Custom Reading Plan

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 70
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Oct 19 2018 1:40 PM

I am wanting to make a custom reading plan with DA Carson's For the Love of God volume 2 and the M'cheyne reading plan, but I cannot remember how. I've done it before, but that was in Logos 5 or 6, I don't remember exactly how long ago when I did volume 1. I tried looking through the videos but couldn't figure it out. Can anyone here help ? Thanks!

Posts 4590
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 10:56 AM

You should probably find these wiki pages useful. Note that the page that opens in the second link already has the M'cheyne plan built. You will simply need to copy and paste.

https://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plan_$28Basics$29

https://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans

Posts 70
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:07 PM

Fredc:

You should probably find these wiki pages useful. Note that the page that opens in the second link already has the M'cheyne plan built. You will simply need to copy and paste.

https://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plan_$28Basics$29

https://wiki.logos.com/Reading_Plans

I know how to make reading plans through the Bible, and the M'Cheyne plan is one that they already have within Logos. I'm trying to make D.A. Carson's "For The Love of God, Volume Two" so it does each reading, corresponding with the day of the year, alongside the M'Cheyne plan, as it's the reading plan DA Carson wrote the devotional alongside.

If I just make a new reading plan and set it to read For The Love of God, Vol. 2, for a year, it starts me out on the preface, not on the reading for January 1st. This is what I'm trying to figure out and cannot do so.

Posts 188
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:30 PM

You should take the time and learn to use custom reading plans. You highlight whatever you want to read on an given day and pick the day to read it on. You have complete control. Depending on the resource it takes some time to make very large custom reading plans but I have learned it is time well spent. 

Posts 4590
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 1:43 PM

I do not have that resource so I cannot see how it is indexed (i.e. date, page, etc). If it is indexed by page, you could specify a page range that eliminates the preface. The difficulty with that, is that page distribution will not necessarily correspond with the daily readings in the book. If it is indexed as a daily devotional, then you should not need a reading plan. The resource should open to the current date.

Posts 255
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 8:11 PM

Matt Hamrick:

You should take the time and learn to use custom reading plans. You highlight whatever you want to read on an given day and pick the day to read it on. You have complete control. Depending on the resource it takes some time to make very large custom reading plans but I have learned it is time well spent. 

If that's the only way to do it, then I'll just put a reminder on my calendar to read it. I don't have the time to make a 365 day custom reading plan, adding in the book and the M'Cheyne Bible reading plan.

Posts 255
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 8:13 PM

Fredc:

I do not have that resource so I cannot see how it is indexed (i.e. date, page, etc). If it is indexed by page, you could specify a page range that eliminates the preface. The difficulty with that, is that page distribution will not necessarily correspond with the daily readings in the book. If it is indexed as a daily devotional, then you should not need a reading plan. The resource should open to the current date.

Unfortunately, the pages with the daily readings are tagged/indexed by page number in Logos. I tried doing a custom range using the page numbers and it wouldn't let me, it always defaulted back. It's probably in as a devotional, as I know it opens to the correct day, I was just hoping I could make a reading plan out of it so I would have that reminder on my Logos home page and app each morning.

Posts 255
Jonathan Bradley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 21 2018 8:15 PM

Yup, "Calendar Devotional"

Posts 9914
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 22 2018 1:05 AM

Jon Bradley:

Fredc:

Unfortunately, the pages with the daily readings are tagged/indexed by page number in Logos. I tried doing a custom range using the page numbers and it wouldn't let me, it always defaulted back. It's probably in as a devotional, as I know it opens to the correct day, I was just hoping I could make a reading plan out of it so I would have that reminder on my Logos home page and app each morning.

Actually it's worse. The preface and other material is indexed by page (up to page 25), the calendar devotional is indexed by date, but the page index stays at page 25 for the whole book. So the auto-generator is thrown off and distributes all the prefatory material over the year. This book would work for automatic RP building if Logos updates the index to include the remainder of the pages (which - as Fred already mentioned - only works correctly if the paper version was published with a day per page). Until then, it's the Custom Reading Plan with manually dragging the content of each day for a reading.

Alternatively, one could copy the whole book over into a word document to build a PB. Then you can build an auto-generated Reading Plan for the PB.    

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS