Fact Check Preachers, Commentators and Other Bible Interpreters

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 42 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 613
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 6:56 AM

EastTN:

I wish the old boy would buy a second commentary set.

Lol!

Posts 3642
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 9:46 AM

MJ. Smith:
and BillS away from what the request was for?

Nope. Support the original intent. But "fact checker" goes beyond that. What's fact? The view that most scholars support? Most scholars don't think one Isaiah could have written Isaiah, because they believe that no one could have predicted so accurately . the book's internal logic (a quick survey below) claims exactly that Isaiah's words were written long before the events happened that he predicts. So yes, I'm interested in a survey of scholarly opinions for any given passage. But I'm not as interested in labeling such as a "fact checker" that leads us to think we haven't consulted the internal evidence. And since Scripture claims that only the Holy Spirit can open the Scriptures for us, I'm also not interested in discounting His input in checking the "facts." 

Posts 575
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 4 2018 10:10 AM

BillS:

MJ. Smith:
and BillS away from what the request was for?

Nope. Support the original intent. But "fact checker" goes beyond that. What's fact? The view that most scholars support? Most scholars don't think one Isaiah could have written Isaiah, because they believe that no one could have predicted so accurately . the book's internal logic (a quick survey below) claims exactly that Isaiah's words were written long before the events happened that he predicts. So yes, I'm interested in a survey of scholarly opinions for any given passage. But I'm not as interested in labeling such as a "fact checker" that leads us to think we haven't consulted the internal evidence. And since Scripture claims that only the Holy Spirit can open the Scriptures for us, I'm also not interested in discounting His input in checking the "facts."

I'm not sure the original intent has changed, Bill. 

I had hoped that the comments above had cleared up the idea that it might check whether one Isaiah had written the book of Isaiah.  It would only check what the range of views on that question was, how that range was spread over different church groups (e.g. denominations) and underlying theologies, and how it had changed over time.  I still haven't heard anyone suggest that it would do what you don't want it to do.  I know that using the expression "Fact check" has led to confusion, so I've written quite a bit here, attempting to put that right.  I'm not even suggesting that the tool is called a "fact checker", but it does need a catchier name than "a database of biblical issues and stances with faceted browsing and graphical functionality".  Suggestions welcome.

I'm not suggesting that we discount the Holy Spirit's input in interpreting scripture either.  That would be a completely different post in a different place, and one I wouldn't be interested in contributing to.

I still hope this is getting clearer.  Feel free to come back to me if not.  And please take a look at the Jude data to see the kind of thing I'm suggesting: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/156612.aspx (As I wrote above, the latest version of the spreadsheet shows a copy of the data transposed, which may well be the best way to view the original data.)

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS