Changing LORD to Yahweh

Page 1 of 6 (113 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 112 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2460
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, May 13 2010 12:29 PM

I just thought that I'd share how I'm using visual filters to reveal where יהוה (YHWH) is in the OT. I actually replace the text with Yahweh. 

First create a new highlighting style (right click in the highlighting panel):

Then, create a Visual Filter (File Menu) and have it display your new style whenever יהוה is in the text (This will look in the reverse interlinear):

The text of your Bible will now display like this:

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org | hantla.com/blog

Posts 14387
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:35 PM

Jacob Hantla:
I just thought that I'd share how I'm using visual filters to reveal where יהוה (YHWH) is in the OT. I actually replace the text with Yahweh.

This is worthy of a blog entry and/or a wiki entry. Thanks for sharing.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 6684
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:35 PM

Nice idea, Jacob. Too bad we can't get Logos to recognize the article as part of the word so 'the LORD' would be in italics above the line. Nevertheless this is a very creative use of highlighting.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 164
Anthony U | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:38 PM

Jacob-

That is really cool - good job.  I plan on doing this. 

Do you think you could get the article "the" in the visual filter so that the passage reads Yahweh instead of the Yahweh?

Regards,

Anthony

Posts 2460
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:39 PM

Thanks.

This technique obviously could be used to do this for any word. Differentiation among the greek words for love could be a good use too. 

Jacob Hantla

Posts 2460
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:41 PM

Anthony U:

Jacob-

That is really cool - good job.  I plan on doing this. 

Do you think you could get the article "the" in the visual filter so that the passage reads Yahweh instead of the Yahweh?

Regards,

Anthony

I think that this is on Logos' end. They don't lump the article "The" in with LORD even though THE LORD is their translation from YHWH

Jacob Hantla

Posts 7710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:49 PM

You could have so much fun with this if you got hold of an unsuspecting friends machine!

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 12:53 PM

I did this with two separate Filters.  One filter finds all OT occurrences of "the Lord" in English and the second creates the insert for YHWH.   

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 7710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 1:01 PM

Joe Miller:
One filter finds all OT occurrences of "the Lord" in English and the second creates the insert for YHWH.

Except they don't always match, do they?

Posts 2460
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 1:03 PM

Mark Barnes:

Joe Miller:
One filter finds all OT occurrences of "the Lord" in English and the second creates the insert for YHWH.

Except they don't always match, do they?

No that won't work 100% of the time:

Jacob Hantla

Posts 2460
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 1:08 PM

This is why it is important to tie it to YHWH instead of the Lord. I might miss this kind of thing without visual filters:

Jacob Hantla

Posts 7710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 1:17 PM

Here's a string, which ought to work, but doesn't

(<Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ANDEQUALS Lord) AFTER 1 WORD the

It adds the "Yahweh" in twice - once for each word. Is that a bug?

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 1:20 PM

Jacob,

good catch, I thought it was getting them all, but I had not not seen the example you had Jacob.  That does make it tougher to get rid of the article. 

Mark,

I think this is something Melissa is aware of and has submitted, but maybe she can confirm it.  

Posts 231
Tom Geswein | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 2:05 PM

I tried tying the filter to "the LORD" and it seems to be working and replacing "the" as well.   Please correct me if I'm wrong:

This also seems to work for bibles that do not have a reverse interlinear.

"It seems our problems solve themselves when we look beyond us to those truly in hell."  -  Beyond Our Suffering - AILD

Posts 7710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 2:17 PM

This is wrong unfortunately, for several reasons (assuming the ESV for the example):

• There are 315 occassions where YHWH is used, but it's not translated as "Lord" (search for <Lemma = af/he/יהוה> NOTEQUALS "Lord" to find them).
  • There are at least 654 occassions where Lord does translate YHWH, but it's not "the Lord" (search for (<Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ANDEQUALS "Lord") ANDNOT "the Lord" to find some of them).
  • Also, you're not doing a case-sensitive search, which means you'll be getting several false positives(search for ("Lord" NOTEQUALS <Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ) AND "the Lord" to get an approximate list).
Posts 330
Ken S | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 2:21 PM

Thanks Jaco for sharing, I had not thought of using filters for that. It's a pretty cool concept. If it can catch the article as well then it would be really awesome.

In Christ,

Ken

Dell Studio 1555; 15.6" True Life LCD; Intel® Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.20 GHz, 2M Cache, 800 MHz FSB ; 500GB 5400 HDD; 4GB RAM, Win 7,IE8

http://wiki.logos.com/

Posts 29
Steve M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 2:21 PM

Mark Barnes:

You could have so much fun with this if you got hold of an unsuspecting friends machine!

Haha!  Wonderful.  I really did laugh out loud at this.

Mark Barnes:

It seems this is a pretty fundamental thing with how L4 handles searches.  Any time you do a search like this where a term serves as a condition for another term (like using the NEAR or WITHIN X WORDS keywords) the results include both terms (effectively double-counting the actual instances that fulfill the condition).  Another way of saying it is that it's reversible with no term being primary and the other just a secondary condition.  So 

the BEFORE 1 WORD (<Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ANDEQUALS Lord)

returns the same results as 

even though in the first case I really only want it to pick out "the" and not "Lord" and in the second case I really only want it to pick out "Lord" and not "the".  I agree that it should be fixed but I think it could take some work to get the parsing engine to figure out which search term is the "primary" one that you are actually looking for as opposed to the secondary conditions you put on it.

The result is that any filter that uses a condition will highlight both the primary term and the condition.

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 2:59 PM

Mark Barnes:

This is wrong unfortunately, for several reasons (assuming the ESV for the example):

• There are 315 occassions where YHWH is used, but it's not translated as "Lord" (search for <Lemma = af/he/יהוה> NOTEQUALS "Lord" to find them).
  • There are at least 654 occassions where Lord does translate YHWH, but it's not "the Lord" (search for (<Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ANDEQUALS "Lord") ANDNOT "the Lord" to find some of them).
  • Also, you're not doing a case-sensitive search, which means you'll be getting several false positives(search for ("Lord" NOTEQUALS <Lemma = af/he/יהוה> ) AND "the Lord" to get an approximate list).

I have not been able to confirm this yet, so let me ask. Did you restrict the english search for "the Lord" to the OT?  Or do those hits include the NT?  — which obviously we don't want :-)

Posts 29
Steve M. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:06 PM

Mark Barnes:

Oh, actually, what I described in my last post is a separate issue.  You're talking about the fact that it currently applies highlight markings such as Label Text (which don't change the surface text itself but rather add in something new) twice when the search returns multiple words.  I guess this makes more sense when a search returns multiple words separated by intervening text.  (Like if I search for "disciple WITHIN 3 WORDS loved" and get "disciple whom Jesus loved" I'd want the highlight to apply to both "disciple" and "loved" but not "whom Jesus").  But it looks especially funny if the two words are together (like "the" and "LORD") and the extra element shows up twice in a row..  Would you want it to be coded so that highlighting that changes text font/color/etc. is applied to both words but extra elements like Label Text are only applied to one word?  For example both "the" and "LORD" could be highlighted in red but only "LORD" would get the superscript label.  That would require some extra level of distinction to tell which work gets which parts of the highlighting.

Posts 7710
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 13 2010 3:09 PM

Joe Miller:
Did you restrict the english search for "the Lord" to the OT?

No, they're just OT. Most of the first ones are "Lord GOD". Most of the second ones are "O Lord". Most of the third ones (which is not an accurate list) are Adonai, or where the YHWH is assumed but not stated.

Page 1 of 6 (113 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS