Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 29 2018 12:14 PM

How do I find out what source sam storms is quoting from? It just says 149..

"According to Peter Kreeft, purgatory “refines and purifies those who at the moment of death are neither good enough for an immediate heaven nor bad enough for hell.… Purgatory is like heaven’s porch, or heaven’s incubator, or heaven’s wash room” (149)."

Storms, S. (2006). Studies in Roman Catholicism. Oklahoma City, OK: Sam Storms.

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 12:18 PM

I am not sure why logos does not show the reference on this

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 12:22 PM

I searched Google for “refines and purifies those who at the moment of death are neither good enough" and came up with Catholic Christianity: A Complete Catechism of Catholic Beliefs based on the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 3191
Forum MVP
PetahChristian | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 12:28 PM

Sam is quoting from page 149 of Peter Kreeft's book, Catholic Christianity.

Blair Laird:

Probably because there's no footnote that refers to the original text, so Logos doesn't know what resource to link to.

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 12:46 PM

Upon further investigation, there are a couple of oddities.  First, the Storm's volume has no bibliography.  Second, and more strange, is that when I checked the reference in the Kreeft volume (I downloaded both to test), it will not allow me to do any inline search for any word.  If I search for "purgatory," it comes back as "0."  Very strange, but I did verify that it is on pg. 149.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 3:21 PM

Joseph Turner:
when I checked the reference in the Kreeft volume (I downloaded both to test), it will not allow me to do any inline search for any word.  If I search for "purgatory," it comes back as "0."  Very strange

Are you sure indexing completed? I own the book and inline search works fine for me: 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 4:42 PM

That is strange.  I just tried again and it will not find any word for that resource.  I will play with it later after I finish using Logos.  I'll restart.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 5:18 PM

Blair Laird:

Storms apparently didn't do his citations very carefully. He does mention the title of Kreeft's book in one of the locations where he quotes from it (but not the first). And he cites Alan Schreck several places with just page numbers and doesn't mention the title of the book he's quoting from at all.

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 11:30 PM

There are some styles that use author/book only once or even in the bibliography and then use only author/page inline thereafter rather than footnotes or endnotes. I've seen this in friends' work in psychology and medicine - don't know the name(s) of the style.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 29 2018 11:57 PM

MJ. Smith:

There are some styles that use author/book only once or even in the bibliography and then use only author/page inline thereafter rather than footnotes or endnotes. I've seen this in friends' work in psychology and medicine - don't know the name(s) of the style.

Yes, that style is fine and is quite widely used. But Storms didn't adhere to it, because it wasn't the first quote from Kreeft where he gave the title. It wasn't until later that he mentioned the title of the book. Furthermore, he never mentioned the title of the book by Alan Schreck. And he doesn't have a bibliography (as the OP mentioned), so you can't look up the book there. I did some googling of one of the quotes from Schreck in Storms's book, and it appears that he's citing Catholic and Christian: An Explanation of Commonly Misunderstood Catholic Beliefs. That's not available in Logos, so I couldn't do more thorough verification.

Posts 26277
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:20 AM

I have nothing by Sam Storm to check him out. Thanks for the added details.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1966
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 12:06 PM

NB.Mick:
Are you sure indexing completed? I own the book and inline search works fine for me: 

After a restart the search function is working as expected.  

Posts 4914
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 30 2018 2:18 PM

On some occasions when this has occurred, after trying reindexin, restarting etc the only fix I found was to hide and unhide the resource to force it to download the resource file again. There was no version change but it got searching of the resource working again. 

Joseph Turner:

NB.Mick:

After a restart the search function is working as expected.  

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS