Confusing product offerings...still

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
Allan Young | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 3 2018 8:41 PM

I want to get excited about getting Logos, but every few years when I go to see what the latest product offerings are on the Logos site, I get totally confused by the many packages and the vague descriptions. What's "standard", "sda", "features only", "essential upgrade"?  If Logos gets a major version upgrade, what are the implications for a previous version? My confidence in making a good purchase deflates, and I navigate away. Maybe in a few more years the product offerings will be more clear. Probably not.

I'm sure a conversation with a sales rep could clear things, but something like this shouldn't need a personal consultation.

And, the products are just ridiculously expensive. Look at Adobe...for $50/month (and way less for certain user types) an individual gets full access to every product Adobe makes...an incredible value. (And Adobe makes a fortune on that.) Your Collector's Edition is $10,000, for cryin' out loud!

Summary: insurmountable barriers to entry.

-Allan

Posts 22076
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 12:06 AM

Hi Allan - and welcome to the forums

Allan Young:
I'm sure a conversation with a sales rep could clear things

That may well be the best option but let me - as a Logos user - try and address some of your questions.

Allan Young:
What's "standard", "sda", "features only", "essential upgrade"?

The way many people get access to Logos resources is through purchasing a base package - these comprise a set of resources (referred to as a library on the product pages) and a set of features which enable access to different pieces of Logos functionality (known as feature sets).

So if someone has a large library of books in Logos already and wants to just get the latest features they can purchase a feature set and not update their resources at all.

The standard / sda / baptist etc groupings are simply library packages based around different denominational streams. So if someone comes from an SDA context they will most likely find resources of interest to them in an SDA package. A good, general, place to start is in the standard stream.

The "essential upgrades" are simply a combination of resource and features that people might find helpful - and these are available at different levels.

The packaging is complex but it has been developed to address the very different requirements and expectations of the customer base.

Do you have a view as to what you might be looking for in terms of resources and features? We might be able to point you in the right direction.

Allan Young:
If Logos gets a major version upgrade, what are the implications for a previous version?

You will still keep the resources and features you purchase now - and will have the option to upgrade to add additional resources and features. The value of previous purchases will be taken into account when calculating the cost of additional purchases. This is not just true when major releases come out but with many products available from Logos.

Allan Young:
Maybe in a few more years the product offerings will be more clear.

The way they are presented does tend to change with major releases - we'll have to see what happens with the next one

Allan Young:
And, the products are just ridiculously expensive. Look at Adobe...for $50/month (and way less for certain user types) an individual gets full access to every product Adobe makes...an incredible value. (And Adobe makes a fortune on that.) Your Collector's Edition is $10,000, for cryin' out loud!

Collectors Edition is expensive (although at this moment it is $8,640) but it does provide access to 4,823 resources which is less than $2 per resource. But whether those resources are of value to you is another matter and only you can determine that.

At the other end, the base product with a limited set of resources is available for free - https://www.logos.com/product/136022/basic 

You mention monthly subscriptions - this is another option Faithlife provides. For $50 per month - for example - you can get "Faithlife Connect Plus" - https://connect.faithlife.com/pricing - which gives you access to all the Logos feature sets and 725 resources (along with other benefits). And different subscriptions are available at different price points.

Allan Young:

Hopefully my comments provide some context and help - but please post back with any further questions

Graham

Posts 18007
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 4 2018 9:02 PM

Allan Young:

Welcome Big Smile

One entry does not need a credit card for $ 0.00 order total: Basic packages => Basic and => Verbum Basic along with free resources => https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=price%3a0&pageSize=60&Status=Live Caveat: "access-only" resources have no effect on dynamic pricing of upgrades (while having no time constraint for free use).

Thankful for a number of useful Bible Study features being enabled without needing to expend money.

Allan Young:
Maybe in a few more years the product offerings will be more clear. Probably not.

Thankful for expansion of product offerings. Faithlife Corporation offers over 100,000 digital resources, which has potential for wallet to cry Crying

Faithlife offers rental and/or purchase. Thankful for many base packages in my library, which is useful when searching for articles. Also Thankful digital resources are not live people since the various views found in articles have substantial disagreement.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS