Any thoughts on the iPad 2018 (not iPad Pro)?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:30 AM

I'm seriously looking into the iPad 2018 6th Generation. The cost of an iPad is finally within a little reach. Smile

Has anyone used this for Logos? Would you recommend the 32G or the 128G? In general, what do you think of this iPad for Logos?

If I get this iPad, it will be my 1st iPad. I will be primarily using it for the LORD. Bible Study, delivering an occasional message, maybe reading Scripture in public (although I generally read from a standard leather bible for this), etc. Oh, and also will be letting my granddaughter do her drawings. Smile

Thank you for all comments and advice on this. I will most likely be purchasing during the 1st week of September.

Posts 1214
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 10:40 AM

There are iPad refreshes coming imminently, perhaps as soon as Sept 12. That’s why the Macrumors Buyer’s Guide for the iPad line is all “don’t buy” or “caution”, depending on the model. 

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

"The whole modern world has divided itself into Conservatives and Progressives. The business of Progressives is to go on making mistakes. The business of Conservatives is to prevent mistakes from being corrected."- G.K. Chesterton

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 11:09 AM

Ben:

There are iPad refreshes coming imminently, perhaps as soon as Sept 12. That’s why the Macrumors Buyer’s Guide for the iPad line is all “don’t buy” or “caution”, depending on the model. 

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

Thanks Ben; It looks like the model I'm interested in is "Neutral". I have to keep an eye out as September approaches. Hopefully, the prices will still be affordable. Before I became set on an iPad this time, I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy line with the S-Pen. I have seen the price of those vary as much as $100 within a couple of months. Tablets and laptops are beginning to fluctuate in price just as memory did.

The iPads are so much supported in Bible Study and ministry, which is one reason I definitely want to go with Apple this time, and also, my eyes are not what they used to be. Funny thing is that the last time I had an Apple anything was when I was building the Apple generics of the early 80's. Smile

Posts 869
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 12:26 PM

I have that iPad. It is perfect with Logos.  Nice and fast. I think they won’t update it for a few more months. IMHO a great choice and far more useful than an android tablet. I’ve had both. Always get upgraded storage though!

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 12:40 PM

John Goodman:

I have that iPad. It is perfect with Logos.  Nice and fast. I think they won’t update it for a few more months. IMHO a great choice and far more useful than an android tablet. I’ve had both. Always get upgraded storage though!

Thanks John; Good to hear. Smile

I am leaning towards the 128G model. Although it is $100 more, it is still within reach, and as I understand it, the iPad (none of them) cannot be upgraded with SD memory and such.

Posts 26336
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 1:31 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
I am leaning towards the 128G model. Although it is $100 more, it is still within reach, and as I understand it, the iPad (none of them) cannot be upgraded with SD memory and such.

That is true. Depending upon your needs, it may be a good choice. However, I don't think Logos should be a reason to update to the larger one. You should NOT download all of your library. 

I have downloaded netflix shows for the kids for the long car rides onto my iPad Pro. I have a 32 GB device and used around 6 GB on videos. If I had to choose between extra space on my iPhone vs. my iPad, there would be no choice... the iPhone. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2018 6:46 PM

JT (alabama24):

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

That is true. Depending upon your needs, it may be a good choice. However, I don't think Logos should be a reason to update to the larger one. You should NOT download all of your library. 

I have downloaded netflix shows for the kids for the long car rides onto my iPad Pro. I have a 32 GB device and used around 6 GB on videos. If I had to choose between extra space on my iPhone vs. my iPad, there would be no choice... the iPhone. 

Thanks JT; Sounds good. Concerning the Faithlife Apps on my current Note5 phone, I keep somewhere around 20 downloaded resources on it. The 20 resources are spread between 3 Apps (Bible, Study Bible, and FL Ebooks) with no duplication except for my standard bible translation which I have duplicated on the Bible and Study Bible Apps. I have the 32G Note 5 model and it's running out of space (I believe because of pictures). On the iPad, I plan on primarily running the 3 Faithlife Apps, Netflix, Pureflix (without downloading movies), and NO pictures (the phone is for that). My granddaughter likes to draw with my Note5 so she will be drawing with the iPad. I'll most likely have a couple of apps for the other 3 grandkids, but we don't see them as often as the granddaughter that likes to draw. Oh, I'll be getting the pencil also fo my note taking and her drawing.

With what you have on your iPad Pro (assuming you also have the Logos App on it), and that you have only used about 6G, it appears that the Apple HW/SW handle storage very well. When the time comes (waiting for funds), I'll get the 128G model anyway because it is still in reach. Currently, it takes me so long to get things, that I better get what I can when I can. Smile

Question: On you 32G iPad Pro, how many Logos resources do you have downloaded and if you doubled your downloaded resource count, would you still have plenty of storage remaining on it?

Posts 4391
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 12:12 AM

Hi Erwin

Your post prompted me to check my own device. I have a 256GB model and have used a tiny bit over the 32GB of the memory so there is a good deal of wasted capacity there. I have a 64GB phone and have used just 24GB on it.

I regularly run Proclaim presentations from both devices and have a few resources downloaded in the Logos App.

Your 128GB purchase might be the sweat spot.

iPads have a long life even after they reach the 'unsupported' time.  I recently gave a very old iPad to a toddler to play with and found that the parents were using it for email and browsing. My wife and father still use iPads that will not upgrade and find that nothing they want to do is curtailed.

One of the advantages of being in the Apple System is that (almost) everyone with an iPad is using the latest software so when you ask for support folk can get their machine out - test the problem and be almost certain that the solution will work for you.

Wait no more that a couple of weeks before upgrading when new software versions come along and you will not have to worry about security.

Posts 168
Jesús Polaino | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 12:44 AM

I´m thinking to buy my 1st iPAD as well to use mostly with Logos and I have to decide between the 32Gb and 128Gb version... How much free space you have in the 32Gb version out of the box?

Thank you very much in advance,

Posts 2
Tommy Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 5:41 AM

I purchased a 2018 ipad a few months ago mainly for reading and there was about 28GB free before installing the Logos app. I keep approximately 6GB of resources loaded on it. 

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:07 AM

Mike Binks:

Hi Erwin

Your post prompted me to check my own device. I have a 256GB model and have used a tiny bit over the 32GB of the memory so there is a good deal of wasted capacity there. I have a 64GB phone and have used just 24GB on it.

I regularly run Proclaim presentations from both devices and have a few resources downloaded in the Logos App.

Your 128GB purchase might be the sweat spot.

iPads have a long life even after they reach the 'unsupported' time.  I recently gave a very old iPad to a toddler to play with and found that the parents were using it for email and browsing. My wife and father still use iPads that will not upgrade and find that nothing they want to do is curtailed.

One of the advantages of being in the Apple System is that (almost) everyone with an iPad is using the latest software so when you ask for support folk can get their machine out - test the problem and be almost certain that the solution will work for you.

Wait no more that a couple of weeks before upgrading when new software versions come along and you will not have to worry about security.

Thank you Mike;

Long device life is good (and a must). Hey, many of us cannot just go out and buy a new device at the thought of it. Smile

From what I'm gathering so far, the memory/storage management is very good on Apple devices, and they have very little junk apps out of the box.

The iPad is definitely the prevailing device for ministry and bible study. I will most likely remain a Samsung Galaxy Note user for my phone, but for the tablet, I'll be going with the iPad (previously had a 7" Galaxy Tab 2 which died).

One of the best things Apple did was to bring these devices within reach, and added Apple Pencil support to the lower cost device. The iPad Pro at $700+ was and still is just out of reach. I probably could have obtained a used one for a little less (still out of reach), but I have a thing for newness. It has to be new. Smile

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 20 2018 7:15 AM

Tommy Lee:

I purchased a 2018 ipad a few months ago mainly for reading and there was about 28GB free before installing the Logos app. I keep approximately 6GB of resources loaded on it. 

Thanks Tommy; This is good to know. I'll still be going with the 128G model, mainly because you never know what your storage may look like 2-3 years down the road, and I won't be able to just add a SD card and offload. I guess the cloud is somewhat of an option for storage of some file types.

Posts 2800
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2018 7:57 AM

The iPad is a great device for reading anything.  It works great for reading one's Logos Library, which greatly enhances the value of the library.  For serious study I still use my laptop, but for light study and reading the any iPad is better.  Well worth having.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 2:49 PM

Michael Childs:

The iPad is a great device for reading anything.  It works great for reading one's Logos Library, which greatly enhances the value of the library.  For serious study I still use my laptop, but for light study and reading the any iPad is better.  Well worth having.

Thanks Michael; It must have been a lot of things going on this day and I missed your reply (sorry).

Light study and reading while in church and out and about is the mission. Aging eyes also come with prerequisites in devices now (clarity, resolution, screen size, etc.). Smile

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 2:56 PM

I am now (finally) an owner and official user of a new iPad 6th Generation 2018 128G. Charging it now. Big Smile

I have a lot to discover now.

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. They helped me out a lot in which iPad features to look for.

Posts 4391
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 10:38 PM

Congratulations Erwin,

There is a learning curve and always (with apple) there are many ways of accomplishing the same thing.

When you scratch your head do not sit on the problem. Google should be your first port of call. If you can't get an answer there start a new thread with a descriptive title and we will be ready to help out.

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2018 5:49 AM

Mike Binks:

Congratulations Erwin,

There is a learning curve and always (with apple) there are many ways of accomplishing the same thing.

When you scratch your head do not sit on the problem. Google should be your first port of call. If you can't get an answer there start a new thread with a descriptive title and we will be ready to help out.

Thanks Mike; I'm already finding myself pressing a "Back" button that is nonexistent. Smile

Posts 4391
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 12:05 AM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Thanks Mike; I'm already finding myself pressing a "Back" button that is nonexistent. Smile

Is that the 'five finger swipe to the right' button?

(this requires making your thumb and honorary finger)

Posts 2709
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 8:14 PM

Mike Binks:

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Is that the 'five finger swipe to the right' button?

Wow. It worked, thanks. It takes a little getting used to though. For the time being, I'll just use the "Home" button. Smile

Posts 4391
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 11:47 PM

Erwin Stull, Sr.:
Wow. It worked, thanks. It takes a little getting used to though. For the time being, I'll just use the "Home" button. Smile

We have our digital dexterity clearly defined don't we Erwin?

Placing five fingers on the screen and closing them together reproduces the home button.

Placing five fingers on the screen and moving them to the right (or subsequently to the left) will move to the last open panel.

Erwin Stull, Sr.:

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS