Problems generating Reading Plan for non-biblical book

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 2 2018 9:43 AM

I'm trying to generate a reading plan for the Psalms of Solomon in Charlesworth's Old Testament Pseudepigrapha Vol 2. From reading the Wiki on reading plans (see here) I thought I should be able to use page numbers in the "Reference Range" box. However, though I have tried all the examples provided on the Wiki page (and the book is indexed to its pages), nothing I try seems to work. The pages I need are 639-670. I've tried adding the volume number as well.

Any suggestions?

Posts 29428
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2018 2:43 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
Any suggestions?

Can you say "Aaaaaargh, foiled again"? 

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

However, even the human readable format ("Westminster Confession of Faith Chapter I, 1" or "Chapter I, 1") will not work, because that box will only parse versified datatypes, and Westminster Confession is not a versified datatype.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2018 12:29 AM

MJ. Smith:

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):

However, even the human readable format ("Westminster Confession of Faith Chapter I, 1" or "Chapter I, 1") will not work, because that box will only parse versified datatypes, and Westminster Confession is not a versified datatype.

So why does the wiki say "If your non-Bible book is Indexed by Page number (see wiki Index) then you can specify which pages to read"?

Also, "You will need to enter a range value here:

1. Logos will recognize a few different methods for page numbers in your book:
    1. Just enter the starting & ending page numbers to read,
      examples: 149-225 or pp 149 – pp 225 or pg 149 – pg 225
    2. If your book is broken into volumes you may need to enter the volume before the page number,
      examples: v 1, pg 195 – 254 or v 1, pg 189-345 or v 1, pg 195 – v 2, pg 117 (your book will need to be Indexed by Volume as well as Page number)"
Posts 23061
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2018 1:16 AM

This does work.

As you note you want to start on page 639

Let's assume you want to read the background information on the first day and then move onto the Psalms themselves. Clicking on the Psalms of Solomon entry in the ToC shows this starts on page 651

Enter the range in the range box and then click "Choose an open resource" in the reading plan panel

Select the range from the dropdown and that session is available to be added to the plan

Repeat until you have all the required sessions.

Hope this works for you - please post back with any questions.

Posts 454
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2018 2:15 AM

Okay, so I guess I have to do it piecemeal then with the Custom Reading Plan? That's okay.

That's worked. Thanks for your help.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS