Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:18 AM

Hello everyone.

I am a new user to Logos, and have decided I would like to build my library in Logos (after dabbling with Accordance). However, I detest the thought of having books that I don’t select myself. I intend to forgo any library, and build my own with tim, selecting books and packages to suit my needs.

Now I have read through the forums and understand that there is a product called Faithlife Connect (No Library), that would perfectly complement my needs! Allowing access to the datasets and features WITHIUT randok books that I don’t choose cluttering up my library.

However I cannot seem to find this option on the Faithlife Connect website? Was thia only for old Logos Now users, or is itbstill available for new users? Price is not the issue, Inwould happily pay $19 a month, I just want to build mynown library not the books Logos want in it for me.

Thank you.

Posts 27017
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:50 AM

I don't believe it is an option. However, many of the features require resources to function. I believe what you want is the "Essentials" Here is a link to the pricing: https://connect.faithlife.com/pricing  

NOTE: there are two pricing schemes: billed MONTHLY or ANNUALLY. The cheaper price is annually, but is listed as the "monthly rate billed annually" (i.e. Full payment / 12). You do pay that fee all at once.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4547
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 11:59 AM

Pierre

Welcome to the forums Pierre this is a place that you will find folk that are users just like yourself and many of them will chip in with advice.

I think you misunderstand (many people have difficulty grasping Faithlife's ever changing landscape of offerings so you are not alone) the concept of Faithlife Connect.

You are right that 'Faithlife Connect' (No Library) is only available to folk who subscribed to the old offering Logos Now. However Faith Connect has little to do with resources (books) rather it is a tool box of facilities that serious bible students might want to deploy in conducting their studies. Sometimes these tools rely on certain resources to work and hence that resource is supplied as part of the tool. Faithlife Connect (No Library) was made available on the basis that users had the requisite resources already in their library.

Firstly you will be quickly introduced to one of the other users if I have not got the above right.  :-)

Secondly you might, for now, put Faithlife Connect out of your mind until you find it has something you need.

There is no need to have any resource that you don't want in your library. You can limit your library to only those books you purchase individually and never go the way of purchasing bundles or packages. That is a choice that you can make but...

... the strength of Logos is in its research capability - it stops resources cluttering up the front end of your study - you don't have to plough through them but they sit in the background awaiting the rare call that you might make on their contents.

I mostly use a few bibles (to compare translations) and a few commentaries (to check my understanding) but every so often their is a reference to another work in one of the books that are my mainstay and a click on a link will bring that work up and I can check for myself that the writers interpretation is valid.

I have 8500 resources and regularly use only about 50 there are perhaps another 100 on my reading list however I don't begrudge the storage space used to hold the rest because every so often one of them on one point becomes invaluable and Logos finds that point for me.

The reason that I am able to afford so many resources is that I spot when the books I really want are in a bundle and then see if the bundle is significantly more expensive than the actual book or series of books. Often there is little difference in price and I sweep up a bit of detritus along with some very good background stuff that resides on the hard disk until called into life by a bit of research or an obscure quotation.

If you want a clean lean Library then just download the engine (Free of Charge) and add the books you want. No-one will force very much on you. But I strongly advise that you obtain the Basic Library (Free of Charge) to make a start just to see how things fit together. If it works well for you move on to the Starter Pack which is inexpensive.

When you have these two very light packs you can investigate individual resources and bundles and make your on decisions. Once again there is no compulsion to add anything you don't want or feel might just have some value.

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:01 PM

Thanks JT,

I understand that the features require the library in order to work. I would just prefer to buy the resources I want with time. I don’t want the ones that Logos have picked in particular, and secondly I don’t like the idea of subscribing to resources (to features it is a great idea, but not to books — I want to pick and own my books).

I guess the only way is to but a feature set then? I can’t do it via Faithlife Connect subscription?

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:08 PM

Thanks Mike,

That is very helpful. The dilemna I am in is that I don’t care for the majority of what’s in Logos Connect. However, I want to access some of the advanced featureset such as the Concordance tool and the Reverse Interlinears etc. so the free engine is a no go for me.However, Inwant to purchase my own library with my own books. I emphatically do not want to rent a curated selection of books. Whoever thought this was a good idea for Bible students did not think it through very well. Bible students especially are usually very selective in what resources they use.

Just to be clear I have read up and I understand that resources are needed to power the features. I am just adamant that they arenthe resources I want to choose (and OWN). I suppose purchasing the feature set is my bes option, no?

Thank you both very kindly for tour help.

Posts 4547
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:27 PM
Pierre Sandy:
I suppose purchasing the feature set is my bes option, no?
No - much of the standard stuff is available in the free engine - you get the free engine whenever you download Logos.
Pierre Sandy:
Concordance tool and the Reverse Interlinears etc.
Reverse Interlinears are available in the Free Engine. However the Concordance Tool will require either the purchase of the Full Feature Set or a subscription to Faithlife Connect. I strongly suggest you try a monthly subscription for a couple of months before laying out the full price of the Feature Set is you want to go down that route. You have me a bit bemused though, would you care to share which resources that come with Logos Connect that you dislike or is it just the 'loan' books that are available to subscribers each month. I do believe there is a way to decline those books but they are transient and go away once the month is up to be replaced by a new set that you might like to look at. Personally I have never had the time to look at them and they come and go without my even noticing.
Posts 2040
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:32 PM

There are many better able to give a complete analysis of options than me.

The lowest cost of entry would be Connect Essentials. But you only have the features as long as you pay for them and it does come with a library.

If you really want to start with the minimum, given the features you want. Then you want the Full Feature Set. Possibly purchase Logos Fundamentals first and then add the Full Feature Set to it. I think that will give you a nice minimum of resources, useful resources but ones that you will need like bible texts, single vol reference commentary, etc. plus the full feature set. But not the cheapest option. But you can also build a little at a time. Get Fundamentals. Play with it for a few months. Add Starter Features. Play with for a few months and then move up to Full Feature Set. Dynamic pricing ensures you can build up without paying (much?) more than buying it all at once.

Also, most of the options available to you can do on a trial basis. I think Connect has a trial. And all purchases can be returned within 30 days, I think? Ask a sales rep-though they will try to talk you up.

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:48 PM

Thanks again Mike.

Your comments are most helpful, and I think I might just pirchase the Full Feature set, then build my livrary.

You ask what resources Indon’t like. This isntwofold.

1. Indon’t want to ‘borrow’ any resources, I want to own them. For example, what happens when a new edition comes out (e.g. the gender neutral NIV of a few years ago, I loose my old resource etc.) What happens when Logos changes the contents of Connect Essentials? I never want to borrow my resources, I want to buy own and keep them. It is the software that makes 100% sense to subscribe to! I subscribe to Xero, Office, Adobe and it is a brilliant idea!

2. I do not want books that Logos chooses to clitter up my results in seatches, features, passage guide eyc.

For example Connect Essentials contaiins: 

25 Bible commentaries, none of which interest me. I’d rather purchase a Tyndale and NICOT/NT set.

10 Bible dictionaries that appear arbitrary. Now I DO NOT want these in my search results. I want to buy an IVP set perhaps?

A Greek testament that is not the one I want, etc etc etc.

Now you will tell me just get the package and hide or deprioritise those resources, but I think that is a pointless exercise. I would hide ALMOST EVERY RESOURCE, and apparently they still appear in the iOS app.

No no no. It is one thing to subscribe to a movie stream like Netflix, but you cannot subscribe to someone else’s book choices for you! Unless you know little about the books and want to experiment, which lerhaps might be Logos’ target audience, someone who wants to be intrkduced to a few things a mknth.

The n add to that random books coming in and out of my library every konth! Please!!

I think the Feature Set is thr way to go! Along with lots of good books!

Posts 2040
Forum MVP
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:51 PM

Pierre Sandy:
I want to access some of the advanced featureset such as the Concordance tool

One thing worth noting when considering the features that you want is that if you are thinking of the Concordance Tool as a regular bible concordance is that you probably won't use it in Logos the way you would a hardcopy because that functionality is available through other built in features. The Concordance Tool in Logos serves different purposes. Very very useful, but not needed in the same capacity as your old Strong's (if that's where you're coming from).

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:52 PM

Please excuse the many typos! I am writing on my phone at high soeed!!

Posts 6
Pierre Sandy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 27 2018 12:56 PM

Thank you Randy,

I jave had occassion to view the feature videos on the Logos website, and I think I got a good idea of how the concordance works. Rest assured Info not intend tonise it as an lrdinary concordance.

See, Logos LOOKS TO BE SUCH AMAing software, but the subscription thing just doesn’t add up (of resources I mean).

I jist wish I could have Faithlife Connect with no resources!! I had read a blog post where Bob said it would be available for newbisers at $15 a month.

Anyhow. I’ll just have to perhaps wait for Logos 8 in the coming months and pirchase the Fiull Feature Set. Suppose that gets me what Inwant :)

Posts 4547
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 12:44 AM

Pierre Sandy:
Anyhow. I’ll just have to perhaps wait for Logos 8 in the coming months and pirchase the Fiull Feature Set. Suppose that gets me what Inwant :)

There is no advantage to waiting for Logos 8. There is no saving in money to be had and it means that you simply delay getting used to the help Logos can give you with your studies.

I strongly suggest that you download Logos Basic .Once you download and installed this you will own everything that is provided in that package.

Logos Basics contains very little over and above that necessary to actually make the software work - eg the Treasury of Scripture Knowledge is required to populate the cross references section.

You would probably need to purchase a copy of your favourite bible translation (usually $10) and would be ready to go.

If you do go the Logos Basics route and find there is something you would not want in your library then you should check back here before hiding it in case we can warn you of a function that its absence would disable.

Posts 1754
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 28 2018 10:02 PM

Pierre Sandy:
However I cannot seem to find this option on the Faithlife Connect website? Was this only for old Logos Now users, or is it still available for new users?

Faithlife Connect Essentials (No Library) is available, but only by contacting a sale rep via phone or email. Logos Now members were grandfathered in at a special discounted rate, but others are able to get it as well by reaching out to us.

We intend to bring it to the web eventually, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS