Name that Eng

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 15 2010 10:02 PM

I've been reading "The Book of Leviticus" by Wenham (NICOT; http://www.logos.com/products/details/5184#003) and have what is probably a silly question...but the answer has eluded me...

In some places where verse references appear, some references are preceded by "Eng" [see graphic]...Information says it is the abbreviation for Electronic News-Gathering.  I'd gather that's not quite right.

What am I missing?

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 15 2010 10:49 PM

It's an abbreviation for English. The versification is different in the English versions than it is in the Hebrew. The bracketed reference there is just telling you that Lev 5:26 in the Hebrew text is equivalent to Lev 6:7 in most English versions.

Posts 6602
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 3:47 AM

Take heart Ward, I did not know the answer either. Thanks Rosie.

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 6:19 AM

Thank you--I'd thought the Hebrew bible had adapted the Christian versifications...guess I've got more to learn

I do wish that resources (or digitization folks--depends on who entered this abbreviation) would explain the terms they use.  Perhaps it is somewhere in the back of this resource, but it definately eluded my searching.  It was odd the "Information" tool didn't offer the explanation Rosie gave.

Anyway, back to the books... Indifferent

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 7:02 AM

Ward Walker:

I'd thought the Hebrew bible had adapted the Christian versifications

There might be versions of the Hebrew Bible that have adopted the English versifications, but I'm not aware of them. BHS (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia) and AFAT (Hebrew Bible: Andersen-Forbes Analyzed Text) both use the Hebrew versifications. Of course none of the versifications came with the original Hebrew manuscripts. They were added later. And I'm not sure why there's a difference between the Hebrew versifications and the English ones. Martha (MJ) Smith is our resident expert on different versification systems so if she notices this thread, she can answer that question. I wish I knew of a good resource in Logos that explains the versification systems. Martha?

Ward Walker:

I do wish that resources (or digitization folks--depends on who entered this abbreviation) would explain the terms they use.  Perhaps it is somewhere in the back of this resource, but it definately eluded my searching.  It was odd the "Information" tool didn't offer the explanation Rosie gave.

They usually do, for uncommon abbreviations. But ones that are considered common (e.g., cf., etc., and the like) are usually not explained in books. They assume you either know it or can look it up in a dictionary. Eng. is a pretty commonly known abbreviation for English. So I guess they didn't feel it was necessary to footnote it.

If you do come across an abbreviation you don't know, and it isn't explained in a footnote, you can always look it up in a dictionary using the lookup (or look up) command in the command bar:

However, I see that Merriam-Webster doesn't include it:

Best to get Collins if you don't have it. It's the most complete English dictionary that Logos carries.

I couldn't figure out how you got the Information tool to show the other definition you saw (which I see comes from the Concise Oxford English Dictionary):

Posts 29293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 11:16 AM

In this particular case the Jewish text and the Vulgate divide differently - the Jewish version being more true to the content. The NRSV and NET follow the Vulgate; the JBS and NJB follow the Hebrew. The latter start the new chapter at what is Lev 6:8 in the former.

Soapbox: See why I don't like chapter divisions for reading plans or study pericopes?Big Smile

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 11:38 AM

MJ. Smith:
Soapbox: See why I don't like chapter divisions for reading plans or study pericopes?Big Smile

Couldn't agree more. I really dislike when I'm teaching and after I explain to the class that the following sentence goes with the previous chapter / pericope, most everyone in the class has that "But why is this way in my Bible?" look on their face...

I hope you don't mind me taking a little room on your soapbox MJ Big Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 11:47 AM

Rosie Perera:
Best to get Collins if you don't have it. It's the most complete English dictionary that Logos carries.

I was going to jump at your suggestion Rosie, but then I was wondering if there are plans to update this resource? I see the Logos version is two editions, and four years behind the print one...

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 12:39 PM

Paul Golder:

Rosie Perera:

I was going to jump at your suggestion Rosie, but then I was wondering if there are plans to update this resource? I see the Logos version is two editions, and four years behind the print one...

Well, there have been a few neologisms added to the English language in the past four years, but since most of the books in Logos aren't much more recent, the chances of you coming across a word in your Logos library that isn't in Collins 8th ed. but is in Collins 10th ed. are pretty miniscule. English dictionaries are one of those things that don't really go out of date very quickly. I used the hardcover American Heritage Dictionary I was given in high school for nearly 25 years and only rarely was ever frustrated by it not having a word I was looking up. (The only one I remember being quite surprised that it didn't have was segue.)

Posts 29293
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 16 2010 3:21 PM

Ward Walker:
--I'd thought the Hebrew bible had adapted the Christian versifications.

You are basically correct - except that the Christian versifications have never been standardized. Does the book of Malachi have three or four chapters? The answer is "yes, taking the or as inclusive".If someone had thought it through and aligned verse endings to sentence endings we'd be much better off. Of course, we could still argue over what constitutes the end of a sentence.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS