Greek lemma AND search throughout Library?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 30
MVH | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:29 PM

I'm trying to configure a search that will find every occurrence of the two lemmas θλῖψις and ἀνάγκη together in the same passage or verse throughout my entire library (I have many Greek resources, including the OT Pseudepigrapha, Apostolic Fathers, etc.).

Can anyone help me with the search query? Is this a basic search? Search all resources?

Thanks for any help,

mvh

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2018 9:49 PM

For what you want, a Basic search. And all resources; you never know, especially commentaries, fragments, and monographs

I'd use 'NEAR'; lemma1 NEAR lemma2

or

WITHIN X WORDS; lemma1 WITHIN 10 WORDS lemma2

Often, this will pick up footnote occurrences; you may want to limit to not include, though again, interesting.

Posts 17956
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 29 2018 11:00 PM

MVH:
I'm trying to configure a search that will find every occurrence of the two lemmas θλῖψις and ἀνάγκη together in the same passage or verse throughout my entire library (I have many Greek resources, including the OT Pseudepigrapha, Apostolic Fathers, etc.).

Basic search suggestion for all resources is: (added a third lemma from Lexham Analytical Lexicon of the Hebrew Bible - Greek Alignments)

<Lemma = lbs/el/θλῖψις> WITHIN 11 WORDS (<Lemma = lbs/el/ἀνάγκη> OR <Lemma = lbs/el/πολιορκία>)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 30
MVH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 1:43 PM

Thanks for this. It works!

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 2:03 PM

MVH:

Can anyone help me with the search query? Is this a basic search? Search all resources?

If you need to construct similar searches in the future, you can use the "Morph Search" tab to easily put your search together with simpler syntax:

lemma:θλῖψις AND lemma:ἀνάγκη

You will get different results in the Morph Search compared to the Basic Search. That's because the Morph Search will look for the two words in the same verse, while a basic search will look for the two words in the same chapter.

The good news is that you prefer that broader search, you can switch from a morph search to a basic search and it will automatically convert your syntax.

Posts 30
MVH | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 4:39 PM

These are all great solutions. Thanks. I appreciate the help!

Posts 17956
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 30 2018 5:16 PM

Mark Barnes:

If you need to construct similar searches in the future, you can use the "Morph Search" tab to easily put your search together with simpler syntax:

lemma:θλῖψις AND lemma:ἀνάγκη

Basic Search option is using transliteration followed by selecting desired lemma from pop-up:

Screen shot shows first two lemmas after selecting from pop-up, which includes <Lemma = ...

Dreaming of search assistant improvement that would allow choice of ordering lemma and root before words in pop-up for selection.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS