Bug report - Hebrew cantillations interactive tool, LHB/SESB BHS pointing variation

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, May 20 2018 3:51 PM

Per the SESB BHS Daniel 7:5 has an atnach under שׁניה

but the Hebrew Cantillations tool seems to miss it:

Perhaps it is because the atnach doesn't appear in the Lexham Hebrew Bible, but has been turned into a vowel mark:

perhaps by trying to integrate Ketiv and Qere?

Dell XPS 8930/Intel Core i7-8700@3.20GHz/32GB RAM/Win10 Pro

Trekstor Primebook/Celeron/4GB RAM/Win10 Home

iPad Air/Pixel/Faithlife Connect

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2018 4:10 PM

An error for sure. An edge case.

Personally, I would stick to BHS for now. I won't say it's an exact duplicate of the print edition, but the variations do seem to be kept to a minimum.

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 20 2018 4:13 PM

I love the cantillation tool!  Disappointed that I have to parse this verse out for myself. Wink

Posts 1259
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 11:26 AM

Hi Mary-Ellen.

The SESB form of the BHS and the LHB actually have pretty much the same data for this verse (Dan 7.5), it is just ordered differently. The LHB uses the 'reconstructed' ketiv line as its main text, the BHS SESB uses the what LHB calls ketiv as its main text and the 'reconstructed' ketiv as the second line, a shown below (lines activated using "inline interlinear"):

The cantillation interactive (and the cantillation analysis graphs) draw from the "main text" line (so, reconstructed form) of the LHB. There are differences in all of the lines that, as you rightly note, may affect the way the cantillation trees are drawn.

It was deemed best to use the top line of the LHB for both the cantillation interactive and the cantillation analysis graphs so the results matched the LHB text since they both do analyze the LHB.

Hope it helps.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 412
Mary-Ellen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 7:04 PM

Thanks, Rick, for digging into this question.  I see what you are saying.  It just seems strange to have a verse without an atnach.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS