Search Question

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jul 3 2018 2:45 PM

Hi all,

Is there anyplace in L7 where there is tagging connecting pronouns and antecedents? I'm working in a passage where most commentators connect a masculine pronoun with antecedents that are either neuter or feminine in the immediate verse. I don't want to get too far out on the limb before I have some emperical proof that it would be better to look for a masculine antecedent (which exists in the preceding verse but is overlooked too often it seems to me) on grammatical grounds. Everything I know says that there should be gender agreement between pronouns and the objects to which they point, but I'd like to verify that if possible.

Thanks for your help.

Posts 17963
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:55 AM

Syntax Search, Morph Query document, and The Lexham Syntactic Greek New Testament: Expansions and Annotations come to mind for finding pronouns that agree with their antecedents.

Logos wiki has => A Strategy for Syntax Search

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 375
Clint Cozier | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:17 AM

KSFJ, thanks for the suggestion. It is the clause search that makes me think this is possible since it often has pronouns return as hits that reference the nouns for which I'm looking. To use any of the tools you suggest, wouldn't there need to be a tag linking pronoun to antecedent, which as far as I can tell doesn't exist (at least in the SBLGNT). Lacking some kind of tag identifying antecedents and pronouns, the best I may be able to do is some kind of proximity search where the gender of surrounding nouns doesn't agree with the pronoun. 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS