Changing LORD to Yahweh

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
This post has 112 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 6:01 AM

OK, I seem to be having a problem and I'm not sure if it is a bug or not.

I am trying to replace the Hebrew in the search criteria with HebrewStrongs numbers, but I seem to be running into a few issues.

When I use the HebrewStrongs in the search criteria (left) side of the Visual Filter I am getting weird results.  (NOTE: The search criteria that I am using is <HebrewStrongs=#3068>)

For example, in the NASB, in Gen 15:2, it is inserting YHWHGod in the superscript, when it should be just God.

Also, in the ESV, KJV, and NRSV, it isn't working as expected, but that seems to be because the Strong's #s are missing from the ESV for YHWH (H3068).  For example, in Gen 15:1, the word Lord is missing the Strong's number.  There are many other verses 

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:12 AM

I wanted to do something similar in the N.T.  I noticed in the LXX that they translated the first part of God's name as εγω ειμι in Ex. 3:14.  So I thought I would make a visual filter for the "I AM" sayings in the gospel of John.  So first I ran a morph search for "εγω ειμι" and restricted it to John, which gave me a list of Jesus' "I AM" sayings.  But in John 9:9 the blind man uses this expression.  So I further restricted my search to exclude chapter 9.  This yielded the 23 hits I was looking for.  Since I was searching a phrase, I then copied the search to a passage list.  Then I restricted my visual filter to this passage list and only chose ειμι so that it wouldn't insert my highlight twice.  Now I have a small superscript by the "I AM" sayings that I can quickly turn off or on.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                .

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 25585
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:24 AM

GeoPappas:
When I use the HebrewStrongs in the search criteria (left) side of the Visual Filter I am getting weird results.

The NASB95 has a problem with Strong's searches that was notified last year! It returns twice as many results as it should and I woudn't be surprised they affect your filter. Does it occur with other reverse interlinear resources?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25585
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:41 AM

GeoPappas:
Also, in the ESV, KJV, and NRSV, it isn't working as expected, but that seems to be because the Strong's #s are missing from the ESV for YHWH (H3068).  For example, in Gen 15:1, the word Lord is missing the Strong's number.  There are many other verses 

Well done! There are at least 68 instances where the ESV is missing the Strong's number for LORD. This is easily seen when running a search for <H3068> in both ESV and NASB95 and merging the Passage Lists created from those searches!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 124
GeoPappas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:44 AM

Dave Hooton:

GeoPappas:

Well done! There are at least 68 instances where the ESV is missing the Strong's number for LORD. This is easily seen when running a search for <H3068> in both ESV and NASB95 and merging the Passage Lists created from those searches!

So does that mean that this is a bug?

Posts 25585
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 8:13 AM

GeoPappas:
So does that mean that this is a bug?

It's a resource problem and I've sent an email to revint@logos.com  as per http://www.logos.com/support/reportaproblem

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 8:27 AM

Kevin Becker:
I got it to work. Could you post logs from the crash?

Hi Kevin,

Glad to know that it works...will have to work on this later, however, as I fly international tomorrow and I have some things I need to do. Thanks for the help!

Charlene

Posts 21
Eric L. Keefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:54 PM

I seem to be having a problem finding the custom highlight I just created called Elohim (see pic).  It is not showing up in the list.  Can anyone help?

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 12:57 PM

Have you clicked the inverted triangle next to "Blue Foreground" and scrolled to the bottom of the list? It should be there. If not I would try restarting Logos.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:00 PM

EricLKeefer:

I seem to be having a problem finding the custom highlight I just created called Elohim (see pic).  It is not showing up in the list.  Can anyone help?

Highlights created while a filter window is open do not show up in the filter window's list of styles (they don't seem to be dynamically updated).  You'll need to close and reopen the filter window before it shows up.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 21
Eric L. Keefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:22 PM

That did it.  Thanks so much!

Posts 58
Emery Horvath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:41 PM

Jacob Hantla:

Thanks.

This technique obviously could be used to do this for any word. Differentiation among the greek words for love could be a good use too. 

How would you set this up?

Emery,

The natural plus the supernatural together make an explosive force for God.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:53 PM

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:58 PM

Energized1:
How would you set this up?

did a step by step in this post How is this done? Custom Style? which shows setting up the highlighting style.
After creating a highlighting style, you will need to setup a Visual Filter to use this highlighting style (see the 2nd image on Jacob's original post)

Edit: if you need help with setting up the Visual Filter part, let me know.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 128
Nathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 30 2010 9:27 PM

Warning to mac users...  If you make the illadvised decision to edit your styles (on the MAC side of things) it will mess up your formating.  I had to delete my custom styles and the visual filters on the PC side to get everything back to normal.  Also, I tried to combine a Elohim (God match case = True to Elohim) style in the Yahweh visual filter...this doesn't work if "The Lord" is at the beginning of the sentence.  Solution create a separate visual filter for Elohim.

Posts 3763
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 9:25 AM

Jerry Mclean:
 Francis, after reading this post, this is a visual filter I implemented.  The "Pl" is not very intrusive and is enough to remind me that the second person pronouns and verbs are plural

Thanks, Jerry for the tip. I used a variation, using PL both for pronouns and verbs. I reduced the size of the superscript label to 60% and gave it a green colour so as to obtain both visibility and unobstructiveness.

Blessings.

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 31 2010 10:07 AM

Francis:
. I reduced the size of the superscript label to 60% and gave it a green colour

Yes, this works well.  I was pondering a system that would give grammatical clues without being overly intrusive.  For example we have superscripts for number.  We could use a solid color for mood and a colored underline for tense.  I was already using the green solid color for imperatives because I wanted the commands of Jesus to stand out and I thought the future tense might be an indication of promises so I had a VF underline for them.  I remember one poster had grammatical shorthand under the line.  That seemed to work, but increased the line spacing.  If anyone has any input on further refinements of this, please respond.  Thanks to those who took the time to post ideas on the wiki.  

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:27 AM

One of those "How come?" questions . . . I have a morphological search for יהוה  Visual Filter with a style to superscript this before the word.

([field bible, content] <lemma = af/he/יהוה>)

It's working great, except, I'm getting an extra "e" in Amos 5.8 . . . Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

Posts 22655
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:36 AM

Jerry

Where are the other letters (a-d) coming from? Are they existing superscripts in the translation you are using or the result of another highlighting selection?

If the latter, is "e" being derived from this other highlight?

Graham

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 4 2010 7:36 AM

Jerry Smith:

One of those "How come?" questions . . . I have a morphological search for יהוה  Visual Filter with a style to superscript this before the word.

([field bible, content] <lemma = af/he/יהוה>)

It's working great, except, I'm getting an extra "e" in Amos 5.8 . . . Thoughts on what I'm doing wrong?

And, another "How come"? in Amos 6.8 . . .

Page 4 of 6 (113 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS