Josephus' description of Moses

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3069
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 3 2018 8:27 PM

How would I find Josephus' description of Moses?

mm.

mm.

Posts 912
David Knoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 3 2018 8:51 PM

You mean Antiquities 2.229-231?

Posts 3069
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:03 AM

How would I search everything in my library, whether in his writings or other books that report on what he said about Moses and his appearance/description. 

I get a 1000's of results when I search: Josephus NEAR Moses. Need to widdle that down some.

mm.

Posts 13359
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:22 AM

Milkman:
How would I search everything in my library, whether in his writings or other books that report on what he said about Moses and his appearance/description. 

Just search resources where Josephus is the author for "Moses".

To do so, in a basic search, click on the All Resources dropdown, and type author:josephus. Then click where it says 10 resources with author:josephus (the number may be different in your library), and execute the search.

To find what other people comment on, then Josephus NEAR Moses is a good start. If that's too broad, you can try WITHIN X WORDS instead of NEAR (change X to a number that suits(. But in this case, switching from All Text to Surface Text will eliminate most of the unwanted results.

Surface Text includes only the text that you can see. It excludes text that's hidden behind popups. It's useful in this case because it results that occur in footnotes and references. Those are possibly still relevant, but less likely that Surface Text, so removing them helps cut out some of the noise.

If you want to focus only on Moses' appearance, try adding words that you find you're likely to find. Still do the author:jospehus thing, but use the search term something like Moses NEAR (appear*, old, beard, tall, short, young, grey, fair) or whatever else you can think of. If that doesn't find it (it doesn't!), expand your search with more adjectives or replacing NEAR with WITHIN 50 WORDS or whatever.

Posts 3674
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 4 2018 6:37 AM

Louis Feldman's treatment of Moses is not available in Logos at this point, but you should be able to read for free this: https://www.jstor.org/stable/1454861

Additionally, if you have Brill's translation in Logos, remember that it includes commentary as well including much from Feldman's (Ant 2.200 ff.).

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS