My Logos 7 is Snail Slow

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
James Goetz | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 30 2018 9:23 PM

My Logos 7 is snail slow. I am using Logos 7.16.0.0012 and my PC has Windows 7.1, 64 bit, and 3 GB RAM. What can I do to optimize the speed of Logos 7. Also, it opens up Firefox by default and I want it to open up Chrome by default because I stopped using Firefox.

Thank you for your consideration.

Jim

Posts 21357
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:04 AM

HI Jim - and welcome to the forums

James Goetz:
My Logos 7 is snail slow. I am using Logos 7.16.0.0012 and my PC has Windows 7.1, 64 bit, and 3 GB RAM. What can I do to optimize the speed of Logos 7

3GB RAM is on the low side - Logos recommended is 16 but I think at least 8GB is really necessary for good performance.

What processor do you have?

And, probably most importantly, what hard drive are you using? Is it an HDD (if so, what rotation speed) or an SSD?

How much free space do you have on your hard drive?

James Goetz:
Also, it opens up Firefox by default and I want it to open up Chrome by default because I stopped using Firefox.

I assume this isn't Logos-specific. See https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/95417?hl=en-GB&co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop for some guidance

Graham

Posts 17685
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 12:46 PM

James Goetz:
My Logos 7 is snail slow.

Welcome Big Smile

Curious about speed opinion of other programs ?

If many applications are slow, would look for common causes (e.g. earlier disk encryption that had snail sloooww effects on most programs OR over aggressive anti-malware scanning).

Logos wiki => Getting Started with Logos includes many usage tips. Having less open in Logos tends to respond quicker (along with knowing how to open more items when desired).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 3
James Goetz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 7:23 PM

Hi Graham,

Thank you. I read that the minimum requirement [for] Logos 7 is 2 GB RAM. If 16 GB RAM is the realistic recommendation, then that is likely the problem. My processor is AMD Athlon II X@ 240 Processor, 2.80 GHz.

I guess that a gaming PC is needed to run Logos smoothly. I will make sure I have better specs before I invest in a commentary library, which is more of a long term goal because finances are not yet available for my dream library.

Is there a web option that can run faster for the Logos freebies that I own?

Posts 3
James Goetz | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 1 2018 7:26 PM

The Firefox default is Logos specific while my typical default is Chrome.

Correction: My bad. Somehow Firefox was the default even though I stopped using it. I guess none of my other softwares open up browser. That was an easy fix.

Posts 17685
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:18 AM

Graham Criddle:
And, probably most importantly, what hard drive are you using? Is it an HDD (if so, what rotation speed) or an SSD?

Concur with storage device question. Personally replaced HDD with Sata III SSD (having write speed faster than 500 MBps), which noticeably improved responsiveness.

On an older computer with HDD, do remember many programs being snail slow while Logos was indexing. Hence, changed program settings for "Automatically Download Updates" to No. When an update is available, notification appears, which allows me to choose when to download and index (so computer can be busy indexing while am doing something else).

James Goetz:
My processor is AMD Athlon II X@ 240 Processor, 2.80 GHz.

Geekbench CPU => https://browser.geekbench.com/processor-benchmarks shows AMD Athlon II X2 240 @ 2.8 GHz having a single core benchmark of 1629

By way of contrast, Mac GeekBench of a 2011 MacBook Air (MBA) with Intel i5 @ 1.6 GHZ => https://browser.geekbench.com/mac-benchmarks has a single core benchmark of 2087, which is 28 % faster. My MBA has an internal 128 GB SSD (Solid State Disk), which does not have enough free space for my Logos library with many commentaries so used 128 GB USD thumb drive for Resources and WebCache.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 12939
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:37 AM

James Goetz:
Thank you. I read that the minimum requirement [for] Logos 7 is 2 GB RAM. If 16 GB RAM is the realistic recommendation, then that is likely the problem. My processor is AMD Athlon II X@ 240 Processor, 2.80 GHz.

2Gb is the official requirement, but there is also a recommended hardware page, which recommends 16Gb. So it runs with 2Gb, but not well, as you've discovered.

Personally, I don't think you need 16Gb RAM. 8Gb would be a huge step up from 3Gb, whereas 16Gb would only be a relatively small step up from 8Gb in terms of performance.

James Goetz:
Is there a web option that can run faster for the Logos freebies that I own?

https://app.logos.com/ 

Posts 1581
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:06 AM

I currently run Logos on a machine with 6 GB and one with 8 GB. Neither is "snappy". Both are way faster than walking to the way I did things back in school - walking over to the library, looking something up in the card catalog or going to the reserve room, finding the dictionary and commentary references manually, etc...

About a year and a half ago I ran with 4 GB. Even 6 GB is a noticeable improvement over 4. Logos is doing a lot behind the scenes, even if you are just reading a book. So if all you want to do is read that book, probably a simple reader like the web interface will be better for you.

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS