Speaker Label Data problems

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1933
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 27 2018 6:32 AM

Due to a project that I'm involved with, I wanted to create Visual Filters for all the reported speech in Genesis by the speaker. I realize that this data tagging is not simply straightforward (e.g. embedded reported speech would necessarily(?) have two speaker tags; the one speaking and the one being quoted). The problems were far more prolific than this, however, and I gave up on using a VF. Below is a simple example:

If this tagging is based on the English text, then it's super obvious that "but God said" is Eve speaking, and not God.

If, however, it is based on LHB as I assumed, then it's even worse. As I read the Hebrew text, the parts I've struck through in the screenshot are only Eve speaking (in other word's she's not purporting to quote God or even to report what he said here).

This data needs to be seriously cleaned up. In addition, it should be more robust. In this example, none of the verse should have been a hit unless I had something like {Speaker-Quoted <Person God>} or perhaps  {Speaker-Reported <Person God>} which to my knowledge doesn't exist. Am I missing something?

Posts 24689
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 27 2018 9:51 PM

The tagging is based on the LHB, where the whole of v.3 is tagged for God as Speaker. It doesn't delineate "God said"; which is in the middle of the text in Hebrew.

The tagging correctly represents what Eve said between verses 2 and 3

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1933
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 6:46 AM

Dave Hooton:
The tagging correctly represents what Eve said between verses 2 and 3

Except that this is not clear from the speaker labels. In the screenshot, it looks like a mismatch (God is not shown as a speaker in the context menu). Only by using visual filters does it become clear that all of vs 3 is tagged for both God and Eve.

On what basis is וּמִפְּרִ֣י הָעֵץ֮ אֲשֶׁ֣ר בְּתוֹךְ־הַגָּן֒ tagged as God being the speaker? Obviously, אָמַ֣ר אֱלֹהִ֗ים is a flat-out mistake.

Posts 24689
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 9:35 PM

Reuben Helmuth:
Except that this is not clear from the speaker labels

My Context menu for LHB shows both Eve and God as speakers throughout v3

LLS:LHB
2018-05-29T21:45:05Z
LHB.logos4

DB:REPORTED-SPEECH (from About Logos...)
2018-01-19T17:16:07Z
ReportedSpeech.lbsrsd

but it could be a Mac issue!?

Reuben Helmuth:
This data needs to be seriously cleaned up. In addition, it should be more robust. In this example, none of the verse should have been a hit unless I had something like {Speaker-Quoted <Person God>} or perhaps  {Speaker-Reported <Person God>} which to my knowledge doesn't exist. Am I missing something?

If you wanted the unquoted words of God, {Speaker <Person God>}  NOT WITHIN  {Speaker <Person Eve>}, {Speaker <Person Moses>}, ... would be tedious, although Moses is by far the biggest quoter of God (but I think there is some incorrect tagging in their conversation from Ex 3:13-22). A simple {Speaker-Reported <Person God>} would avoid all the quoted words.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1933
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 11:09 PM

Dave Hooton:
LLS:LHB

2018-05-29T21:45:05Z
LHB.logos4

DB:REPORTED-SPEECH (from About Logos...)
2018-01-19T17:16:07Z
ReportedSpeech.lbsrsd

Mine match these...

Dave Hooton:

It's possible. Are you trying this on a stable or 'test' release? I don't currently have access to a stable release to check there. 

Dave Hooton:
A simple {Speaker-Reported <Person God>} would avoid all the quoted words.

Just to clarify... as designed this is currently not possible, right?

Posts 24689
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 31 2018 1:27 AM

Reuben Helmuth:

Dave Hooton:

It's possible. Are you trying this on a stable or 'test' release?

It's the same on stable and beta.

Reuben Helmuth:

Dave Hooton:
A simple {Speaker-Reported <Person God>} would avoid all the quoted words.

Just to clarify... as designed this is currently not possible, right?

As designed, extensions like {Speaker} do not have parameters to modify the search. A searchable label e.g. {Label  Speaker ...}, can have multiple parameters. You would have to make a suggestion.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS