Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 90 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1931
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 23 2009 12:31 PM

Joe Miller:
No, this is not the normal way pre-pub offers look.  Zondervan is still setting their own prices.  My guess is that it was a condition of their willingness to make their stuff available on Logos format.  They wanted to keep control of as much as possible and that included price.

If you look at the Tyndale Commentaries, they are listed the same way. It's not a classic prepub, but rather a "pre-order".

Posts 1357
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 24 2009 6:36 AM

I found this on Zondervan's FAQ site about the Pradis/Logos transition:

"When will the Zondervan Logos products be available for download?

"Answer:  The new software will become available in early 2010."

Posts 2766
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2009 10:01 AM

JRS:

I have a fairly sizable investment in Z/Pradis.  Since the cost and availability of converting my current titles over to Logos is up in the air, I am going to download and hang on to the latest Pradis engine update ... before it disappears... just in case I need it later on.

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/Software/PRADIS.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan

Thanks for the linke and suggestion.  Great idea and I've done the same.

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2009 12:00 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:

JRS:

I have a fairly sizable investment in Z/Pradis.  Since the cost and availability of converting my current titles over to Logos is up in the air, I am going to download and hang on to the latest Pradis engine update ... before it disappears... just in case I need it later on.

http://www.zondervan.com/Cultures/en-US/Product/Software/PRADIS.htm?QueryStringSite=Zondervan

Thanks for the linke and suggestion.  Great idea and I've done the same.

I did the same about a month ago when I found the update after looking everywhere in the maze that is their website.

I really hope and pray that Zondervan will not make us re-buy the resources, I have too much invested in Pradis to fork the same amount of money or more just to switch format. 

I am still waiting for Zondervan’s Digital Resources email newletter and the details about the "discount" for current owners

Alain

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 25 2009 12:44 PM

Alain Maashe:

I am still waiting for Zondervan’s Digital Resources email newletter and the details about the "discount" for current owners

Alain

I personally don't expect it for another couple months.  Early 2010 will be the earliest those resources are released.  My guess is next summer (maybe late Spring)

What do I base my timeline on?  An uneducated guess . . .

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:43 PM

I have many "musts" among the Zondervan titles in the prepub list. There is one title however I would like to aks about since I am not sure what is the real value of the book. I am asking about the New International Encyclopedia of Bible Words http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5419  What is your opinion on that book? Is it good and useful for studying about some key words of the Bible? Thanks. What would be the better alternative?

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 1:55 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

I have many "musts" among the Zondervan titles in the prepub list. There is one title however I would like to aks about since I am not sure what is the real value of the book. I am asking about the New International Encyclopedia of Bible Words http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/5419  What is your opinion on that book? Is it good and useful for studying about some key words of the Bible? Thanks. What would be the better alternative?

You might consider TWOT for the OT and Spicq for the NT.  Don't forget TDNT.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:04 PM

George Somsel:
You might consider TWOT.

Thanks George. I have TWOT and I use it. Just now I preached on the word Chesed from 2 Sam 9 (about Mephiboshet) and it is very good. Do you thing I would not gain any more insight with the Zondervan tool? What about Greek? Do we have something more recent than Kittel?

Bohuslav

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:24 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

George Somsel:
You might consider TWOT.

Thanks George. I have TWOT and I use it. Just now I preached on the word Chesed from 2 Sam 9 (about Mephiboshet) and it is very good. Do you thing I would not gain any more insight with the Zondervan tool? What about Greek? Do we have something more recent than Kittel?

I haven't examined Zondervan's offering exhaustively, but what I saw didn't particularly impress me.  The major problem in my mind is that it is organized in accordance with English words rather than the original languages which makes it dependent to some degree on which translation you use.  I tend to like TDNT's approach of using the Greek and then bringing in OT words when appropriate.  I think the same could be done in reverse.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 2:37 PM

George Somsel:
I haven't examined Zondervan's offering exhaustively, but what I saw didn't particularly impress me.  The major problem in my mind is that it is organized in accordance with English words rather than the original languages which makes it dependent to some degree on which translation you use.  I tend to like TDNT's approach of using the Greek and then bringing in OT words when appropriate.  I think the same could be done in reverse.

Thank you George. I really appreciate your expertise on the original languages. Before I had Logos I used a lot Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary. Now I feel it is too old and I try to use TWOT and TDNT but it is too technical sometimes for just getting idea of the theological use of the word. More times I am helped by the commentaries, if they deal with particular word. Thank you again for your advice.

Bohuslav

Posts 91
Anthony Grubb | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 28 2009 5:01 PM

Daniel DeVilder:

I personally don't expect it for another couple months.  Early 2010 will be the earliest those resources are released.  My guess is next summer (maybe late Spring)

What do I base my timeline on?  An uneducated guess . . .

Dude, I like the way you think--so much so, in fact that I tried to find you on facebook. 

An uneducated guess?  You are being too modest.  Sounds more like intuition from other scenes in the software world.  I think it took Microsoft like 14mos. past initial projections to finally release what was finally named Windows 95, and similar stories abound.  We'll see what Zonderan does, if the Lord taries...

Back in the time when I first got caught in this format war, while starting out trying to add a STEP compatible EBC to my Zondervan NIV Study Bible Complete, I ended up running into a brick wall for discontinued products, etc., and getting into Pradis, also researched LOGOS at the time.  That was 4½ years ago.  You can test me on this, at that time I started the wikipedia pages for, no joking, LOGOS, Pradis, and STEP Library!  Pradis has been moved to the Zondervan article, but I think you can see it on the history of the others.  Found my emails from that time.  I was mistaken the other day about Pradis being used for some computer science work, it was Wayne Grudem's "Electronic Systematic Theology" in the Pradis format on www.bitsandbytescomputer.com -- just type "Pradis" in the search field.  Looks like it was also released in Libronix and Olive tree formats--Good job!

Someone at Zondervan had mentioned another reason they themselves got away from STEP compatible products was that development had stalled greatly.  Was doing some additional reading about STEP last night and learned it grew out of a consortium that LOGOS opted to not join.  LOGOS evidentally has done quite a few things right, and I'm left wondering, "What was Zondervan thinking?"  As time passed, I saw many of their own Pradis offerings disappear (i.e. NIV Life Application Commentary), instead of watching the collection grow.  Now I haven't found this particular email, but when in my frustration, wanting to see my library expand and my Pradis investment make sense, I emailed them, asked about additional translations, one was "The Message" (which I don't really like now that I've had time to look at a few passages).  Nevertheless, it's fairly popular.  They responded, telling me it was licensed to someone else.  Duh comes to mind, but I think that would be rude.  Format wars usually are.  And to win them, you have to work out licensing agreements (Zondervan may have finally learned this, but too late to do it themselves with the market share LOGOS has been awarded--if you can't beat 'em, join 'em is a good philosophy in the realm of software compatibility--even software that deals with spiritual implications!).  In any case, even e-Sword offers "The Message" for a fee!

One last thing.  I also asked about purchasing the New King James Version.  They told that it was licensed to Thomas Nelson (I digress...), and that I was the only one to ask for it.  This was like the summer of 2005.  One thing I'm seeing in this forum is several of us had parallel dealings with Zondervan.  That is just a little hard for me to believe.  BTW, even e-Sword offers the NKJV for a fee! 

Page 5 of 5 (91 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS