Hyperlink from L4 used in PowerPoint misdirects to my Web browser

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, May 19 2010 10:38 AM

I used to be able to embed L3 hyperlinks in PowerPoint presentations used in Sunday School and when clicked from the PowerPoint show it would open L3 to the linked location. When I tried to do the same thing in L4, the hyperlinks opened L3. Not what I hoped to do. Not to worry, I followed the directions for modifying the Registry (found in http://wiki.logos.com/Hyperlinks). I was surprised when clicking on the PowerPoint link that my Web browser (Chrome) was opened instead of L4. Where did I mess up?

Note - I was getting the annoying security warning link before being re-directed to Chrome. I fixed that on my old laptop some months back (Windows XP). But the directions from Microsoft (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925757) do not specify which DWORD value to change, 64bit or 32bit (my desktop and new laptop both run Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit). Which to choose? Is there a Microsoft article for Windows 7 64 bit which I should use to change the registry key properly?

I guess I need help with both problems.

Thank you.

Posts 4547
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 12:35 PM

I had the same problem a while back with hyperlinks not opening L4. It was trying to open L3 and I changed the registry in accordance with Hyperlink instructions on the Wiki. I have no idea the links in Powerpoint are opening your browser. Can you post a screen shot of the appropriate regsitry key for PowerPoint? Is that pointing the program to Chrome?

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 12:46 PM

Fred - registry key for PowerPoint? It was pointing to L3, I tried to modify the registry so links would point to L4, but Chrome was called up.

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 3:26 PM

I restored the system to the restore point I created before attempting to make registry changes. Once again, hyperlinks from L4 added to a PowerPoint presentation bring up L3 instead of L4, but the Bible location for the link is the correct one.

Two questions:

1) How do I disable the security window which pops up when I click a link from PowerPoint to L3 in Windows 7 64bit? Where would I find those instructions?

2) How do I change the registry so L4 becomes the destination for PowerPoint hyperlinks instead oF L3?

Thank you for your help.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 3:29 PM

This happened to me once, I made an error somewhere in editing the key. It was a long time ago and I can't remember what the specific error was. The instructions on the wiki page were made on a 64 bit systems (I don't think there's any difference because of that, though).

Try again, if it opens Chrome again take screen captures of your registry edit and perhaps one of us will see the problem.

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 3:33 PM

I disabled the hyperlink warnings using the 32 bit DWORD

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 19 2010 4:17 PM

Kevin - Thank you for your two posts.

I modified my registry again according to the Wiki instructions for directing hyperlinks to L4. Rebooted, tried the link, and ended up in Chrome again. Tried removing the quote marks (again, as suggested in the Wiki), rebooted, tried the link, and - SUCCESS! Thank you. One task done.

Your encouragement to use DWORD 32bit worked as well! (I focused on the wrong part of the options, 32bit versus 64bit, otherwise I would have noticed DWORD is only 32bit. I think the other option might have been MWORD 64bit or something like that. My bad! Must turn up my observation skills! Ha!) Two tasks done!

Thank you!

Posts 2
Rick Van Ravenswaay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 21 2014 5:20 PM

Using Office 365 so replace the 14.0 directory with 15.0.  

I tried this twice with no gain.  So I mustered my bravery and:  

1) deleted the Security key completely.

2) Created a KEY called "Security" here by right clicking on the Common key and selecting New->Key and typing "Security"

3) Created a DWORD in the Security key by right clicking on Security, selecting New->DWORD and type in "DisableHyperlinkWarning"

4) Changed the value of this DWORD to 1

... turned an awesome weekend into an even better one... hope it helps someone. 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS