Clicking on Greek word in NT brings up the LXX Lexicon, why not BDAG or LN?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 21 2018 7:39 PM

I was both the NKJV and ESV reverse interlinears in the NT and would click on the surface or  text and it will often bring up the LXX Analytic Lexicon, this seems odd behavior to me. I have both BDAG, LN, and several other NT Lexicons. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Bill 

Posts 5903
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 8:13 PM

Bill check your resource prioritisation. It sounds like this lexicon is prioritised higher than your other lexicons.

William McFarland:

I was both the NKJV and ESV reverse interlinears in the NT and would click on the surface or  text and it will often bring up the LXX Analytic Lexicon, this seems odd behavior to me. I have both BDAG, LN, and several other NT Lexicons. Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Bill 

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 11:09 AM

This lexicon is not on my prioritized list at all (I checked that first) which makes it even more confusing.

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 2:38 PM

William McFarland:

If you double-click an English (surface) word,  it should bring up a bible dictionary or English dictionary - not a lexicon.

If you right-click an English (surface) word and select the lemma on the RHS, you can then choose a lexicon on the LHS.

What behaviour are you describing when you state that you "click" the text?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 3:47 PM

1. Open NJKV to Philippians 3:1 with inline interlinear

2. Double click on the manuscript words (3 different outcomes)

1. λοιπόν opened Louw-Nida to 61.14 - good
  2. ἀδελφοί opened Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, Vols. I–X—A–Z to Brethren (ἀδελφοί), which I would call an incorrect choice since I double clicked on a Greek word and got an English dictionary
  3. Click on χαίρετε and I get the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint - now very confused

Below are my prioritized resources, please notice BDAG is #2 but was never opened.

This is not consistent behavior and not behavior I expect.

Bill

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 4:37 PM

William McFarland:

• λοιπόν opened Louw-Nida to 61.14 - good
  • ἀδελφοί opened Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, Vols. I–X—A–Z to Brethren (ἀδελφοί), which I would call an incorrect choice since I double clicked on a Greek word and got an English dictionary
  • Click on χαίρετε and I get the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint - now very confused

You are clicking on (Greek) manuscript words, not lemmas, so you can't expect BDAG or Louw-Nida to have entries.

1. λοιπόν opened Louw-Nida to 61.14 --> that also opened Louw-Nida when I made it my #1 lexicon

2. ἀδελφοί opened Cyclopædia of Biblical, Theological, and Ecclesiastical Literature, Vols. I–X—A–Z to Brethren (ἀδελφοί)  ---> the clue is (ἀδελφοί) next to the English word. This resource will also pick up Greek headwords.

3. Click on χαίρετε and I get the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Septuagint  ---> If a word is not in any of your prioritized resources, Logos will search your other resources using its default prioritization.

The best way to prioritize is:

• prioritize your English bibles first
  • prioritize Greek lexicons  - BDAG, Louw-Nida, etc. followed by NT Theological Lexicons, then your Greek (NT) Analytical Lexicons, then LXX Analytical Lexicons
  • prioritize Hebrew lexicons followed by Hebrew Theological lexicons
  • prioritize your Commentaries
  • prioritize Bible Dictionaries/Encyclopedias followed by English Dictionaries (COED, Merriam-Webster)
  • etc.

Prioritize at least 5 resources in each category, if possible (especially for Commentaries and Dictionaries).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 22 2018 9:05 PM

Dave Hooton:
You are clicking on (Greek) manuscript words, not lemmas, so you can't expect BDAG or Louw-Nida to have entries.

Manuscript words will usually be picked up by Analytical lexicons. Theological lexicons have a detailed history of the significant lemmas in the bible. Therefore, in terms of frequency and common use, you prioritize pure lexicons (BDAG, etc.) first, then Theological lexicons, and finally Analytical lexicons.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 23 2018 10:26 AM

Dave Hooton:
Manuscript words will usually be picked up by Analytical lexicons.

Ok, I see two Greek NT Analytical Lexicons, the Lexham and the Friberg, looking at the preview (which I wish it would be easy to find the same word to do an accurate comparison) I don't see a lot of difference. The Friberg says that it also looks at the Majority text while the Lexham doesn't. Are there any other differences, or any particular reason to choose one over the other?

Thanks,

Bill 

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 4:29 PM

William McFarland:
Are there any other differences, or any particular reason to choose one over the other?

You should prioritize both lexicons, but prefer the Lexham to the Friberg, as that suits the NKJV, ESV and most of the English bibles with Reverse Interlinears. If a manuscript word is not found in the Lexham, Logos will then look in the Friberg.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 4:55 PM

Well, I had neither, but you are saying I should get both? (checks wallet, my wife is going to kill me)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 8:47 PM

Just my 2€, the Lexham is likely going to catch 99% of your un-morphed lookups. And Rick (the dev) has done a bang-up job on content, with a lot of cross-connectivity to hebrew equivs, cognates, and even the apostolic fathers. It seems to keep growing. I keep it in my layout.  They also have ones for the OT hebrew and LXX.

One thing I didn't realize was that Friberg also picks up on the forms in the apparatus for the NA/UBS series and Majority (not sure if Everyman's has an apparatus). But I've not yet seen a right-click in the apparatus, that popped to Friberg.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 27251
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 4:52 AM

William McFarland:

Well, I had neither, but you are saying I should get both? (checks wallet, my wife is going to kill me)

I misunderstood you. If you have to choose which one to buy then get the Lexham!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 121
William McFarland | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 5:45 AM

Thank you both for the insight. I'll pick up the Lexham soon.

Posts 19430
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 26 2018 10:05 AM

William McFarland:
I'll pick up the Lexham soon.

Product page => Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament shows inclusion in Lexham Press New Testament Studies Bundle plus many base packages (so wallet crying could include more with better price per resource)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS