Footnoting a reference that does not have page numbers

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1
William and Marie Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 18 2018 7:10 AM

How do you footnote quotes from a source that does not have page numbers either attached to the copy and paste information or in the logos book itself?

Posts 9962
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:19 AM

Hi William and Marie,

welcome to the Logos user forums!

William and Marie Peters:
How do you footnote quotes from a source that does not have page numbers

that depends to a large extent on the style guides you are asked to follow (some may have specifics on how to cite documents retrieved electronically) or the preferences of the individual/organization you hand in the paper you are producing.

In some cases, it is dependent on the resource: study bibles would probably be cited with something like "note on <bible reference>", lexicons and encyclopediae maybe with "entry on <headword>".

In some cases it may be easier to just retrieve the page number from a paper version (same edition required!) in the library or in the Amazon book lookup, especially if the page numbers are lacking only in one or two instances you cite.      

Can you give some more specifics?

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 21851
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 8:21 AM

Hi William and Marie - and welcome to the forums

William and Marie Peters:

How do you footnote quotes from a source that does not have page numbers either attached to the copy and paste information or in the logos book itself?

It varies depending on the citation format you are using and the conventions of the college / publisher (assuming one is involved).

At the college I attended the referencing guidelines said:

"The following example shows how to cite a reference to the 4th un-numbered page of the document in the 2nd paragraph of the section on good practice.
Example: Baptist Union of Great Britain and Nigel G. Wright, The Church Members’ Meeting, Baptist Basics, 6 (Didcot: Baptist Union of Great Britain, 2009), un-numbered p.4, section on Good Practice, para.2."

Does this help?

Graham

Posts 27548
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 1:26 PM

Graham Criddle:
It varies depending on the citation format you are using and the conventions of the college

Yes. My suggestion would be to simply ask each professor. If you have 10, you may get 10 different answers! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1010
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 1:53 PM

As an aside, I really, really wish the product descriptions for each resource would indicate whether or not it has page numbers.  That's far more important to me when I'm writing a paper than, for instance, whether or not a resources includes illustrations.

Posts 27548
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 2:44 PM

EastTN:
I really, really wish the product descriptions for each resource would indicate whether or not it has page numbers.

I believe that (most) all "Logos edition" resources do... at least newer ones. The opposite is true of "Faithlife eBooks." 

Posts 1010
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 5:04 PM

I may have just had bad luck, then, with the topics I've been writing on.  My sense is that it has less to do with the copyright date and more to do with when the book was turned into a Logos resource.

Posts 532
Glenn Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 5:08 PM

JT (alabama24):
I believe that (most) all "Logos edition" resources do... at least newer ones. The opposite is true of "Faithlife eBooks." 

I was surprised that a few of the books in the just released https://www.logos.com/product/150111/ff-bruce-collection did not have page numbers...

Pastor Glenn Crouch
St Paul's Lutheran Church
Kalgoorlie-Boulder, Western Australia

Posts 27548
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 18 2018 6:24 PM

EastTN:

My sense is that it has less to do with the copyright date and more to do with when the book was turned into a Logos resource.

Sorry, that is what I meant by “recent.” I wasn’t clear! Glenn’s experience is disconcerting! Tongue Tied

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS