Searching a collection

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 16 2018 8:43 AM

Have the Theological Journals Collection, want to do a search on humanism. However, when attempted the search includes human, humanity, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to narrow the search to just humanism. Additionally, I tried "humanism" , humanism ANDNOT humans. It still garnered the same results of almost 99,000 results. Thank you in advance.

Posts 2648
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:03 AM

Larry L. Dix:

Have the Theological Journals Collection, want to do a search on humanism. However, when attempted the search includes human, humanity, etc. Does anyone have any suggestion on how to narrow the search t just humanism. Additionally, I tried "humanism" , humanism ANDNOT humans. It still garnered the same results of almost 99,000 results. Thank you in advance.

Try "humanism" ANDNOT (human, humans, humanity) be sure to tick Match case.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:13 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried as you suggested and the search results was zero. If you think of something else, please share it.

Posts 18380
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:47 AM

Larry L. Dix:
Have the Theological Journals Collection, want to do a search on humanism.

Article search idea of Theological Journals is:

[match exact] ([field heading,largetext] Humanism,humanism)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:49 AM

With your help, I am now Big Smile  Thank you very much!

Posts 2648
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 9:53 AM

Larry L. Dix:

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried as you suggested and the search results was zero. If you think of something else, please share it.

Make sure everything is as shown. I got results as shown below.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 108
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 2:53 PM

Problem was solved by using the method suggested by Keep Smiling 4 Jesus. Beloved, I don't understand why using your suggestion didn't work? I did copy exactly your method but I couldn't duplicate the same result. Nonetheless, I am very appreciative of everyone's assistance in this matter. Thanks again!!!

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

Try turning of "Match all word forms" in the panel menu.

Posts 2648
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 5:06 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

Try turning of "Match all word forms" in the panel menu.

Andrew, of course, you are right. I inadvertently used a screenshot of the wrong example thanks for catching and correcting this.

Edit: My screenshot is correct and Andrew points out to turn off Match all word forms. I am correcting myself and re-establishing the accuracy of my initial advice. Sorry if this causes any confusion.

Posts 18380
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 16 2018 7:58 PM

Beloved:

Quotes around humanism are not needed for search of a single word. Search humanism ANDNOT (human, humans, humanity) (with Match All Word Forms unchecked) finds articles that have "humanism" while not having any of these words: human, humans, humanity. Comparison with Search [match exact] (Humanism,humanism) (with Match All Word Forms checked) shows a number of articles are excluded: e.g. "(a) What is Humanism" in Evangelical Review of Theology, Volume 3, 1979 (that has "human" within the article)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2648
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2018 4:30 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Beloved:

Quotes around humanism are not needed for search of a single word. Search humanism ANDNOT (human, humans, humanity) (with Match All Word Forms unchecked) finds articles that have "humanism" while not having any of these words: human, humans, humanity. Comparison with Search [match exact] (Humanism,humanism) (with Match All Word Forms checked) shows a number of articles are excluded: e.g. "(a) What is Humanism" in Evangelical Review of Theology, Volume 3, 1979 (that has "human" within the article)

Keep Smiling Smile

Thank you for refining my reasoning. Happy to learn at your feet,

Posts 2205
LogosEmployee

humanism ANDNOT (human, humans, humanity)

I think this search is not doing what you think it's doing. Compare the results of that search with just searching for humanism (making sure you have "Match all word forms" turned off.

The AND NOT operator looks for articles where the left term occurs, and where the right term does not occur anywhere in the same article (even if separated by multiple paragraphs). If you were doing a Bible search, it would look for occurrences in the same verse, rather than article. This means if "humanism" is mentioned in one place, and then a couple articles later, "human" is mentioned, then it's not going to be in the result.

When you are looking for places where a word is one thing, but not something else, you want to be using the NOT INTERSECTS operator (before that existed, you would instead use the NOT EQUALS operator). If you run humanism NOT INTERSECTS (human, humans, humanity) and compare the results with humanism, you'll find that they are different again. The reason for this is that there are some footnotes that include the term "humanism", The contents of footnotes are all treated as if they are at the same location in the text as where the footnote marker is placed. This means that they look like the same term. This is usually a more useful operator in Bible searches where you are looking for instances of a specific word that don't have certain tagging.

Ultimately, the right answer is to search for humanism with "Match all word forms" turned off.

Posts 2648
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 17 2018 6:47 AM

Thank you Andrew for the insights.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS