Linking commentary in Favorites to open to correct passage

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2018 3:10 PM

I am able to link a one volume commentary to any passage in Scripture and save that to my favorites by dragging it to the top bar and then adding it to favorites.  When I do this, it appears in Favorites with the word, OPEN before the resource.  Now, when I turn to a passage in Scripture, and then click on the resource in favorites, it will come up to the passage that I opened.

My question:  Can I do that for multi volume commentaries such as ACCS or WBC?  I am looking to do this to clean up my workplace.  I want to create a favorite commentary folder and place all my favorite commentaries there.  I want to be able to have on my workspace some open Bibles and one commentary.  But I want the ability to click on my favorites and bring up a commentary directly to the passage I have open. 

Apparently it is possible to do with one volume commentaries and with Study Bibles.  Is it possible to do this with multi volume commentaries in a series?

Posts 24552
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 3:27 PM

Mark:
Apparently it is possible to do with one volume commentaries and with Study Bibles.  Is it possible to do this with multi volume commentaries in a series?

No. They act as individual volumes, and will open only to their set range of books.

But you only need to use Parallel Resources  in the toolbar of the one commentary in your layout!  Make a collection of favourite commentaries and tick the Show in Parallel Resources box.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 6:12 PM

Thanks Dave

Posts 197
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 9:19 PM

You could always create a collection of your favourite commentaries, including all of the multivolume commentaries, and then use this collection in a new 'Commentaries' guide template. (Guides--> Make a new Guide Template--> Empty guide, then add as many 'Collection' sections as you have commentary collections' )

If you then add the guide and link it to your bible, it will automatically display which commentaries comment on the passage you are on.

The added bonus is that scrolling through the commentary or switching resources will not move your bible position, as there is no need to link the commentaries, just the guide, and you can leave multiple commentaries open.

Credit it due to Mark Barnes https://community.logos.com/forums/t/88829.aspx at the bottom of his first post is details on how to use the guide.

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 5:57 AM

SeeHisFace:
You could always create a collection of your favourite commentaries, including all of the multivolume commentaries, and then use this collection in a new 'Commentaries' guide template.

I appreciate this advice.  I tried yesterday to create a collection of my favorite commentaries and had difficulty doing it.  Can you provide a template to help me get started?

Posts 197
Kevin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 12:41 PM

I don't know if it is possible to share a guide template, maybe someone else can advise on this. If not, it should not be too much trouble to show you how to do this. 

Did you manage to create the collection of your commentaries that you wanted ok first, as this will be needed to be assigned in the guide template?

Posts 24552
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 2:56 PM

Mark:
I tried yesterday to create a collection of my favorite commentaries and had difficulty doing it. 

The easiest way to manage this is to tag your favourite commentaries. Group commentaries in Library by typing type:bible-commentary in the Find box, then select multiple commentaries in order to tag them e.g. Favorite-Commentaries.

When you create a Collection (Tools > Collections) you give it a name e.g. Favorite Commentaries, and then type mytag:Favorite-Commentaries in the next box (Rule). Click the box Show in parallel resources.

If you want this to work in a Passage Guide you must add it to a Commentaries section, otherwise use the Parallel Resources icon as I described earlier.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17823
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 4:19 PM

Mark:
Can you provide a template to help me get started?

Thread => Creating a New Series of Commentaries may have some helpful ideas.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1921
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 9 2018 8:36 AM

Dave,

I finally got this working.  Thanks for your help. 

Keep Smiling,

Thanks for your input as well

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS