Searches almost never available

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 7
Ed Eddingfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 15 2018 3:49 PM

I have had 7 now for a while, and have owned multi levels of Logos for years now.  My library is fairly large, and so I expect some updating.  

What I don't understand is why every single time (not an exaggeration) I bring up Logos that I have another file to download, another file to index, and that even now, as I sit her trying to work on a sermon that I still can't search because any file needing downloading, any file in progress, any indexing, and any complete indexing without a reboot of the software makes my search inoperable.  

I have had the software up now for hours, restarted it 3 times after completing indexing, and still get "some search results may be missing or incorrect while your library is being updated."  I don't have a problem - I don't need to reload it, I just need Logos to please stop giving us these ridiculous little fixes that stop my ability to use my software.  

It just indexed for the 3rd time today (yes, it has been a few days since I was in the office), and I am restarting the software once more.  Is there anyway to turn off these updates?  Is there anyway to just use the very expensive software that I have purchased without doing this daily?  

Okay, almost 5 hours after turning it on (and I use a smoking fast PC computer), I am indexing again.  It is a good thing that I can google things I need, because my $4000 or so software doesn't ever work.  

Anyone else having these problems?  I will eventually get it to work, but I don't have time to restart it over and over again all day long.  I sent files to help, but that didn't help.

Thanks!  LOL - sorry for the rant, I just want to study my Bible in peace....I better pray.

Ed

Posts 18380
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2018 10:25 PM

Welcome Big Smile

Many moons ago changed Program Settings for Automatically Download Updates to No (so could choose when for downloading and indexing).

Thankful for Solid State Disk that has noticeably decreased indexing time.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ed Eddingfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 15 2018 10:29 PM

Thank you so very much! upon a quick glance I did not see such a setting, but now I know that it is there I will look better or perhaps harder. Have a wonderful day, God bless, and thanks again!

Posts 4732
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 12:13 AM

Ed Eddingfield:

Thank you so very much! upon a quick glance I did not see such a setting, but now I know that it is there I will look better or perhaps harder. Have a wonderful day, God bless, and thanks again!

I guess that now you may have to reprogram yourself to switch it back when you finish work or leave for pastoral visit etc.

That way it can do its work while you are out.

I don't find my set up needs multiple restarts though it tends to download all the resources outstanding and then install them in a single batch. Almost every time a single restart is needed and many updates just happen in the background.

However I am using an iMac and I (almost) never turn it off.

Posts 18380
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 8:04 AM

Ed Eddingfield:
upon a quick glance I did not see such a setting

Tools => Program Settings

Another setting option is changing Use Internet to No, which turns off online features along with allowing downloads to queue up on Faithlife servers (to download, need to change setting back to Yes followed by restarting Logos to sync, download & index).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7
Ed Eddingfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 10:37 AM

Got it, and changed!  Thank you so much.  I do enjoy the use of my Logos and will hopefully enjoy it more now that I can decide when I want searches to be unavailable.  

Have a great day - may the Lord bless you,

Ed

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS