old Testament use of the New Testament.

Matthew 6:13 has two Echos from Sirach 23:1 and Sirach 33:1 along with a Dead Sea Scroll Echo.  Also Matthew 6:13 is the source for three uses in Apostolic Fathers and two in Nag Hammadi Codices.

One performance idea is searching Surface Text instead of All Bible Text.

Faithlife internally has numbered deuterocanonical books; logos wiki has => Canonical Commentary Collections

FYI: idea for Blue Letter came from printed Jesus Centered Bible that has Blue text in Old Testament along with box explaining usage in New Testament.

Keep Smiling Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1497
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 16 2018 12:26 AM

MJ. Smith:

If you wish to exclude "Allusions" and "Echo" in order to have only the more sure connections (I prefer this), I would do two separate Visual Filter lines:

{Label Intertext WHERE  Target ~ <Matt-Rev> AND Relationship = "Citation"} OR {Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-Mal> AND Relationship = "Citation"}

{Label Intertext WHERE  Target ~ <Matt-Rev> AND Relationship = "Quotation"} OR {Label Intertext WHERE Source ~ <Gen-Mal> AND Relationship = "Quotation"}

Posts 4
Sangjoon Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 20 2018 8:13 PM

Thank you, MJ Smith and Reuben, for your help! It works beautifully.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS