passage guide for apostolic fathers

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Apr 25 2018 12:51 AM

Somebody please save me time and frustration.

I opened an apostolic father book Didache.  Hermeneia has a commentary on that.  I was hoping to find a passage guide available when I right clicked on a verse, but there was none to be had.

I looked in my library and discovered that under types, there is Bible commentary and commentary.  Commentary lists commentaries on non-biblical books are like ancient Greek and Latin texts, plus the Hermeneia books.  I'm thinking that has to be more books that are commentaries on them.  I know there are some in German, but Logos doesn't have them yet.  it's 2:45 AM.  I need to sleep, but that's another issue.

So I'm looking for a guide that will treat the apostolic fathers like a regular passage guide.  It may not need much.  There are commentaries that refer to them, lexicons, and probably some other Greek language tools like grammars word studies, etc.

Thank you

I had an idea.  I created a new guide (took a passage guide template and cleared all I didn't want.  Surprised to see no ready made sections for lexicons.  I started a collection for these Hermeneia commentaries on apostolic fathers, starting with mytag:apostolic fathers, 7 books, but ended up with 28 books.  I sorted my library by subject apostolic fathers and got 6.  Why would I get 28 results in my collection.  I could move them one by one out of there, but I want to be sure I'm not missing anything.  Thank you

I since fixed that problem, but when I open to a passage in apostolic fathers, and right click, no guide shows up.  Anyway I can get that option

Thank you

Posts 21941
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2018 4:51 AM

Larry Craig:
I since fixed that problem, but when I open to a passage in apostolic fathers, and right click, no guide shows up.  Anyway I can get that option

This won't work in a Passage Guide as there is no Bible Index associated with the apostolic father's texts.

You can use a Milestone search to find where in commentaries in your collection focus on a particular "passage"

Not as convenient as a Guide but hopefully it helps.

Posts 17974
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2018 6:07 AM

Graham Criddle:
You can use a Milestone search to find where in commentaries in your collection focus on a particular "passage"

{Milestone <ApostolicFathers Didache 1.1>}

Also can search for references to Apostolic Fathers: e.g. Didache 1.1

<ApostolicFathers Didache 1.1>

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2018 7:28 AM

thank you

now that Hermeneia and ICC are doing regular Bible-like commentaries, seems it's time for Logos to update its program

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2018 4:49 PM

I put the Hermeneia icon at the top of my page nest to the command bar.  When the Didache is open, I click on the icon, and it opens to the same page.  Problem solved,  For now.  That space can get crowded at time goes on.

Thanks again

Posts 600
Larry Craig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2018 4:53 PM

This seems to give far more results than are useful.  I put the Hermeneia book icon at the top of the page next to the command bar  When the Didache is opened to a passage, I click on the icon and it opens to that passage.  But with more commentaries coming out on the Apostolic Fathers, Logos needs to modify the passage guide to accommodate that.

Thank  you for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS