Question about linking and commentary sets

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Eric Meier | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, May 21 2018 7:59 AM

I'm currently lurking on the edges of Logos, not quite ready to make the (pricey) jump into the ecosystem just yet. I've been trying out the free program and resources for the past few months to see how things might fit together should I opt to invest in more resources, and there's one unknown variable that's been holding me back.

The question I have is in regards to commentary sets. I very much enjoy and rely on linking bible texts to commentaries, so that they scroll together in sync. My question is in regards to multi-volume commentary sets, and how this might function within Logos.

Let's say I have a bible text open in one window, and a commentary linked in another window. How does this work with commentary sets? It appears they are broken up into several volumes. Would I need to manually switch to another volume if I jump from, say, Genesis to Exodus? Or does Logos somehow fuse multiple volumes together that share a common title?

Additionally, how might this work if I were to piece together different parts of a commentary set? For instance, say I bought a few volumes from Word Biblical Commentary, then added more volumes later as needed. Would these also be somehow amalgamated into a unified resource within Logos, or would they remain separate -- particularly in regards to linked windows that sync with the bible text.

Posts 10039
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2018 8:28 AM

Eric, you're in luck:

- The software automatically switches commentary volumes (eg Gen > Exo) if they are in a SERIES. Which they ship as.

- You can change a series to combine several commentaries. But a sinle volume can only belong to one series. If you 'break' the original shipped series, you can also 'go back' and re-set the series.

- Others will likely show steps

Your problem in Logos is two-fold:

- Logos doesn't have a 'leader' in linking resources. So, your Bible can lead your commentary. But if you move the text in the commentary (reading), it will shift your Bible. Not good.

- Logos sort of solves this with the Multiview icon ... for a Bible, you can add commentaries in a pane, which are then 'led' by the left-most resource (eg a Bible).

- But going back to the normal linking, commentaries are linked by sections. As you scroll a Bible, they bounce badly (which can be good). But more often, it's easier to leave it all unlinked.

Posts 2181
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 21 2018 3:57 PM

To add to Denise's already excellent response, I use the passage guide which links to bible verse in your commentaries. If you open a commentary from there, the commentary is not linked and you can go where ever without impacting your study verse. In addition, I open a second bible and select to send all links to it, so if there is a reference to another verse in a commentary, that bible will open and not impact the one with my study verse or pericope.

I would gladly provide you some screen shots or further explanations should you request it.

Posts 2
Eric Meier | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 9:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. It sounds like Logos will do what I am wanting it to do, though there may be a bit of a learning curve.

A second question related to the first is whether this functionality is also available in the ipad app as well? I recognize that there will obviously be certain limitations to mobile vs desktop, but I am wondering if the combining of commentary sets as a series would also be present in the mobile app?

Posts 10039
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 10:41 AM

Hopefully I’m wrong.

I put an NRSV in a top pane (ios), a Word commentary in the bottom. Linked them. Then tried several books of the Bible, in the NRSV pane (making sure Word covers it). Nada. That’s with a shipped series.

Posts 21725
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2018 11:39 AM

Denise:
Hopefully I’m wrong.

Sorry, Denise, but you are right!

Series linking isn't supported on the mobile apps.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS