Can someone help me learn how to use these resources? :)(Jewish studies)

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 1203
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 10:37 AM

David Staveley:
But what ever you do, don't do what scholars of Judaism did of yesteryear, and simply equate what you find in the Mishnah and Talmud, and retroject those traditions, laws, and teaching, back in time and try to make out everyone in the Second Temple period were observing them in that exact same manner. We now know that a good 80% of the stuff found in the Mishnah and Talmud were simply unknown, or completely ignored in the Second Temple. This is why you can't read the old scholarly texts of yesteryear; works like Jeramias' "Jerusalem in the Time of Jesus", or Schürer's "A History of the Jewish People in the Time of Jesus Christ". Those guys got it fundamentally wrong, and to read them as if they were still authoritative is to allow yourself to be grossly mislead on matters of basic history. You need bang up to date histories of Second Temple Judaism. You need to get one from one of those scholars who refuse to allow Jewish "lore", "tradition", and "belief" to rule our practice of history. Sander's "Judaism: Practice and Belief 63 BCE - 66 CE" is the very best, and I highly recommend it. Get that at all costs. 

Thank you for all the advice (what a great forum community we have) based upon the advice I have returned the package and will focus on Second Temple Lit. 

Thanks again!

Posts 1203
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 10:27 PM

In addition to a survey of 2nd Temple Literature, I would like to pick up a book on the history of the period. What recommendations do you have? (Logos resources preferred) 

Thanks

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 4:25 AM

There’s a detailed article on “Jewish History from Alexander to Hadrian” in the Dictionary.

Posts 1203
Mike Tourangeau | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 12:26 PM

Thank you for all the advice previously. In this thread it was suggested I get either: 

https://www.logos.com/product/15718/jewish-literature-between-the-bible-and-the-mishnah 

or https://www.logos.com/product/47366/exploring-jewish-literature-of-the-second-temple-period-a-guide-for-new-testament-students For literature on the period.

As it turned out I already have: https://www.logos.com/product/47303/the-jewish-pseudepigrapha-an-introduction-to-the-literature-of-the-second-temple-period 

Do you think either of the previous two would be different than the last? I am working my way through Sander's "Judaism:Practice and Belief..." (excellent) and using "The Eerdmans Dictionary of early Judaism" to chase any issues I am curious abut.

However I have received a bday coupon and want to use it in the best way possible. Let me know what you think.....Thanks

Posts 76
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 12:50 PM

Mike Tourangeau:

Do you think either of the previous two would be different than the last?

Yes, they are different. As the title suggests, The Jewish Pseudepigrapha looks like it only covers the pseudepigrapha whereas the first two cover it plus the Apocrypha, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Philo, and Josephus. In addition, Exploring Jewish Literature of the Second Temple Period looks like it touches on the Targums and the Mishnah. The first two cover a lot more material.

Mike Tourangeau:

I am working my way through Sander's "Judaism:Practice and Belief..." (excellent) and using "The Eerdmans Dictionary of early Judaism" to chase any issues I am curious abut.

Both are great, I recommend reading all of the articles in Eerdmans. I also highly recommend Paul within Judaism: Restoring the First-Century Context to the Apostle:

https://www.logos.com/product/52325/paul-within-judaism-restoring-the-first-century-context-to-the-apostle

It will give you a different perspective than the New Perspective on Paul offered by Sanders and others. It will likely challenge your thinking on what Judaism looked like to the early Jewish followers of Jesus and also the non-Jews who became a part of this new sect of Judaism.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 1:33 PM

Mike Tourangeau:
Do you think either of the previous two would be different than the last?

I recommended the two earlier books. I'm not familiar with the Docherty volume (although I have it in my library). The books seem all to have a similar aim, with the distinctives noted below.

• Docherty's volume focuses only on the pseudepigrapha. That means works such as 1 & 2 Maccabees, Tobit and Jubilees are not discussed. It also focusses on literature, so history is barely discussed. I therefore wouldn't recommend it to people not familiar with intertestamental history and in particular the Maccabean revolt (unless you were going to look at that elsewhere). It's fairly short (67,000 words).
  • Helyer's volume combines both history and literature, and is much broader, covering the Maccabean period, the DSS, Philo, Josephus and the Misnah. It's a pretty substantial book, at 236,000 words.
  • Nickelsburg's volume is similar to Heyler's in that it combines history and literature, but covers a smaller corpus. There's no mention of Philo or Josephus, nor much of the DSS (certainly not of their sectarian literature). I don't have it in Logos so can't do a word count, but in size it's somewhere between the other two volumes.

My recommendation would be Helyer if you don't mind the length, purely because its the most comprehensive, and it combines literature and history which I think is important (you need both unless you're already familiar with one). Nickelsburg is a shorter alternative if you don't mind the narrower focus and aren't so interested in the DSS.

Posts 78
Phil Tuften | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:50 AM

All if you are a conect member, you get two free courses a year.  I am doing the one on the history and lierature of the second temple period.  Is a good overview.

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS