Starting from Scratch with Surface Pro 3

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2071
Beloved | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 16 2018 3:05 PM
I've run out of space on my Surface Pro 3. I have to back up my files. When I reinstall all I want are my 3 bible software programs (Logos, Accordance and ESword) Acrobat Reader and Google Chrome. I have a 1TB external hard drive and I am not sure of how I should proceed with this backup. Should I do a System Image Back Up or should I copy and paste the desired file from the computer to the external hard drive?What do you recommend? If copy and paste I'm not sure which files are necessary. Once I do this I intend to wipe the hard drive and start from scratch with a fresh install of Windows 10 and the mentioned files. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 24034
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2018 7:37 PM

Beloved:
Should I do a System Image Back Up

You can't restore apps from a file backup. But neither can you restore from a system image as it will use the same disk space as before. But you should backup your data files e.g. \Documents folder, Resources folder from Logos, and pictures/images/music that are stored elsewhere. Then install Windows 10, and re-install the apps you need (use Method 3 for Logos) + restore data files from the backup. If you haven't enough space for all data files, then keep them on backup, and access them as needed.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 2071
Beloved | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 16 2018 7:59 PM

Thanks for your guidance Dave. I'm going to tackle this tiger tomorrow or at least give it a go. Blessings to you!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS