How will the new notes system affect highlights?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 52
Bill | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 17 2018 6:39 AM

Currently when we create a highlight in a resource a new document/note is created. This never made sense to me, since I use highlights strictly for a visual to draw my attention to a certain text. If I want to make a note I create a "note document" and may or may not add a highlight to bring attention to the note itself in the text. I prefer not to have all of these "highlight notes" cluttering up my actual note document list.

My question then is, will I be able to make highlights without it creating a note document in the new note system?

Thank you in advance for info, thoughts, suggestions

Posts 21716
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 6:47 AM

Bill:
My question then is, will I be able to make highlights without it creating a note document in the new note system?

Technically when we create a highlight in the current system it gets stored in a notes document, it doesn't create one. Both notes and highlights are stored in notes documents. 

In effect, a highlight is a particular class of note - a note tied to a portion of text and without any associated comment.

Sorry - I know that's a bit picky but its relevant!

In the current beta of the new notes system (this is in 7.18 SR1) notes and highlights are recognised as different types

Selecting either one of them will filter the tool so it just shows either notes or highlights.

In the new Notes system, a Notebook is effectively equivalent to a Notes Document (in the current system) and either notes or highlights can be assigned to a Notebook but there is no necessity to do so.

Does this help at all?

Posts 1005
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 7:07 AM

Graham Criddle:

In the current beta of the new notes system (this is in 7.18 SR1) notes and highlights are recognised as different types

This seems like a much better way of doing things.  It was never intuitively obvious to me why a highlight would be treated as a note.  From the user's point of view, they are very different animals.

Posts 52
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 7:21 AM

Graham Criddle:
Does this help at all?

Thank you Graham! At least they will be seperated, very helpful.

Now my question is, How will it be handled if I create a note and in the note icon setup area, add a highlight to the note icon. Will it create a new highlight doc or just alter the visual with the note icon? Hope that makes sense, assuming I can still apply a highlight with the note icon that is.

Posts 21716
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 7:35 AM

Bill:
Now my question is, How will it be handled if I create a note and in the note icon setup area, add a highlight to the note icon. Will it create a new highlight doc or just alter the visual with the note icon? Hope that makes sense, assuming I can still apply a highlight with the note icon that is.

I think you are describing creating a "note by reference" as opposed to a "note by selection" - a note tied to a portion of text. If you were creating a note by selection then you would have the highlight anyway. So I'll assume that's the case - if not, please let me know.

In the screenshot below I've just created a new note on 1 Peter 1:3

Currently there is no highlight associated with it.

I can add a highlight by clicking the highlight icon and selecting an option

I went with the blue background which adds the highlight to the entire verse

But it is still recognised as a note and not as a highlight.

(Caveat - still beta code so possible to change but I think it unlikely in this particular area)

Does this answer your question or have I missed it?

Posts 52
Bill | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 17 2018 7:57 AM

Graham Criddle:
Does this answer your question

Great! Got it. Thanks so much for the quick and detailed response.

Very helpful!

Posts 2993
David Taylor Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 18 2018 3:54 PM

Graham Criddle:

Bill:

Technically when we create a highlight in the current system it gets stored in a notes document, it doesn't create one. 

FWIW: In the current notes system it can sometimes create a new note document depending on how you have your highlight palette setup. If you have them set up for a resource specific file and that resource does not yet have a note document, it will create a new one upon the first highlight. This is giving me major headaches trying to clean up the beta notes tool but it is what it is.

Teacher, Ministry Leader, Student, Author, Husband

How to upload logs

Visit My Site: Reformed Truths

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS